be life different in Alabama?

Dec 19, 2010
ahoy all,

In the past three decades, the number of Americans who get a monthly disability check from the federal government has skyrocketed. It's now up to 14 million people. That's due in part to our aging workforce. But in many pockets of the country, there's much more to the story. Factories and mills have closed and the U.S. economy has left behind millions of workers who now find themselves unfit or unqualified for the jobs that remain.

For many, going on disability is the answer. In some counties, nearly one in four working-age adults are not working because they are disabled, one in four.

In this part of the program, we're going to take you to one of the those places, Hale County, Alabama.

1 in 4 folks live completely on the funds 'o US taxpayers (them evil blue states, yarrrrRR!!!).

in a conversation that took place amongst a group 'o laddys who'd been put outta work by a mill closin' down in Alabama, this was the exchange;

BIRDSALL: It was an older guy there that worked for Work Source. And he just looked at me and he goes, Scott, he goes, I'm going to be honest with you. There's nobody going to hire you.

If there's no place for you around here where you're going to get a job, just draw your unemployment and just suck all the benefits you can out of the system until everything's gone and then you're on your own.

'tis a short piece to read, but apparently if ye live in Hale County, Alabama, thar be somethin' in the water or the food or what have ye, thats very bad fer backs;

JOFFE-WALT: There is no diagnosis called disability. You don't go to the doctor and the doctor says, well, we've run the tests and it looks like you have disability. It is, by definition, squishy. And in Hale County, one of the most common diagnoses is one of the squishiest - back pain.
In One Alabama County, Nearly 1 In 4 Working-Age Adults Is On Disability : NPR

does this forum have folks from the land 'o Alabama? i was wonderin' why this Southern, conservative, "personal responsibility" state hosts such a large armada 'o injured americans?

- MeadHallPirate

So how did American become the land of service jobs and put together cars, furniture etc etc etc. Are there Walmarts in Alabama? Foreign car manufacturers? Stuff imported from China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, Bangladesh, etc etc etc. Do people buy cheap stuff and do corporations outsource in Alabama, do corporate executives make exorbitant salaries in Alabama? If you call for service does an American answer in Alabama? Do the people in Alabama shop around and buy American, and do they tell Walmart etc etc etc that they'd like to see American made in Alabama? Do Alabamians buy status cars made by Japan or Germany in Alabama? Do they think Chevy isn't ego building enough in Alabama? Do they support labor in Alabama? Fair wages in Alabama? Fair taxes and most importantly an educational system that support Americans in Alabama? Just wondering....

Buy American = "Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? Buying a Honda supports more than 2 times more jobs." The Level Field Institute

Keep America | Made in the USA products
Mid Century Modern Furniture - Thrive Furniture
THE AMERICAN LIST | A Continuous Lean.
Shirts Made in USA by the All American Clothing Co
Clothing Made in the USA - American and Unionmade Clothing by All USA Clothing
Travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. The best materials and innovative construction since 1972 - TomBihn.com
http://toddshelton.com/
Case Knives - Handcrafting pocket knives in the USA since 1889.
American Apparel - Primary Basics,
Halo Headband
Newswear | About us

Bumper stickers I'd like to see.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.
Sorry, I'm not Japanese, I buy American.
Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.
Didn't know you were Korean!
When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.
Quality! our Buick, made in the US of A, is number one.
Buy American and Thumbs up!

"An entire century of human progress separates the worst-off from the best-off groups within the U.S., according to the latest update of the American Human Development (HD) Index. Read the report." A Century Apart: New Measures of Well-being for U.S. Racial and Ethnic Groups — Measure of America: American Human Development Project

"In corporate culture, keiretsu refers to a uniquely Japanese form of corporate organization. A keiretsu is a grouping or family of affiliated companies that form a tight-knit alliance to work toward each other's mutual success. The keiretsu system is also based on an intimate partnership between government and businesses. It can best be understood as the intricate web of relationships that links banks, manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors with the Japanese government.

These ironclad corporate alliances have caused much debate and have been called "government-sponsored cartels." While some think keiretsu are a menace to trade, others see them as a model for change. Features common to most keiretsu include "main bank," stable shareholding, and seconded directors. Some keiretsu concepts have no American parallel such as "general trading company." The keiretsu system is one of the profound differences between Japanese and US business structures." What is keiretsu? - Definition from Whatis.com

Hale county in Alabama:

The racial makeup of the county was 39.83% White, 58.95% Black or African American

The median income for a household in the county was $25,807, and the median income for a family was $31,875. Males had a median income of $28,493 versus $19,363 for females. The per capita income for the county was $12,661. About 22.20% of families and 26.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.00% of those under age 18 and 26.70% of those age 65 or over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hale_County,_Alabama

Last edited:
the Southern economy still hasn't completely recovered fromt he stupendous loss of capitalization it suffered when slaves became free.

Seriously...the southern economy lost 75% of it capitalization when they lost their right to own slaves.

that loss of that magnitude is still resonating 150+ years later to make southern economy less vibrant.

the Southern economy still hasn't completely recovered fromt he stupendous loss of capitalization it suffered when slaves became free.

Seriously...the southern economy lost 75% of it capitalization when they lost their right to own slaves.

that loss of that magnitude is still resonating 150+ years later to make southern economy less vibrant.

Things move slowly in the South.

Things move slowly in the South.

Yeah, I suppose.

The South's once vibrant economy was based on a resource that no longer exists...SLAVE LABOR.

Hale county in Alabama:

The racial makeup of the county was 39.83% White, 58.95% Black or African American

The median income for a household in the county was $25,807, and the median income for a family was $31,875. Males had a median income of $28,493 versus $19,363 for females. The per capita income for the county was $12,661. About 22.20% of families and 26.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.00% of those under age 18 and 26.70% of those age 65 or over.

Hale County, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nah, that wouldn't/couldn't have anything to do with it.

[MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION] LINK?

So how did American become the land of service jobs and put together cars, furniture etc etc etc. Are there Walmarts in Alabama? Foreign car manufacturers? Stuff imported from China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Malaysia, Bangladesh, etc etc etc. Do people buy cheap stuff and do corporations outsource in Alabama, do corporate executives make exorbitant salaries in Alabama? If you call for service does an American answer in Alabama? Do the people in Alabama shop around and buy American, and do they tell Walmart etc etc etc that they'd like to see American made in Alabama? Do Alabamians buy status cars made by Japan or Germany in Alabama? Do they think Chevy isn't ego building enough in Alabama? Do they support labor in Alabama? Fair wages in Alabama? Fair taxes and most importantly an educational system that support Americans in Alabama? Just wondering....

Buy American = "Because Ford, GM and Chrysler conduct far more of their research, design, engineering, manufacturing and assembly work in the U.S. than foreign automakers do, buying a Ford, GM, or Chrysler supports almost three times as many jobs as buying the average foreign automobile. Some comparisons are even more striking. Buying a Ford supports 3.5 times more jobs than buying a Hyundai. Comparing a Honda and a Hyundai? Buying a Honda supports more than 2 times more jobs." The Level Field Institute

Keep America | Made in the USA products
Mid Century Modern Furniture - Thrive Furniture
THE AMERICAN LIST | A Continuous Lean.
Shirts Made in USA by the All American Clothing Co
Clothing Made in the USA - American and Unionmade Clothing by All USA Clothing
Travel bags, laptop bags, and backpacks. The best materials and innovative construction since 1972 - TomBihn.com
http://toddshelton.com/
Case Knives - Handcrafting pocket knives in the USA since 1889.
American Apparel - Primary Basics,
Halo Headband
Newswear | About us

Bumper stickers I'd like to see.

Buy American - support all Americans, including yourself.
Sorry, I'm not Japanese, I buy American.
Our children, our grandchildren, ourselves require we support each other, buy American.
Didn't know you were Korean!
When the Japanese support my wife, kids, and I, I'll support them, until then I'll buy American.
Quality! our Buick, made in the US of A, is number one.
Buy American and Thumbs up!

"An entire century of human progress separates the worst-off from the best-off groups within the U.S., according to the latest update of the American Human Development (HD) Index. Read the report." A Century Apart: New Measures of Well-being for U.S. Racial and Ethnic Groups — Measure of America: American Human Development Project

"In corporate culture, keiretsu refers to a uniquely Japanese form of corporate organization. A keiretsu is a grouping or family of affiliated companies that form a tight-knit alliance to work toward each other's mutual success. The keiretsu system is also based on an intimate partnership between government and businesses. It can best be understood as the intricate web of relationships that links banks, manufacturers, suppliers, and distributors with the Japanese government.

These ironclad corporate alliances have caused much debate and have been called "government-sponsored cartels." While some think keiretsu are a menace to trade, others see them as a model for change. Features common to most keiretsu include "main bank," stable shareholding, and seconded directors. Some keiretsu concepts have no American parallel such as "general trading company." The keiretsu system is one of the profound differences between Japanese and US business structures." What is keiretsu? - Definition from Whatis.com

ahoy Midcan5,

well met.

what do ye think, though, 'o the huge amount 'o folks who seem to languish on disability in Hale County, Alabama, matey?

- MeadHallPirate

Hale county in Alabama:

ahoy Sunni Man,

aye, i was aware 'o the demographic breakdown 'o Hale County.

i also was aware that the county, like the rest 'o the state, be sorta impoverished. i'd also guess that the cost 'o livin' in Hale County probably isn't too challengin'. i mean, 'tis not midtown Manhattan....or even Charlotte, North Carolina.

what does that have to do with the large amount 'o americans thar who seem to draw thar income entirely from taxpayers? Alabama, a solid conservative state, also be a tax welfare state.

why be thar so many on disability thar? be Hale County a hostile environment fer homo sapien life forms, me bucko?

- MeadHallPirate

ahoy Editec,

well met, matey.

so Hale County Alabama has alot 'o its citizens on disability because 'o the fallout from the Civil War?

i'd not considered that, me friend.

hmmmf.

- MeadHallPirate

There is only one thing in Alabama. Football.

ahoy all,

In the past three decades, the number of Americans who get a monthly disability check from the federal government has skyrocketed. It's now up to 14 million people. That's due in part to our aging workforce. But in many pockets of the country, there's much more to the story. Factories and mills have closed and the U.S. economy has left behind millions of workers who now find themselves unfit or unqualified for the jobs that remain.

For many, going on disability is the answer. In some counties, nearly one in four working-age adults are not working because they are disabled, one in four.

In this part of the program, we're going to take you to one of the those places, Hale County, Alabama.

1 in 4 folks live completely on the funds 'o US taxpayers (them evil blue states, yarrrrRR!!!).

in a conversation that took place amongst a group 'o laddys who'd been put outta work by a mill closin' down in Alabama, this was the exchange;

BIRDSALL: It was an older guy there that worked for Work Source. And he just looked at me and he goes, Scott, he goes, I'm going to be honest with you. There's nobody going to hire you.

If there's no place for you around here where you're going to get a job, just draw your unemployment and just suck all the benefits you can out of the system until everything's gone and then you're on your own.

'tis a short piece to read, but apparently if ye live in Hale County, Alabama, thar be somethin' in the water or the food or what have ye, thats very bad fer backs;

JOFFE-WALT: There is no diagnosis called disability. You don't go to the doctor and the doctor says, well, we've run the tests and it looks like you have disability. It is, by definition, squishy. And in Hale County, one of the most common diagnoses is one of the squishiest - back pain.

does this forum have folks from the land 'o Alabama? i was wonderin' why this Southern, conservative, "personal responsibility" state hosts such a large armada 'o injured americans?

- MeadHallPirate

I'd be interested to know what portion of the 1 in 4 consist of former Alabama football players who didn't make it to the NFL and were poorly prepared for a life outside of football due to injuries sustained and/or their shitty Alabama educations.

Hale county in Alabama:

Nah, that wouldn't/couldn't have anything to do with it.

ahoy JWBooth,

i think the poverty thats cited in the Wiki link would explain alot 'o it, matey.

- MeadHallPirate

I'd be interested to know what portion of the 1 in 4 consist of former Alabama football players who didn't make it to the NFL and were poorly prepared for a life outside of football due to injuries sustained and/or their shitty Alabama educations.

ahoy OoPooPahDoo,

i don't think thats quite fair to Alabama, matey.

they already make a very powerful investment in terms 'o college football - thar head coach Mr. Saban gets paid 'round 5.5 million dollars per year.

i suppose the citizens 'o Alabama could increase the monies they spend on thar football program, but wouldn't them resources be better spent elsewhar?

- MeadHallPirate

ahoy all,

- MeadHallPirate

Image Detail for - US Welfare map ? - Survivalist Forum

Image Detail for - the number of welfare recipients by the end of 2008

ahoy OoPooPahDoo,

i don't think thats quite fair to Alabama, matey.

they already make a very powerful investment in terms 'o college football - thar head coach Mr. Saban gets paid 'round 5.5 million dollars per year.

i suppose the citizens 'o Alabama could increase the monies they spend on thar football program, but wouldn't them resources be better spent elsewhar?

- MeadHallPirate

No, they couldn't be spent elsewhere. In Alabama they only have football. There's nothing else to spend money and resources on.

Rocket City

Rocket City

Huntsville for those that don't know

Rocket City, USA

It's where we developed and built most of our rockets

No, they couldn't be spent elsewhere. In Alabama they only have football. There's nothing else to spend money and resources on.

ahoy OoHPooPahDoo,

i'd first heard 'o this story on a radio show, "This American Life".

if i recall correctly, one 'o the residents 'o Hale County said that a huge number 'o thar folks be on disability because they "just do things harder in Hale County".

like, they work harder and play harder and just plain 'ol live harder. thar be alot 'o hardness goin' on in Hale County. as a result 'o this hardness, they end up livin' off taxes culled from NJ, Massachusetts, New York, etc, etc.

perhaps Alabama should have more football teams? if that be the state's best economic engine, i guess that be an option...

*frowns*

- MeadHallPirate

Forum List

Back