be life different in Alabama?

Hale county in Alabama:

The racial makeup of the county was 39.83% White, 58.95% Black or African American

The median income for a household in the county was $25,807, and the median income for a family was $31,875. Males had a median income of $28,493 versus $19,363 for females. The per capita income for the county was $12,661. About 22.20% of families and 26.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.00% of those under age 18 and 26.70% of those age 65 or over.

Hale County, Alabama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Almost 60% black, hmmm...I wonder if that's what you would call a Republican county?

There is only one thing in Alabama. Football.

Rocket City

Huntsville for those that don't know

Rocket City, USA

It's where we developed and built most of our rockets

ahoy Two Thumbs,

but wouldn't that be an example 'o "bad industry", since its primarily driven from Federal spendin'?

Alabama be a very, very conservative state, matey. they probably would wish to rid themselves 'o trappings that come tethered to "Rocket City", nay?

- MeadHallPirate

ahoy all,

In the past three decades, the number of Americans who get a monthly disability check from the federal government has skyrocketed. It's now up to 14 million people. That's due in part to our aging workforce. But in many pockets of the country, there's much more to the story. Factories and mills have closed and the U.S. economy has left behind millions of workers who now find themselves unfit or unqualified for the jobs that remain.

For many, going on disability is the answer. In some counties, nearly one in four working-age adults are not working because they are disabled, one in four.

In this part of the program, we're going to take you to one of the those places, Hale County, Alabama.

1 in 4 folks live completely on the funds 'o US taxpayers (them evil blue states, yarrrrRR!!!).

in a conversation that took place amongst a group 'o laddys who'd been put outta work by a mill closin' down in Alabama, this was the exchange;

BIRDSALL: It was an older guy there that worked for Work Source. And he just looked at me and he goes, Scott, he goes, I'm going to be honest with you. There's nobody going to hire you.

If there's no place for you around here where you're going to get a job, just draw your unemployment and just suck all the benefits you can out of the system until everything's gone and then you're on your own.

'tis a short piece to read, but apparently if ye live in Hale County, Alabama, thar be somethin' in the water or the food or what have ye, thats very bad fer backs;

JOFFE-WALT: There is no diagnosis called disability. You don't go to the doctor and the doctor says, well, we've run the tests and it looks like you have disability. It is, by definition, squishy. And in Hale County, one of the most common diagnoses is one of the squishiest - back pain.
In One Alabama County, Nearly 1 In 4 Working-Age Adults Is On Disability : NPR

does this forum have folks from the land 'o Alabama? i was wonderin' why this Southern, conservative, "personal responsibility" state hosts such a large armada 'o injured americans?

- MeadHallPirate

Being 350+ lbs on a diet of fried food probably counts as a disability for them.

Almost 60% black, hmmm...I wonder if that's what you would call a Republican county?

ahoy Meathead,

well met, matey. the voters 'o Hale County picked Mr. Obama to thar POTUS.

the thing is, though, only a doctor put someone up fer disability. ye can't just wake up with the idear and do it on yer own.

i figure most 'o the MDs be white in Hale County, aye?

- MeadHallPirate

JOFFE-WALT: There is no diagnosis called disability. You don't go to the doctor and the doctor says, well, we've run the tests and it looks like you have disability. It is, by definition, squishy. And in Hale County, one of the most common diagnoses is one of the squishiest - back pain.
does this forum have folks from the land 'o Alabama? i was wonderin' why this Southern, conservative, "personal responsibility" state hosts such a large armada 'o injured americans?

Well, I spent about 36 years in Mississippi and had a favorite aunt in a rural part of Alabama, so I guess I'm qualified.

Frankly I'm surprised the rate isn't higher. Begin with the fact of an aging population. When a lot of your younger (especially college-educated) workers move out-of-state, the median of the workforce in a county can easily get to 55 or older. And most disabled workers become unable to work in their 50's.

Then there's the type of work. Agriculture is not only literally back-breaking, it is incredibly dangerous. The kind of factory labor in the South is also typically lower-paid, more dangerous, and more prone to "use people up" than industries in the country as a whole. Add to that weaker worker safety laws and enforcement and lack of access to health care and you have a problem. Bad diet and obesity often lead to heart disease and diabetes which is far more prevalent in the South than the national average.

Mississippi resembles a Third World nation in many respects and Louisiana, Alabama, and Arkansas join it in workforce problems. Ironically these red states are showing the rest of the country what awaits them when big business Republicans get rid of unions, workplace regulation, and can let unfettered capitalism drive up earnings.

Well, I spent about 36 years in Mississippi and had a favorite aunt in a rural part of Alabama, so I guess I'm qualified.

Frankly I'm surprised the rate isn't higher. Begin with the fact of an aging population. When a lot of your younger (especially college-educated) workers move out-of-state, the median of the workforce in a county can easily get to 55 or older. And most disabled workers become unable to work in their 50's.

Then there's the type of work. Agriculture is not only literally back-breaking, it is incredibly dangerous. The kind of factory labor in the South is also typically lower-paid, more dangerous, and more prone to "use people up" than industries in the country as a whole. Add to that weaker worker safety laws and enforcement and lack of access to health care and you have a problem. Bad diet and obesity often lead to heart disease and diabetes which is far more prevalent in the South than the national average.

Mississippi resembles a Third World nation in many respects and Louisiana, Alabama, and Arkansas join it in workforce problems. Ironically these red states are showing the rest of the country what awaits them when big business Republicans get rid of unions, workplace regulation, and can let unfettered capitalism drive up earnings.

ahoy OldFart and well met,

*bows*

thank ye fer yer insight, matey.

if what ye state be true - that Alabama has weak workplace safety laws, and that local economic policy be causin' youthful folk to leave the area and unions (which at least in theory would boost both worker safety, worker pension plans and worker salaries), why do states like Alabama hew to conservative dogma?

is the belief amongst Alabamians that they get too much monies from the Federal Government and if they staunch this flow 'o taxpayer largesse, they'll be on better footin'?

- MeadhallPirate

Being 350+ lbs on a diet of fried food probably counts as a disability for them.

ahoy Bodecea,

thats an interestin' point, matey.

Mississippi is the fattest state for 6th straight year, Colorado still leanest, Rhode Island getting fatter, Alaska slimmer.

For 2011 Mississippi has claimed the title of fattest state for the sixth consecutive year, while Colorado continues its streak as the leanest. Florida rose the most places in the rankings over last year, while Oregon dropped the most, according to a new analysis by CalorieLab, Inc.

Alabama remained in second place, while Tennessee dropped from last year’s tie with Alabama down to fourth place.
Mississippi is the fattest state for 6th straight year, Colorado still leanest, Rhode Island getting fatter, Alaska slimmer

do ye think 'tis fair to say that folks in Alabama willfully test our nation's Federal healthcare safety nets by purposefully and heedlessly sailin' deep into the perilous seas 'o heart disease and diabetes?

why be Alabama such a peculiar land, matey?

- MeadHallPirate

the Southern economy still hasn't completely recovered fromt he stupendous loss of capitalization it suffered when slaves became free.

Seriously...the southern economy lost 75% of it capitalization when they lost their right to own slaves.

that loss of that magnitude is still resonating 150+ years later to make southern economy less vibrant.

[MENTION=11278]editec[/MENTION] LINK?

I'll take your failure to support your claim as proof that you lied.

Rocket City

Rocket City, USA

ahoy Two Thumbs,

but wouldn't that be an example 'o "bad industry", since its primarily driven from Federal spendin'?

Alabama be a very, very conservative state, matey. they probably would wish to rid themselves 'o trappings that come tethered to "Rocket City", nay?

- MeadHallPirate

DoD spending

The main buyer is the government as well as other governments and other private industries.

aside from that, you are using a factless base for trolling.

Rocket City, USA

ahoy Two Thumbs,

- MeadHallPirate

DoD spending

The main buyer is the government as well as other governments and other private industries.

ahoy Two Thumbs,

actually, me facts be solid, me hearty.

i've checked'm.

in Hale County, Alabama, one outta four residents represent whats been called on other threads, "the lazy poor".

'tis also true that Rocket City hath the wind in its sails provided more or less by deficit spendin' by the Federal Government (this also be an accurate fact and isn't in dispute), somethin' i'd imagine the denizens 'o Alabama take a dim view of.

to return to the OP, why is it that Hale County has an armada 'o folks livin' on disability?

is life harder in Alabama? one poster mentioned this to be the case, and perhaps its true. i don't know alot 'bout Alabama.

*bows*

- MeadHallPirate

ahoy Two Thumbs,

- MeadHallPirate

DoD spending

ahoy Two Thumbs,

actually, me facts be solid, me hearty.

i've checked'm.

in Hale County, Alabama, one outta four residents represent whats been called on other threads, "the lazy poor".

'tis also true that Rocket City hath the wind in its sails provided more or less by deficit spendin' by the Federal Government (this also be an accurate fact and isn't in dispute), somethin' i'd imagine the denizens 'o Alabama take a dim view of.

to return to the OP, why is it that Hale County has an armada 'o folks livin' on disability?

is life harder in Alabama? one poster mentioned this to be the case, and perhaps its true. i don't know alot 'bout Alabama.

*bows*

- MeadHallPirate

check the links in post 16, top of page 2

You will see it's more of an anomaly than a habit of AL.

And that the worst of it is in CA, OR, AK in MI

Since the west coast is run, nay, dominated by dems, why is welfare so bad, consistently bad in those states?

The only one that doesn't belong is AK

Last edited:
check the links in post 16, top of page 2

You will see it's more of an anomaly than a habit of AL.

And that the worst of it is in CA, OR, AK in MI

Since the west coast is run, nay, dominated by dems, why is welfare so bad, consistently bad in those states?

The only one that doesn't belong is AK

ahoy Two Thumbs,

thanks fer them two graphics, matey. it seems to confirm that unemployment in California be a terrible problem...and that jobs be hard to come by in Alabama and South Carolina also.

still, that doesn't answer why so many folks in Hale County live on disability payments.

see me hearty, bein' unemployed doesn't automatically mean that ye get to be on disability - a medical condition. one does not necessarily follow the other, though it does seem to be the case in Alabama.

aye?

so i was curious whether life was particularly dangerous in Hale County, Alabama or if perhaps it was just a really, really compassionate part 'o our great country.

*salutes*

- MeadHallPirate

Last edited:
Hale county in Alabama:

The racial makeup of the county was 39.83% White, 58.95% Black or African American

The median income for a household in the county was $25,807, and the median income for a family was $31,875. Males had a median income of $28,493 versus $19,363 for females. The per capita income for the county was $12,661. About 22.20% of families and 26.90% of the population were below the poverty line, including 34.00% of those under age 18 and 26.70% of those age 65 or over.

ahoy Sunni Man,

aye, i was aware 'o the demographic breakdown 'o Hale County.

i also was aware that the county, like the rest 'o the state, be sorta impoverished. i'd also guess that the cost 'o livin' in Hale County probably isn't too challengin'. i mean, 'tis not midtown Manhattan....or even Charlotte, North Carolina.

what does that have to do with the large amount 'o americans thar who seem to draw thar income entirely from taxpayers? Alabama, a solid conservative state, also be a tax welfare state.

why be thar so many on disability thar? be Hale County a hostile environment fer homo sapien life forms, me bucko?

- MeadHallPirate
Ahoy, MeadHallPirate!
Why is there more violent crime in inner-city areas? Why is a certain segment of our population 6 times as likely to commit murder? Why is a certain segment 6 times as likely to be on welfare?

Hale county in Alabama:

2012 Presidential election results:
Hale 100.0% Reporting
B. Obama (i) Dem 62.6% 5,401
M. Romney GOP 37.1% 3,205
G. Johnson Ind 0.2% 13
J. Stein Ind 0.1% 6
V. Goode Ind 0.0% 3

ahoy Meathead,

well met, matey. the voters 'o Hale County picked Mr. Obama to thar POTUS.

the thing is, though, only a doctor put someone up fer disability. ye can't just wake up with the idear and do it on yer own.

i figure most 'o the MDs be white in Hale County, aye?

- MeadHallPirate

I'd bet that there is a higher percentage of black MD's in Hale than in, say, Baldwin County.

Ahoy, MeadHallPirate!
Why is there more violent crime in inner-city areas? Why is a certain segment of our population 6 times as likely to commit murder? Why is a certain segment 6 times as likely to be on welfare?

ahoy Ernie S,

'nother former swabby from the decks 'o USPO, good to see ye matey.

regardin' yer post, imma not sure 'o the answer.

Asian americans hath the lowest rate 'o divorce, the lowest rate 'o incarceration, and be the most upwardly mobile ethnic subset (financially) 'o our bountiful and Christian land.

perhaps then, thar aren't enough Asian americans livin' in them areas like Hale County, Alabama?

*frowns*

'tis hard to say, me friend.

- MeadHallPirate

Explain why the unemployment rate in Alabama is 7.2% while the national average is 7.6% and California is 9.4%.
Airbus is spending billions to locate it's US manufacturing facility in Mobile, Hyundai has a $1.7 billion plant in Montgomery. Our dry-dock and ship building facilities are buzzing, but you'd rather push stereotypes.

Ahoy, MeadHallPirate!

ahoy Ernie S,

'nother former swabby from the decks 'o USPO, good to see ye matey.

regardin' yer post, imma not sure 'o the answer.

Asian americans hath the lowest rate 'o divorce, the lowest rate 'o incarceration, and be the most upwardly mobile ethnic subset (financially) 'o our bountiful and Christian land.

perhaps then, thar aren't enough Asian americans livin' in them areas like Hale County, Alabama?

*frowns*

'tis hard to say, me friend.

- MeadHallPirate

Perhaps...
Maybe if we could get people to emulate Asian-Americans, but, as it stands, cultural differences account for most of the income and criminal disparity between the races.

if what ye state be true - that Alabama has weak workplace safety laws, and that local economic policy be causin' youthful folk to leave the area and unions (which at least in theory would boost both worker safety, worker pension plans and worker salaries), why do states like Alabama hew to conservative dogma?

is the belief amongst Alabamians that they get too much monies from the Federal Government and if they staunch this flow 'o taxpayer largesse, they'll be on better footin'?

- MeadhallPirate

My first job in Mississippi back in the early 70's was teaching labor economics. Alabama has always been a bit more industrial than Mississippi, which with South Carolina has always been an anomaly, even for the Deep South. Mississippi and Alabama have been the only two states where you can rent living space without any implied warranty of habitability. That should be sufficiently landlord-friendly for even Rand Paul.

As in much of the south, you get three types of world view. The first is 98% of black Americans and both of the white liberals. They want all the largesse the federal government can be coaxed into providing, any way it can be provided (individual welfare, small business minority set-asides, big government contracts). The second group composed of unreconstructed redneck racists (90% of the white population) and both black Republicans, take all the welfare and contracts they think they deserve and complain about all the welfare and contracts the useless blacks (as opposed to hard-working God-fearing rednecks) get. The remaining 10% of the white population is the business community, political hierarchy, and power elite. They really don't like welfare for anybody but are too polite to say much about it. But they absolutely LOVE big government contracts, especially from the Army Corps of Engineers, and military bases. They firmly believe that national defense requires that procurement contracts in their state must continue for eternity, or we will be inundated by yellow and brown hordes. Anyone not fitting the above three classes must be a Yankee or a furriner, which are the same thing.

Jamie

Forum List

Back