Bayonet thread: anything and everything about bayonets

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
Since the word "bayonet" was used in the debate last night.

The word has been buzzing around the media all day.

So I ask for any stories or thoughts about bayonets from collectors, campers, current military, or ex military personel.

In the U.S. when you mention the most famous military bayonet. It has to be the USMC bayonet of WWll fame called the KA-BAR

KA-BAR-USMC-Fighting-Knife.jpg

This is what I carried in the bush while in the Army 70-71

Puma model called the White Hunter made in Germany with the highest quality steel.

A super tough knife that can be made razor sharp.

I used it more for clearing heavy brush and foliage than as a stabbing weapon.

But it could easily cut a person in half with just one stroke.

A blade heavy knife; many African safari guides and hunters carry it.

9807506_1.jpg

A soldier who led a bayonet charge across 260ft of open ground through Taliban gunfire one year ago has been given the Military Cross.

Corporal Sean Jones, 25, of 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Regiment, "reversed a potentially dire situation" when his patrol came under attack in a carefully planned ambush in October last year.

The soldier, of Tern Hill near Market Drayton in Shropshire, was second-in-command of the patrol which was trying to draw out insurgents laying homemade bombs in Kakaran village, Helmand.

As the patrol moved through an open field it came under heavy and accurate small-arms fire from the north and east.

The father of two said: "We were about to wrap up the operation and head back to the checkpoint. We were crossing a ditch when the shooting started. I was just coming out of the ditch and most of the fire was coming at me. I hit the deck immediately.

"I have been shot at quite a few times and could tell the enemy was close. Gravel and dirt were flying up all around me from the bullets."

Caught in the killing zone and unable to advance into the hail of fire, the soldiers withdrew to the relative safety of the water-filled ditch to return fire but were trapped as the insurgents moved in to try to overwhelm their position.

"We had to react quickly," said Cpl Jones.

"There was something different about this. It was obviously a well-planned ambush and they overwhelmed us with fire from three points initially."

Firing a rocket at one of the insurgent positions, Cpl Jones ordered three of his men to fix bayonets before breaking cover and leading them across 80 metres of open ground raked by enemy fire.

"I asked them if they were happy. They were all quite young lads and the adrenalin was racing. I shouted follow me and we went for it. I got 'Commander's Legs' on and was going very quickly. I realised I'd left them behind a bit so had to slow down and was engaged again, so I organised my guys who started attacking the enemy firing points," he said.

As two of the soldiers provided fire support, Cpl Jones prepared a hand grenade for the final assault. He raced towards an alley and was about to throw the grenade but said he realised that the buildings were occupied so put the grenade away. But the speed, aggression and audacity of his response caused the insurgents to fall back in disarray.

Sporadic enemy fire continued.

Cpl Jones rallied his men to launch another assault just as the platoon commander and the rest of the patrol, who had been suppressing the other enemy position during the charge, rejoined the group.

The insurgents melted away.

The soldier's citation states that Cpl Jones demonstrated "unflinching courage and extraordinary leadership in the face of extreme and tangible danger".

He "epitomised the best qualities of the British infantry: gritty determination, controlled aggression, tactical cunning and complete disregard for his own safety".

Soldier who led Afghanistan bayonet charge into hail of bullets honoured - Telegraph

Last edited:
The standard issue M 7 when I was in.

16inchwithbayo.jpg

Call me old fashioned but I always preferred to carry this. I still have one today. I have seen a few bastards spitting teeth.

M1918_Trench_Knife.jpg

I also own the WW 1 three cornered version. It's never been used in violence but it has always been a favorite to own.

658px-Model1917_knuckle_duster.jpg

Last edited:
Since the word "bayonet" was used in the debate last night.

The word has been buzzing around the media all day.

So I ask for any stories or thoughts about bayonets from collectors, campers, current military, or ex military personel.

In the U.S. when you mention the most famous military bayonet. It has to be the USMC bayonet of WWll fame called the KA-BAR

KA-BAR-USMC-Fighting-Knife.jpg

The K-Bar wasn't a bayonet. Notice there's no way to lock it onto a rifle.

We never carried bayonets when I was in Vietnam in 70-71. Had it gotten that close, I had a machete and my FLS for that. (FLS...Fuckin' Little Shovel)

You are correct.

But today any large military knife is generally referred to as a bayonet. :cool:

By whom? No one in the military. Bayonet can only refer to a knife/sword that can be fixed to a rifle/musket. Anything else is just a knife.

And in 24 years Army, I've never been issued a bayonet. But then again in 14 of those years (as a non-deployed reservist) I was never issued any weapon.

Check again sunnie man. The Ka-Bar was not a bayonet. There was no way to attach it to a rifle. It was a utility knife.

This is one of the combat knives in my collection.

Cold Steel Recon with the American version of the Tanto style blade.

Mine is 20+ years old and made in the USA with Carbon V blade steel. (V stands for vanadium) with the Concealex sheath.

A super tough knife that holds it's razor sharp edge even after being abused.

Now they are made in Japan or worse yet in China. :mad:

770.jpg

The Ka Bar IS NOT A BAYONET!

A Ka Bar Knife is a personal weapon designed to be held in the hand.

I hope that's not too difficult to understand.

You are correct.

But today any large military knife is generally referred to as a bayonet. :cool:

Not in ANY military regulation I know of.

Milbogs are filled with comments about how wrong this statement was.

Check out Bayonet Company 'Offended' by Obama's 'Ignorant' Statement as well as many, many more about Army and Marine units learning to use bayonets - ON THE END OF THEIR WEAPON!!!

The Marines now use the OKC-3S bayonet which replaced the standard M7 for use with the M16 rifle.

"The OKC-3S is manufactured solely by the Ontario Knife Company and identical civilian versions are available for purchase. It bears a resemblance to the Marines' iconic Ka-Bar fighting knife, though it does not have a fuller. It is larger, thicker and heavier than the M7 and M9. A sharper point helps penetrate body armor that many modern adversaries wear; while serrations near the handle help improve its function as a utility knife."

OKC-3S bayonet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bayonet_OKC-3S_-_Ontario_Knife_Company.jpg

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
^^^^^^^^ That is a Fairbairn-Sykes

"The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife is a double-edged fighting knife resembling a dagger or poignard with a foil grip developed by William Ewart Fairbairn and Eric Anthony Sykes in Shanghai based on concepts which the two men initiated before World War II while serving on the Shanghai Municipal Police in China.

The F-S fighting knife was made famous during World War II when issued to British Commandos, including the SAS. With its acutely tapered, sharply-pointed blade, the F-S Fighting knife is frequently described as a stiletto, a weapon optimized for thrusting, although the F-S knife is capable of being used to inflict slash cuts upon an opponent when its cutting edges are sharpened according to specification.The Wilkinson Sword Company made the knife with minor pommel and grip design variations.

The F-S knife is strongly associated with the British commandos and the US Office of Strategic Services (OSS) and Marine Raiders (who based their issued knife on the Fairbairn-Sykes), among other special forces / clandestine / raiding units."

Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forum List

Back