Bayonet thread: anything and everything about bayonets

Discussion in 'Military' started by Sunni Man, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Since the word "bayonet" was used in the debate last night.

The word has been buzzing around the media all day.

So I ask for any stories or thoughts about bayonets from collectors, campers, current military, or ex military personel.

In the U.S. when you mention the most famous military bayonet. It has to be the USMC bayonet of WWll fame called the KA-BAR

[​IMG]

2. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    This is what I carried in the bush while in the Army 70-71

Puma model called the White Hunter made in Germany with the highest quality steel.

A super tough knife that can be made razor sharp.

I used it more for clearing heavy brush and foliage than as a stabbing weapon.

But it could easily cut a person in half with just one stroke.

A blade heavy knife; many African safari guides and hunters carry it.

[​IMG]

3. Swagger

Swagger Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,512
    The British Army is the last remaining fighting force that drills recruits on the traditional bayonet charge.

4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    A soldier who led a bayonet charge across 260ft of open ground through Taliban gunfire one year ago has been given the Military Cross.

Corporal Sean Jones, 25, of 1st Battalion The Princess of Wales's Regiment, "reversed a potentially dire situation" when his patrol came under attack in a carefully planned ambush in October last year.

The soldier, of Tern Hill near Market Drayton in Shropshire, was second-in-command of the patrol which was trying to draw out insurgents laying homemade bombs in Kakaran village, Helmand.

As the patrol moved through an open field it came under heavy and accurate small-arms fire from the north and east.

The father of two said: "We were about to wrap up the operation and head back to the checkpoint. We were crossing a ditch when the shooting started. I was just coming out of the ditch and most of the fire was coming at me. I hit the deck immediately.

"I have been shot at quite a few times and could tell the enemy was close. Gravel and dirt were flying up all around me from the bullets."

Caught in the killing zone and unable to advance into the hail of fire, the soldiers withdrew to the relative safety of the water-filled ditch to return fire but were trapped as the insurgents moved in to try to overwhelm their position.

"We had to react quickly," said Cpl Jones.

"There was something different about this. It was obviously a well-planned ambush and they overwhelmed us with fire from three points initially."

Firing a rocket at one of the insurgent positions, Cpl Jones ordered three of his men to fix bayonets before breaking cover and leading them across 80 metres of open ground raked by enemy fire.

"I asked them if they were happy. They were all quite young lads and the adrenalin was racing. I shouted follow me and we went for it. I got 'Commander's Legs' on and was going very quickly. I realised I'd left them behind a bit so had to slow down and was engaged again, so I organised my guys who started attacking the enemy firing points," he said.

As two of the soldiers provided fire support, Cpl Jones prepared a hand grenade for the final assault. He raced towards an alley and was about to throw the grenade but said he realised that the buildings were occupied so put the grenade away. But the speed, aggression and audacity of his response caused the insurgents to fall back in disarray.

Sporadic enemy fire continued.

Cpl Jones rallied his men to launch another assault just as the platoon commander and the rest of the patrol, who had been suppressing the other enemy position during the charge, rejoined the group.

The insurgents melted away.

The soldier's citation states that Cpl Jones demonstrated "unflinching courage and extraordinary leadership in the face of extreme and tangible danger".

He "epitomised the best qualities of the British infantry: gritty determination, controlled aggression, tactical cunning and complete disregard for his own safety".

Soldier who led Afghanistan bayonet charge into hail of bullets honoured - Telegraph

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot NRA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +467
    The standard issue M 7 when I was in.

[​IMG]

Call me old fashioned but I always preferred to carry this. I still have one today. I have seen a few bastards spitting teeth.

[​IMG]

I also own the WW 1 three cornered version. It's never been used in violence but it has always been a favorite to own.

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  6. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Yea, the WWl Trench Knife is the grandaddy of the American soldiers bayonet. :cool: :thup:

7. Oldguy

Oldguy Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +592

The K-Bar wasn't a bayonet. Notice there's no way to lock it onto a rifle.

We never carried bayonets when I was in Vietnam in 70-71. Had it gotten that close, I had a machete and my FLS for that. (FLS...Fuckin' Little Shovel)

8. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    You are correct.

But today any large military knife is generally referred to as a bayonet. :cool:

9. pinqy

pinqy Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,010
    By whom? No one in the military. Bayonet can only refer to a knife/sword that can be fixed to a rifle/musket. Anything else is just a knife.

And in 24 years Army, I've never been issued a bayonet. But then again in 14 of those years (as a non-deployed reservist) I was never issued any weapon.

10. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    I was talking about the general public and not military personal. :cool: