Barbie Oscar Snub

Blaster

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2022
This is no surprise to me. This movie was very overrated in my opinion.

The awards are anti-Barbie....movie about how smart and independent women are, superior to drooling idiot men, and the award nominations go to the subservient men.

It is a gimmick movie, I couldn’t get through it

I would say Oscar material for script and maybe direction because it was unique
But not great acting
Deserves mention for Best Picture but far from the best

'Tis said the true honor is the nomination ... the Oscar itself is strictly political ...

Lord of the Rings received 17 Oscars yet nowhere in any of the movies did two women talk to one another ... you might be surprised at how many Hollywood movies there are with only one woman ...

I blame Tolkien ... one kindred didn't even have women ... dwarfs mate with rocks ... sick sick sick ...

'Tis said the true honor is the nomination ... the Oscar itself is strictly political ...

Lord of the Rings received 17 Oscars yet nowhere in any of the movies did two women talk to one another ... you might be surprised at how many Hollywood movies there are with only one woman ...

I blame Tolkien ... one kindred didn't even have women ... dwarfs mate with rocks ... sick sick sick ...
If you ever get a chance to visit Hobbiton in New Zealand, it's a hoot. You'll feel very tall. :)

People liked it, I didn’t

They managed to turn a stupid concept into a hit.
More power to them
I must be honest I didn't see it and I go to the movies at least once a month.... but I have heard from someone who liked it and someone who hated it and the person who hated it said do not waste my money on it... the person who liked it said they wouldn't see it again...

I must be honest I didn't see it and I go to the movies at least once a month.... but I have heard from someone who liked it and someone who hated it and the person who hated it said do not waste my money on it... the person who liked it said they wouldn't see it again...
The visuals were interesting but they were the only redeeming quality.
The plot was silly and it attempted to make all men look like jerks.
Only a very young child or a lesbian would find it entertaining.

Dwarf-women[note 1] were few among the Dwarves, kept in secret, and were seldom seen by other races.

Role in society​

Dwarves wanted their women to be protected from other races and they usually kept them concealed inside their mountain halls. They seldom traveled in the outside world, only in great need, and when they did, they were dressed as men; with similar voice and appearance as male dwarves, even when they are rarely seen they are usually mistaken for a male.[1]

Family and fertility​

Women joined their husbands' families. Women were seldom named in genealogies but if a son is seen to be 110 years younger than his father, this usually indicates an elder daughter. Thorin's sister Dís was named simply because of the gallant death of her sons Fíli and Kíli.[2]

Gimli stated that only approximately one-third of their population consisted of women, which was the reason for the slow increase in population of the race. Moreover, while Dwarf-men outnumbered Dwarf-women two to one, less than half of Dwarf-men actually married: many preferred to spend their time with their crafts instead. Meanwhile, many Dwarf-women never took a husband either: some desire none, or desired one who could not or would not marry them, in which case they would have no other.[1]

Misconceptions among other races​

Because of the scarcity of Dwarf-women, their secrecy and similarity in appearance to males, and their lack of mention, many Men failed to recognize their existence. They believed that the Dwarves' population was only of men, and a legend said therefore that they were 'born' by growing out of stone.[1]

Other versions of the legendarium​

In The War of the Jewels, all Dwarves are described as having beards, including women.[3] In later writings published in The Nature of Middle-earth, Tolkien did not discuss female Dwarves when listing the characters he imagined with or without beards, simply mentioning that all male Dwarves had beards.[4]

It may indeed be that there were some dark arts of Sauron which made it difficult for Dwarves and even the people of Gondor to breed. The Hobbits seemed unaffected, the randy little buggers!!!

Greg

I believe it is a sad state of the movie industry that it was seriously considered in the first place. Excellence in the entertainment industry is D-E-D, dead.

I believe it is a sad state of the movie industry that it was seriously considered in the first place. Excellence in the entertainment industry is D-E-D, dead.
My son in law was a sound engineer for Dolby... he told me a long time ago that the movie industry was drying up.... he now works for John Deere... until the black listing stops Hollywood will continue to put garbage out...

Margot Robbie is a producer of the film, and it is up for best picture. If it wins that she gets a statue.

None of the Oscars had anything to do with women. Best director, sound, hairstyle, costumes and so on had absolutely nothing to do with women talking.

A good movie is a good movie. Star wars, raiders of the lost ark, Conan, seven, jaws, terminator are all movies that been beloved for decades allover the world by a billion men and women young and old. No one ever anywhere cared they had very few women because they were great movies.

Forum List

Back