Barbeque season

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
I have been barbequing alot this summer, usually just chicken so far and pork chops, along with the usual hamburgers and hot dogs. I want to try to do different things on the grill this summer, I usually marinade the meat in Dales sauce.

dales.jpg

You can use this sauce on pretty much anything, so its usually what I use to marinate the meat the night before, anyone care to share anty barbeque secrets?

i am strickly a dry rub girl on ribs...now rib eyes i like to soak on beer and spices for a while...

try this...you will love it....

okra..now remember you dont want big ones...no bigger than your little finger....

pour soy sauce and olive oil in large gal baggie.....toss in okra.....let stand for about an hour..then grill ...now i put it in foil and roast it on the grill then take it out and roll it about on the grill to finish it....

i am strickly a dry rub girl on ribs...now rib eyes i like to soak on beer and spices for a while...

try this...you will love it....

okra..now remember you dont want big ones...no bigger than your little finger....

pour soy sauce and olive oil in large gal baggie.....toss in okra.....let stand for about an hour..then grill ...now i put it in foil and roast it on the grill then take it out and roll it about on the grill to finish it....

I love okra my grandmother used to make it with chicken in this kind of curry sauce, girlfriend hates it though but I will probably try this, sounds delicious bones. :thup:

I marinade, dry rub, and then sauce it on the grill.

Layer the flavor, baby.

Low and slow is the only way to go.

Layer the flavor, baby.

What kind of marinades and dry rubs do you use?

I keep marinades real simple. I don't have a recipe per say but the basic formula is 3 parts oil, 1 part acid and then whatever herbs or spices you want to use to compliment the meat.

I found a great book on cooking that is nothing but a list of what goes best with what as far as herbs, spices etc

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Flavor-Bible-Essential-Creativity-Imaginative/dp/0316118400]Amazon.com: The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs (9780316118408): Karen Page, Andrew Dornenburg: Books[/ame]

I usually pick a few herbs and spices out of the lists to add to a marinade.

As far as dry rubs I buy some and make some myself I tend to favor savory/ spicy over sweet

here's a good place to start

Simple Dry Rub Recipes That Work Wonders

Sauces are really fun. Most people stick to a basic tomato based BBQ sauce. They tend to be sweet for my taste.

I have a couple that I like to make

Chipotle Lime sauce

1 small can of chipotles in Adobo sauce

I use a stick blender to puree them seeds and all. You can remove the seeds if you want less heat.

The juice of 3 or 4 limes

some light oil like canola or walnut

Salt, pepper, onions, garlic, ancho, cayenne and smoked paprika and some honey or brown sugar.

I can't tell you amounts as i just wing it.

I also do a tangerine, maple, habanero that rocks

Layer the flavor, baby.

What kind of marinades and dry rubs do you use?

I keep marinades real simple. I don't have a recipe per say but the basic formula is 3 parts oil, 1 part acid and then whatever herbs or spices you want to use to compliment the meat.

I found a great book on cooking that is nothing but a list of what goes best with what as far as herbs, spices etc

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Flavor-Bible-Essential-Creativity-Imaginative/dp/0316118400]Amazon.com: The Flavor Bible: The Essential Guide to Culinary Creativity, Based on the Wisdom of America's Most Imaginative Chefs (9780316118408): Karen Page, Andrew Dornenburg: Books[/ame]

I usually pick a few herbs and spices out of the lists to add to a marinade.

As far as dry rubs I buy some and make some myself I tend to favor savory/ spicy over sweet

here's a good place to start

Simple Dry Rub Recipes That Work Wonders

Sauces are really fun. Most people stick to a basic tomato based BBQ sauce. They tend to be sweet for my taste.

I have a couple that I like to make

Chipotle Lime sauce

1 small can of chipotles in Adobo sauce

I use a stick blender to puree them seeds and all. You can remove the seeds if you want less heat.

The juice of 3 or 4 limes

some light oil like canola or walnut

Salt, pepper, onions, garlic, ancho, cayenne and smoked paprika and some honey or brown sugar.

I can't tell you amounts as i just wing it.

I also do a tangerine, maple, habanero that rocks

Sounds very tasty, thanks for sharing this.

The two best salmon dishes I've ever had were prepared on the grill...

One was a full half, covered with cracked black pepper, purple onion slices (COVERED) and thick lemon slices. Wrap in tin foil and place on the grill for however long it takes depending on the heat and the size of the filet. But it doesn't take long. Better to cook not long enough than too long...open carefully, lots of steam and juice. Serve with the juice, which is delish. You can choose to discard or keep the onions.

Salmon steaks on the grill are fast, yummy, and you don't smell up the house. Put whatever you like on them, just make sure your grill is oiled or the fish is...

One was a full half, covered with cracked black pepper, purple onion slices (COVERED) and thick lemon slices. Wrap in tin foil and place on the grill for however long it takes depending on the heat and the size of the filet. But it doesn't take long. Better to cook not long enough than too long...open carefully, lots of steam and juice. Serve with the juice, which is delish. You can choose to discard or keep the onions.

Salmon steaks on the grill are fast, yummy, and you don't smell up the house. Put whatever you like on them, just make sure your grill is oiled or the fish is...

That sounds absolutely delicious Allie, I was just thinking about trying to barbeque some type of fish too.

That sounds absolutely delicious Allie, I was just thinking about trying to barbeque some type of fish too.

You can barbecue them on a cedarwood plank, too, or as an alternative, add chips to the barbecue like suggested above....

Real Japanese soy sauce and Sake.

Great for bbqs.

I agree, I used to use authentic Korean soy sauce for barbequing when I was in California but its really hard to find that out here where I live now. What do you use the Sake for? I can get Sake at the liquor stores here I usually drink it though lol.

In the Bay Area I got some of the best soy sauces I ever had from Korea town in Oakland, god I miss those.

Have you tried amazon?

No I didn't even think about that, you can order soy sauce on amazon? I only used amazon a few times to order some CD's.

You can order EVERYTHING on amazon :)

Just look up soy sauce.

I like this one.... thicker and a bit sweet
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/ABC-Kecap-Manis-Sweet-Sauce/dp/B000EINWCQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308162902&sr=8-2[/ame]

Last edited:
Have you tried amazon?

No I didn't even think about that, you can order soy sauce on amazon? I only used amazon a few times to order some CD's.

You can order EVERYTHING on amazon :)

Just look up soy sauce.

I like this one.... thicker and a bit sweet
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/ABC-Kecap-Manis-Sweet-Sauce/dp/B000EINWCQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1308162902&sr=8-2]ABC Kecap Manis Sweet Soy Sauce - 21 oz bottle x 2: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food[/ame]

Hell yeah thanks alot! :thup:

Forum List

Back