Baptist denies Global Warming

Nuc

Jul 10, 2005
Sydney, Australia
Richard Land from Southern Baptist Conference is on CNN talking about global warming. Saying it doesn't exist.

My question is, what is the Christian advantage gained by denying the science? In what way does this serve to advance Christianity or the Baptist faith?

Nuc said:
Richard Land from Southern Baptist Conference is on CNN talking about global warming. Saying it doesn't exist.

My question is, what is the Christian advantage gained by denying the science? In what way does this serve to advance Christianity or the Baptist faith?
I personally think global warming is an unproven thing. I haven't really investigated both sides enough to come up with my own opinion.

I think the whole global warming issue offends a Christian's/Baptist's idea of trust in the Lord. Many global warming proponents are doomsday prognostics... There will be huge tidal waves, famine, etc. The Bible says that springtime and harvest will continue as usual until the Lord comes again. Also, God promised never again to flood the entire earth. So some of the results that ardent proponents of GW forsee go against what God has promised in the Bible.

As for myself, the world might be warming. I don't know if this is a part of a cyclical weather pattern, or if it is truly even happening. But I do believe that it won't end in these huge catastrophes.

Nuc said:

It's quite common for Christianity to dissagree with Science with 'a' scientist, or even many, are telling un-truths.

The problem is "Global Warming" is a bad term. It's not always warming, sometimes it's cold weather where it should be warm. Correct term would be "Global Climatic Disturbance", which is definitely happening and is definitely contributed to by pollution.

Just seems to me that Christians would love God's creation and want to keep it as healthy as possible. So I'm wondering what his agenda is by denying it.

Nuc said:
The problem is "Global Warming" is a bad term. It's not always warming, sometimes it's cold weather where it should be warm. Correct term would be "Global Climatic Disturbance", which is definitely happening and is definitely contributed to by pollution.

Just seems to me that Christians would love God's creation and want to keep it as healthy as possible. So I'm wondering what his agenda is by denying it.

Except show me proof the Climate doesn't do 'mood swings' every thousand years or so INSPITE of humans?

We can't predict the weather 30 days from now, but suddenly we have to be worried about 30 years from now? or 300?

Nuc said:

Maybe fear? Many Christians feel oppressed by scientists, and become so sensitized that they give knee-jerk reactions. Or maybe he is reacting to the extremists in the GW corner, as I explained above.

dmp said:
Except show me proof the Climate doesn't do 'mood swings' every thousand years or so INSPITE of humans?

We can't predict the weather 30 days from now, but suddenly we have to be worried about 30 years from now? or 300?

OK, for the sake of argument, let's dismiss the scientific evidence of global warming.

Still, why is this a theological issue? Fighting global warming is achieved by reducing pollution. Why does the Baptist faith want to align itself with pollution? Is there an advantage for Christianity in having a polluted planet? There are a lot of ecological and political issues out there. Presumably the Baptist Church ignores or takes a neutral stance on most of them. Why is he going out of his way to take a stance on this issue, and then why (probably) take the wrong stance? Why not just ignore the issue?

Nuc said:
OK, for the sake of argument, let's dismiss the scientific evidence of global warming.

Still, why is this a theological issue? Fighting global warming is achieved by reducing pollution. Why does the Baptist faith want to align itself with pollution? Is there an advantage for Christianity in having a polluted planet? There are a lot of ecological and political issues out there. Presumably the Baptist Church ignores or takes a neutral stance on most of them. Why is he going out of his way to take a stance on this issue, and then why (probably) take the wrong stance? Why not just ignore the issue?

Why do you think the guy speaks for all baptists? Why do you feel his 'faith' is what kept him from believing in the phenom?

dmp said:
Why do you think the guy speaks for all baptists? Why do you feel his 'faith' is what kept him from believing in the phenom?

Well, he was acting as a spokesman for the "Southern Baptist Conference". I don't know if that's an elective position, but it's something.

Whether or not it's his faith that makes him doubt global warming I don't know, but he was not speaking as an individual.

Nuc said:
Well, he was acting as a spokesman for the "Southern Baptist Council". I don't know if that's an elective position, but it's something.

Whether or not it's his faith that makes him doubt global warming I don't know, but he was not speaking as an individual.

Maybe Baptists reject the idea based on scientific/non-spiritual reasons?

dmp said:
Maybe Baptists reject the idea based on scientific/non-spiritual reasons?

OK, I in turn doubt that they know much about science, but still, are they making public denials of other scientific theories (other than evolution)? Even if this is the case, why are they choosing to speak out on this issue? There are literally thousands of scientific theories out there. Are they going to advise us on all of them?

Nuc said:
OK, I in turn doubt that they know much about science, but still, are they making public denials of other scientific theories (other than evolution)? Even if this is the case, why are they choosing to speak out on this issue? There are literally thousands of scientific theories out there. Are they going to advise us on all of them?

You are asking people to speculate on comments they didn't make; and probably didn't even see.

(shrug).

Forum List

Back