Bald Cypress in North Carolina believed to be 2,624 years old.

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
190509125146_1_900x600.jpg

A recently documented stand of bald cypress trees in North Carolina, including one tree at least 2,624 years old, are the oldest known living trees in eastern North America and the oldest known wetland tree species in the world.

More @ Oldest known trees in eastern North America documented

Nature can be awesome. A bristlecone pine at 5,000 years in the oldest living thing on earth.

A recently documented stand of bald cypress trees in North Carolina, including one tree at least 2,624 years old, are the oldest known living trees in eastern North America and the oldest known wetland tree species in the world.

Nature can be awesome. A bristlecone pine at 5,000 years in the oldest living thing on earth.
That's awesome, Longknife! And a splendid picture. My grandfather collected cypress tree stumps back in the 50s, but they were small by comparison to that giant beauty. And boy, were they beautiful when he got done cleaning, working, and polishing them.

Love it!

There are others that are clones from several-centuries-old root systems worth mentioning, too: What Is the Oldest Tree in the World? Worldwide, there are some ancient anomalies. When I lived in Wyoming, I heard claims of there being little old scrawny-looking junipers the drill hole age system, way up in the rocky mountain otherwise arctic desert areas, and claims of several 5,000+ years old junipers, but that was just hearsay from someone who knew someone at the University of Wyoming, I guess. Most of the Equality State is mile high and remoter than you'd ever care to be if you weren't a survivalist person who adores the peace and quiet of isolation on a near-permanent basis. :D

It will be cut down as soon as they find out it was used for lynching.

That's awesome, Longknife! And a splendid picture. My grandfather collected cypress tree stumps back in the 50s, but they were small by comparison to that giant beauty. And boy, were they beautiful when he got done cleaning, working, and polishing them.

Love it!

There are others that are clones from several-centuries-old root systems worth mentioning, too: What Is the Oldest Tree in the World? Worldwide, there are some ancient anomalies. When I lived in Wyoming, I heard claims of there being little old scrawny-looking junipers the drill hole age system, way up in the rocky mountain otherwise arctic desert areas, and claims of several 5,000+ years old junipers, but that was just hearsay from someone who knew someone at the University of Wyoming, I guess. Most of the Equality State is mile high and remoter than you'd ever care to be if you weren't a survivalist person who adores the peace and quiet of isolation on a near-permanent basis. :D

I think you mean he collected cypress knees.
cypress-knees-form-above-the-roots-of-a-cypress-tree-of-the-subfamily-FXX8WA.jpg

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

Love it!

cypress-knees-form-above-the-roots-of-a-cypress-tree-of-the-subfamily-FXX8WA.jpg

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

They make really cool stuff out of them.

Love it!

That wouldn’t surprise me about the junipers. I would be inclined to believe it. Where I lived in California the oldest tree in the district was a big ass sugar pine.

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

Yeah...
Just saw some guy selling two of em made into lamps......he wanted $2,750 bucks for em!!!!

I have a couple of em my Father in law gave me.

With me it's a kinda love hate relationship with cypress knees,they're cool looking and you can catch some nice bass around em but they SUCK when they're in tall grass and you're constantly tripping over em while trying to launch a jon boat!!

Growing up in Southern California, I remember some massive Live Oaks that were several hundred years old.

Bernie Sanders disputes the date. He said that he planted the tree 15 years prior, but it was a good guess nonetheless.

Dang! No wonder it's bald.

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg
That's right, Herewegoagain. I'm not sure where he got his, they had about 3 points apiece, and he had them by every door in his house that stayed open. They were a shade of pinkish gold, as I recollect. He may have gotten them in Florida, but I don't remember exactly any more. He and grandma liked to travel, but I never knew it until our family gatherings on birthdays, Thanksgiving Christmas New Year's Day, Easter, and the 4th of July, probably more in the summertime. Thanks for sharing the picture of the pointed stumps.

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg
That's right, Herewegoagain. I'm not sure where he got his, they had about 3 points apiece, and he had them by every door in his house that stayed open. They were a shade of pinkish gold, as I recollect. He may have gotten them in Florida, but I don't remember exactly any more. He and grandma liked to travel, but I never knew it until our family gatherings on birthdays, Thanksgiving Christmas New Year's Day, Easter, and the 4th of July, probably more in the summertime. Thanks for sharing the picture of the pointed stumps.

You can get all the cypress knees you could ever want living in Walker County.

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

This must be an old person thing.

I just read that through another site! Amazing considering this is wood in water for soo long. I'll argue taxonomy until we're blue in the face but its clear Cupressaceae has some long lived trees.

Metasequoia glyptostroboides is a favorite of mine. With it I feel we are uncovering something almost lost and discovering its limitation live time.

Growing up in Southern California, I remember some massive Live Oaks that were several hundred years old.
I think the oak in my front yard is a centennial tree, but it was big when we moved here. The squirrels love it, and so does every bird of every color you ever saw in your life. I even have seen birds around here that I haven't seen in the over 20 huge identification of birds of the world, of America, and everywhere. There was one brilliant green bird one year, never saw anything like it. It was bigger than a dove, had a face that was beautifully refined, the green was iridescent, and he looked at me the same as I looked at him for over half an hour. I was stunned the whole time. he may have been 23 or 24 inches long from beak to narrow-type, nondescript tail. It was about 6 or 7 years ago. Haven't seen that beautiful creature before or since. And it's not in any of my books or any I made a special trip to the library for, either. I just don't know what I was looking at, except that it was the most stunning bird I ever recollect having seen--and intelligent, too. Oh, wait. That winter's night the snowy owl swooped down on my car was pretty stunning, between Laramie and Casper on the Highway that was in the high hills between Clark's Corner and Rock River. Never mind. Just silly stuff. That owl looked hungry though, and his wingspan was identical to the width of my car. He was the biggest bird I ever encountered up close and personal, even though I was protected by a good windshield glass. It was snowing, too, lightly.

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

Yeah...
Just saw some guy selling two of em made into lamps......he wanted $2,750 bucks for em!!!!

I have a couple of em my Father in law gave me.

With me it's a kinda love hate relationship with cypress knees,they're cool looking and you can catch some nice bass around em but they SUCK when they're in tall grass and you're constantly tripping over em while trying to launch a jon boat!!
Goodness. Never realized what it took to collect a cypress knee. Hadn't heard that term in so long I forgotaboutit. :)

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

This must be an old person thing.
Yeah, cypress knees. Hadn't thought of those things in years.

Forum List

Back