Bald Cypress in North Carolina believed to be 2,624 years old.

190509125146_1_900x600.jpg

A recently documented stand of bald cypress trees in North Carolina, including one tree at least 2,624 years old, are the oldest known living trees in eastern North America and the oldest known wetland tree species in the world.

More @ Oldest known trees in eastern North America documented

Nature can be awesome. A bristlecone pine at 5,000 years in the oldest living thing on earth.
That's awesome, Longknife! And a splendid picture. My grandfather collected cypress tree stumps back in the 50s, but they were small by comparison to that giant beauty. And boy, were they beautiful when he got done cleaning, working, and polishing them.

Love it!

There are others that are clones from several-centuries-old root systems worth mentioning, too: What Is the Oldest Tree in the World? Worldwide, there are some ancient anomalies. When I lived in Wyoming, I heard claims of there being little old scrawny-looking junipers the drill hole age system, way up in the rocky mountain otherwise arctic desert areas, and claims of several 5,000+ years old junipers, but that was just hearsay from someone who knew someone at the University of Wyoming, I guess. Most of the Equality State is mile high and remoter than you'd ever care to be if you weren't a survivalist person who adores the peace and quiet of isolation on a near-permanent basis. :D

I think you mean he collected cypress knees.
cypress-knees-form-above-the-roots-of-a-cypress-tree-of-the-subfamily-FXX8WA.jpg

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

They make really cool stuff out of them.

Yeah...
Just saw some guy selling two of em made into lamps......he wanted $2,750 bucks for em!!!!

I have a couple of em my Father in law gave me.

With me it's a kinda love hate relationship with cypress knees,they're cool looking and you can catch some nice bass around em but they SUCK when they're in tall grass and you're constantly tripping over em while trying to launch a jon boat!!

What? $2,700 bucks? Hmmm, wonder where it’s legal to cut cypress knees? My dad made a lamp out of an AK47 once. I can surly make one out of a cypress knee.

Growing up in Southern California, I remember some massive Live Oaks that were several hundred years old.

Californium oaks have supported my ass many a time to. When I worked for the forest service I would go get a permit to cut and sell them for ford wood.

A recently documented stand of bald cypress trees in North Carolina, including one tree at least 2,624 years old, are the oldest known living trees in eastern North America and the oldest known wetland tree species in the world.

Nature can be awesome. A bristlecone pine at 5,000 years in the oldest living thing on earth.
That's awesome, Longknife! And a splendid picture. My grandfather collected cypress tree stumps back in the 50s, but they were small by comparison to that giant beauty. And boy, were they beautiful when he got done cleaning, working, and polishing them.

Love it!

There are others that are clones from several-centuries-old root systems worth mentioning, too: What Is the Oldest Tree in the World? Worldwide, there are some ancient anomalies. When I lived in Wyoming, I heard claims of there being little old scrawny-looking junipers the drill hole age system, way up in the rocky mountain otherwise arctic desert areas, and claims of several 5,000+ years old junipers, but that was just hearsay from someone who knew someone at the University of Wyoming, I guess. Most of the Equality State is mile high and remoter than you'd ever care to be if you weren't a survivalist person who adores the peace and quiet of isolation on a near-permanent basis. :D

cypress-knees-form-above-the-roots-of-a-cypress-tree-of-the-subfamily-FXX8WA.jpg

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

Yeah...
Just saw some guy selling two of em made into lamps......he wanted $2,750 bucks for em!!!!

With me it's a kinda love hate relationship with cypress knees,they're cool looking and you can catch some nice bass around em but they SUCK when they're in tall grass and you're constantly tripping over em while trying to launch a jon boat!!

What? $2,700 bucks? Hmmm, wonder where it’s legal to cut cypress knees? My dad made a lamp out of an AK47 once. I can surly make one out of a cypress knee.

If I actually believed I could get $2,750 for a couple of lamps? I'd say fuck the fishing we're going cypress knee harvesting!!!

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg
That's right, Herewegoagain. I'm not sure where he got his, they had about 3 points apiece, and he had them by every door in his house that stayed open. They were a shade of pinkish gold, as I recollect. He may have gotten them in Florida, but I don't remember exactly any more. He and grandma liked to travel, but I never knew it until our family gatherings on birthdays, Thanksgiving Christmas New Year's Day, Easter, and the 4th of July, probably more in the summertime. Thanks for sharing the picture of the pointed stumps.

You can get all the cypress knees you could ever want living in Walker County.
Quote: "You can get all the cypress knees you could ever want living in Walker County."

I thought I read everything on this thread. How'd I miss this? I'd just die if there were a cypress tree on my land and I didn't know it. I don't like to go in the palmetto area of the seasonal creek, which is a deep trench that feeds into the small man-made lake, as I recollect. It was just too wet to go back into there this spring with occasional 2-day let ups in the rain, you can get equipment bogged down in no time, and walking through the muck is no fun either, because there's more mud left on each shoe that weighs more than the pair. Well, if there are, there are no knees around that I know of. I keep waiting for the dry season to get here, and I keep not being disappointed when it doesn't get here, due to the delightful temperature the rain brings in the evenings. Wonder where they are? I guess I could ask around, because some of the neighbors around here know everything. I don't know what young cypress trees look like, really. lol

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

Yeah...

If I actually believed I could get $2,750 for a couple of lamps? I'd say fuck the fishing we're going cypress knee harvesting!!!

It would still be a cool project though.

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg
That's right, Herewegoagain. I'm not sure where he got his, they had about 3 points apiece, and he had them by every door in his house that stayed open. They were a shade of pinkish gold, as I recollect. He may have gotten them in Florida, but I don't remember exactly any more. He and grandma liked to travel, but I never knew it until our family gatherings on birthdays, Thanksgiving Christmas New Year's Day, Easter, and the 4th of July, probably more in the summertime. Thanks for sharing the picture of the pointed stumps.

Quote: "You can get all the cypress knees you could ever want living in Walker County."

I thought I read everything on this thread. How'd I miss this? I'd just die if there were a cypress tree on my land and I didn't know it. I don't like to go in the palmetto area of the seasonal creek, which is a deep trench that feeds into the small man-made lake, as I recollect. It was just too wet to go back into there this spring with occasional 2-day let ups in the rain, you can get equipment bogged down in no time, and walking through the muck is no fun either, because there's more mud left on each shoe that weighs more than the pair. Well, if there are, there are no knees around that I know of. I keep waiting for the dry season to get here, and I keep not being disappointed when it doesn't get here, due to the delightful temperature the rain brings in the evenings. Wonder where they are? I guess I could ask around, because some of the neighbors around here know everything. I don't know what young cypress trees look like, really. lol

I do a lot of fishing just east of you near Cleveland on an oxbow created by the Trinity river.
The whole 3 mile lake is ringed with cypress and tupelo trees along with fresh water springs.
We have over 6000 acres to roam around on in the SxS.
We've seen bears,cougars and bobcats on the property not to mention coyotes and feral hogs.

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

You are on the right track. If it were me looking here I would head over someplace in chambers county or head up to Caddo Lake. Maybe a kayak and a hand saw ? Or eBay ?

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

I do a lot of fishing just east of you near Cleveland on an oxbow created by the Trinity river.
The whole 3 mile lake is ringed with cypress and tupelo trees along with fresh water springs.
We've seen bears,cougars and bobcats on the property not to mention coyotes and feral hogs.

Hmm. Are there lots of cormorants there? I fish on the Trinity some. Shot an assload of hogs all around there. You talking park or private ?

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

You are on the right track. If it were me looking here I would head over someplace in chambers county or head up to Caddo Lake. Maybe a kayak and a hand saw ? Or eBay ?

No need for that.
She can find cypress in her own county or she can head next door to Liberty county.

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

Hmm. Are there lots of cormorants there? I fish on the Trinity some. Shot an assload of hogs all around there. You talking park or private ?

Shitloads of cormorants!!!
We see em in flocks when they head back to roost on lake Livingston in the evenings.
It oughta be open season on those mother fuckers!!!
The property is private and you have to have a lease. Been going to the place for the last 15 years. When you hit the lake it's likely you wont see another soul and you'll catch 20 + inch bass all day.

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

No need for that.
She can find cypress in her own county or she can head next door to Liberty county.

You messed up man. Now I’ll be fishing in your spot.

Love it!

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

Cleveland? Oh that's that cute little town with a quilt store that's always closed when I went there. lol
What's an 'oxbow'? And what does "SxS" stand for? Is it a military land and sea vehicle like the army used on D-Day?

Used to see a cormorant now and then on Lake Alcova, near Casper Wyoming, where I lived for 35 years. They were huge, big black birds that liked to stretch and enjoy life, at least in the summers there. The ones I saw were usually solitary, and a definite visual oddity.

Shitloads of cormorants!!!
We see em in flocks when they head back to roost on lake Livingston in the evenings.
It oughta be open season on those mother fuckers!!!
The property is private and you have to have a lease. Been going to the place for the last 15 years. When you hit the lake it's likely you wont see another soul and you'll catch 20 + inch bass all day.

I’ll tell you what, next time you see a bunch in a tree, and want to try some different fishing, take your boat up close to the tree. You want to be casting right under them where they shit. Have you some bologna, or chicken gizzards. The gizzards last longer. Grab the right size hook and hook the gizzard so it’s flat. Cast so that it poops on the water and let it drift to the bottom and you will get into some nice catfish.

No need for that.

I think you two oughta go fishing out there together. You'd have a boatload of fun, imho. :)

Used to see a cormorant now and then on Lake Alcova, near Casper Wyoming, where I lived for 35 years. They were huge, big black birds that liked to stretch and enjoy life, at least in the summers there. The ones I saw were usually solitary, and a definite visual oddity.

I like them, but as birds go they are assholes. Clowns, but they are a pain. The kids love them though. Very fun to watch.

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg

Cleveland? Oh that's that cute little town with a quilt store that's always closed when I went there. lol
What's an 'oxbow'? And what does "SxS" stand for? Is it a military land and sea vehicle like the army used on D-Day?

Oxbow.
8923BBB5-A7A5-46A6-829A-3BCB219ACD4A.jpeg

No need for that.

I think you two oughta go fishing out there together. You'd have a boatload of fun, imho. :)

He would hate it because I fish with TNT and an AR15.

Oxbow.
View attachment 260320
That's really pretty, Crixus.

But TNT? That is a little over the top, all right. I can't fish because my mother had skin cancer, and he told her not to let her daughters go out in the sun without long sleeves, broad brimmed hats, and gloves. That was in the days before sunscreen, but I never did much outdoor stuff after dressing for winter in the summer.

No need for that.

You'll need a key or two.

Forum List

Back