Bald Cypress in North Carolina believed to be 2,624 years old.

You can get all the cypress knees you could ever want living in Walker County.
Quote: "You can get all the cypress knees you could ever want living in Walker County."

I thought I read everything on this thread. How'd I miss this? I'd just die if there were a cypress tree on my land and I didn't know it. I don't like to go in the palmetto area of the seasonal creek, which is a deep trench that feeds into the small man-made lake, as I recollect. It was just too wet to go back into there this spring with occasional 2-day let ups in the rain, you can get equipment bogged down in no time, and walking through the muck is no fun either, because there's more mud left on each shoe that weighs more than the pair. Well, if there are, there are no knees around that I know of. I keep waiting for the dry season to get here, and I keep not being disappointed when it doesn't get here, due to the delightful temperature the rain brings in the evenings. Wonder where they are? I guess I could ask around, because some of the neighbors around here know everything. I don't know what young cypress trees look like, really. lol

I do a lot of fishing just east of you near Cleveland on an oxbow created by the Trinity river.
The whole 3 mile lake is ringed with cypress and tupelo trees along with fresh water springs.
We have over 6000 acres to roam around on in the SxS.
We've seen bears,cougars and bobcats on the property not to mention coyotes and feral hogs.
Cleveland? Oh that's that cute little town with a quilt store that's always closed when I went there. lol
What's an 'oxbow'? And what does "SxS" stand for? Is it a military land and sea vehicle like the army used on D-Day?

Oxbow.
View attachment 260320
That's really pretty, Crixus.

But TNT? That is a little over the top, all right. I can't fish because my mother had skin cancer, and he told her not to let her daughters go out in the sun without long sleeves, broad brimmed hats, and gloves. That was in the days before sunscreen, but I never did much outdoor stuff after dressing for winter in the summer.

Yeah you definitely need a hat and some long sleeves. I had two basil cell things removed. I use the highest SPF I can get and a big hat.

Quote: "You can get all the cypress knees you could ever want living in Walker County."

I thought I read everything on this thread. How'd I miss this? I'd just die if there were a cypress tree on my land and I didn't know it. I don't like to go in the palmetto area of the seasonal creek, which is a deep trench that feeds into the small man-made lake, as I recollect. It was just too wet to go back into there this spring with occasional 2-day let ups in the rain, you can get equipment bogged down in no time, and walking through the muck is no fun either, because there's more mud left on each shoe that weighs more than the pair. Well, if there are, there are no knees around that I know of. I keep waiting for the dry season to get here, and I keep not being disappointed when it doesn't get here, due to the delightful temperature the rain brings in the evenings. Wonder where they are? I guess I could ask around, because some of the neighbors around here know everything. I don't know what young cypress trees look like, really. lol

You are on the right track. If it were me looking here I would head over someplace in chambers county or head up to Caddo Lake. Maybe a kayak and a hand saw ? Or eBay ?

No need for that.
She can find cypress in her own county or she can head next door to Liberty county.

You messed up man. Now I’ll be fishing in your spot.

You'll need a key or two.

I got a master key!
13C2F9A6-4F85-4A41-90FA-CC037713C89E.jpeg

Just kidding.

I think you mean he collected cypress knees.
cypress-knees-form-above-the-roots-of-a-cypress-tree-of-the-subfamily-FXX8WA.jpg

Cypress-Knees_2.jpg
That's right, Herewegoagain. I'm not sure where he got his, they had about 3 points apiece, and he had them by every door in his house that stayed open. They were a shade of pinkish gold, as I recollect. He may have gotten them in Florida, but I don't remember exactly any more. He and grandma liked to travel, but I never knew it until our family gatherings on birthdays, Thanksgiving Christmas New Year's Day, Easter, and the 4th of July, probably more in the summertime. Thanks for sharing the picture of the pointed stumps.

I do a lot of fishing just east of you near Cleveland on an oxbow created by the Trinity river.
The whole 3 mile lake is ringed with cypress and tupelo trees along with fresh water springs.
We've seen bears,cougars and bobcats on the property not to mention coyotes and feral hogs.
Cleveland? Oh that's that cute little town with a quilt store that's always closed when I went there. lol
What's an 'oxbow'? And what does "SxS" stand for? Is it a military land and sea vehicle like the army used on D-Day?

An oxbow is created when the the river shifts its path/bank leaving a lake.
What Is An Oxbow Lake?

SxS.
This is the one I have.....
polaris-general-3-lift-kit-02.jpg

That's right, Herewegoagain. I'm not sure where he got his, they had about 3 points apiece, and he had them by every door in his house that stayed open. They were a shade of pinkish gold, as I recollect. He may have gotten them in Florida, but I don't remember exactly any more. He and grandma liked to travel, but I never knew it until our family gatherings on birthdays, Thanksgiving Christmas New Year's Day, Easter, and the 4th of July, probably more in the summertime. Thanks for sharing the picture of the pointed stumps.

What Is An Oxbow Lake?

SxS.

We call them “gaters”. A dude I know in Winnie built one with big fat mud tires on it. It will blast through muck, but I would not be in my good clothes when we went out. Those are awesome for chasing hogs though.

Hmm. Are there lots of cormorants there? I fish on the Trinity some. Shot an assload of hogs all around there. You talking park or private ?

Shitloads of cormorants!!!
We see em in flocks when they head back to roost on lake Livingston in the evenings.
It oughta be open season on those mother fuckers!!!
The property is private and you have to have a lease. Been going to the place for the last 15 years. When you hit the lake it's likely you wont see another soul and you'll catch 20 + inch bass all day.

I’ll tell you what, next time you see a bunch in a tree, and want to try some different fishing, take your boat up close to the tree. You want to be casting right under them where they shit. Have you some bologna, or chicken gizzards. The gizzards last longer. Grab the right size hook and hook the gizzard so it’s flat. Cast so that it poops on the water and let it drift to the bottom and you will get into some nice catfish.

Oh yeah!!!
We fish for cats under the cormorant roosts all the time.
Nothing a cat likes better than a bunch of bird shit loaded with with fish parts!!!
We rake in the the blues and channel cats in mid spring!!

What Is An Oxbow Lake?

SxS.

We call them “gaters”. A dude I know in Winnie built one with big fat mud tires on it. It will blast through muck, but I would not be in my good clothes when we went out. Those are awesome for chasing hogs though.

Mine will run around 80 mph and you can easily get six feet of air and land like you're on a pillow!!!
Funny you mention Winnie...we picked up one of our Boxers there and named her Addy after the pretty little Cajun Queen.

Oxbow.
View attachment 260320
That's really pretty, Crixus.

But TNT? That is a little over the top, all right. I can't fish because my mother had skin cancer, and he told her not to let her daughters go out in the sun without long sleeves, broad brimmed hats, and gloves. That was in the days before sunscreen, but I never did much outdoor stuff after dressing for winter in the summer.

Yeah you definitely need a hat and some long sleeves. I had two basil cell things removed. I use the highest SPF I can get and a big hat.
Glad you caught it timely and hope you're never troubled again by them.

What Is An Oxbow Lake?

SxS.
Nice. I just wondered if S&S meant something like Sand and Sea.(?) I saw a video of one of those a little more primitive than yours that kept tumping over on its side in sand dunes. I had to turn it off. It looked too scarey. Yours looks like it would be ideal for roaming around my property. Every year little holes appear, seems like areas sink and rise for no reason, not that you can actually see, but from one year to the next, here's a bump, there's a low place that didn't seem to be there before. I can't figure it out. Nothing big like a sink hole, but smaller, like a sprained-ankle size depression. Once I found a dug out place, but it was probably just an armadillo digging the week before. Never saw it, but someone told me armadillos do stuff like that.

Maybe my fields were once tall pine stands before they were cleared and became pasture areas of a bigger place than this one, and maybe where their tap roots penetrated through the limestone that is alleged to be here are portals for ground water to gurgle up and down in muddy spring season. My drive is about 450 steps from the side door to the road. If I walk out to the mailbox, I almost always step into one of those little sink areas, unless I stay on the rocks on the drive. Then, if you step on where the water washes over the drive from time to time like a regular flood plain, you can get wet shoes.

I like your S&S wheels they look like what's on my Tractor, and that means secure driving on this piece of wet and its seasonal uniquely unstable earth. It was so wet this winter I didn't bother to do a garden, and I think it's too late now, because when we do get a couple of nice days, it will be very hot all of a sudden and stay that way till early winter.

Well, It's a little late here.. Time to take night supplements and raise the feet to reduce the swelling. Thanks for the great chat, fellas. Niters. :sleep:

What Is An Oxbow Lake?

SxS.
Nice. I just wondered if S&S meant something like Sand and Sea.(?) I saw a video of one of those a little more primitive than yours that kept tumping over on its side in sand dunes. I had to turn it off. It looked too scarey. Yours looks like it would be ideal for roaming around my property. Every year little holes appear, seems like areas sink and rise for no reason, not that you can actually see, but from one year to the next, here's a bump, there's a low place that didn't seem to be there before. I can't figure it out. Nothing big like a sink hole, but smaller, like a sprained-ankle size depression. Once I found a dug out place, but it was probably just an armadillo digging the week before. Never saw it, but someone told me armadillos do stuff like that.

Maybe my fields were once tall pine stands before they were cleared and became pasture areas of a bigger place than this one, and maybe where their tap roots penetrated through the limestone that is alleged to be here are portals for ground water to gurgle up and down in muddy spring season. My drive is about 450 steps from the side door to the road. If I walk out to the mailbox, I almost always step into one of those little sink areas, unless I stay on the rocks on the drive. Then, if you step on where the water washes over the drive from time to time like a regular flood plain, you can get wet shoes.

I like your S&S wheels they look like what's on my Tractor, and that means secure driving on this piece of wet and its seasonal uniquely unstable earth. It was so wet this winter I didn't bother to do a garden, and I think it's too late now, because when we do get a couple of nice days, it will be very hot all of a sudden and stay that way till early winter.

Well, It's a little late here.. Time to take night supplements and raise the feet to reduce the swelling. Thanks for the great chat, fellas. Niters. :sleep:

It's $20,000k for one like mine before mods.
But there's plenty of cheaper options.

Forum List

Back