Balance the Budget?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dr.Traveler, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    Budget Puzzle: Can you Balance the Budget

New York Times this week has an interactive Flash app that lets you try a hand at balancing the budget through spending cuts and tax hikes. I'm curious, for those Left and Right that like to gripe about the budget, can you do it?

I did it. You can link to your choices so everyone here can mock your poor decision making skills. Here's mine.

You'll see I covered 79% of the budget gap by cutting government, and 21% by raising taxes. I don't honestly think that it's possible to cover all 100% with spending cuts using the options given.

So, how did you all do?

EDIT: Correction, by using the harshest Spending Cuts, without touching the military I can cover the 2030 shortfall. Unless you want to implement tough military cuts, I don't see you can cover the 2015 shortfall with just cuts.

EDIT: Let's make it interesting. If you cover the gap and post the link to your solution for us all to see, I'll give you a positive rep (assuming I can). Thanks to all who've posted so far.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    Made it close to the target all with budget cuts.

There are zillions of other areas (i.e. corporate subsidies, the welfare state, the idiotic "war" on [some] drugs) that would've likely put the number over the top.

Also, the tax increases presume that those increases wouldn't change behavior to avoid them...Which never pans out.

3. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,702
    Here at my house, when we talk about balancing our budget, the first thing the wife does is cut all the stuff I want to buy out of the budget. Her items are never cut...:evil:

5. iamwhatiseem

iamwhatiseem Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,098
    I suggest switching back the clothes you both wear.

6. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    So show us how you did it, rock star!

8. loosecannon

loosecannon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +264
    Budget Puzzle: You Fix the Budget - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

I solved the problem thru 2030 while only getting 2/3 of the way thru the page. Which convinces me this is bullshit. There is a 100 trillion liabilities shortfall and within 5 years interest on the debt alone is reported to be $1 trillion/year.

If it is this damned easy why do we have a 1.3 trillion deficit?

9. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,678
    I think this was posted already. My point then is the same now. Just cut the budget and let THEM figger out the rest. That's THEIR job, we pay THEM to do that.

10. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Mathematician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,047
    Because half the stuff on the list is flat out impossible to get through Congress, no matter who's in charge. Also note, there's no options in here for increasing spending, which Congress actually does all the time, nor is there an option for cutting taxes.

So, the game being played here is that assuming no tax cuts, or spending hikes, what do you cut from the budget or what taxes do you increase to actually balance.

It's a fun game to play if for nothing else so you can see just how little some of the stuff people harp on (Farm Subsidies, Ear marks) actually matter, and just how expensive some things (Military Expenditures, Entitlements like Medicare and Social Security) have become.

I know that if you look at my first try at a solution, posted in the OP, there's a lot of stuff in there that would get me flat out assassinated by Left wing and Right Wing wackos, forget actually getting elected in the first place if I actually stated these goals on the election trail.

I will add, some of the options for cuts are limited, as are some of the taxation options. There's a lot of creative things that could close the gap if they could actually get traction.

Keep posting folks. I'm curious what your percentages look like. I know a lot of you think I'm Left leaning, but I'm curious how many folks can beat my 79/21 split.