Which party is better at managing the budget?

Which party manages the budget better? I'm giving you what each president from Carter forward inherited in terms of net budget deficit/surplus, what they left behind in terms of deficit/surplus, and then what the net change in the deficit/surplus was under their leadership.

Carter inherited 184.7b deficit
Carter left behind: 191.6b deficit
Net change for Carter: Worsened the budget by 6.9b

Reagan inherited: 191.6b deficit
Reagan left behind: 267.1b deficit
Net change for Reagan: Worsened the budget by 75.5b

HW Bush inherited: 267.1b deficit
HW Bush left behind: 387.5b deficit
Net change for HW Bush: Worsened the budget by 120.4b

Clinton inherited: 387.5b deficit
Clinton left behind: 166.1b SURPLUS <---note: SURPLUS
Net change for Clinton: Improved the budget by 553.6b

W Bush inherited: 166.1b SURPLUS
W Bush left behind: 1,500.8b deficit <---note: At the time, worst deficit in US history
Net change for W Bush: Worsened the budget by 1,666.9b

Obama inherited: 1,500.8b deficit
Obama left behind: 561.0b deficit
Net change for Obama: Improved the budget by 939.8b <---note: At the time, fastest rate of deficit reduction post WW2

Trump inherited: 561.0b deficit
Trump left behind: 2,402.1b deficit <---note: Worst deficit in US history
Net change for Trump: Worsened the budget by 1,841b

Biden inherited: 2,402.1M deficit
Biden today: 928.6M deficit
Net change for Biden: Improved budget by 1,473.5M <---note: Fastest rate of deficit reduction post WW2

If we put all of this together and split it out by party, we see that republican presidents combined to move the budget in the wrong direction by 3.7 trillion, whereas democratic presidents combined to move the budget in the right direction by 3.0 trillion.

So that's what the data says in terms of budget management by president and party, but what do you say? And if you feel this data isn't a good metric to use to gauge how each president or party manages the budget, what is and why?

Data: Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary
Thats cute, but your premise requires a lot more nuance before you can even reach that conclusion. Im seeing you do this a lot. You post some numbers and act like thats all there is to it. Everyone can post numbers that make their side look awesome. Its a weak tactic.

When Congress says "cut spending" what they mean is instead of spending 15% more than last year...we'll only spend 14.82% more. Spending has been cut! :cuckoo:
Just like Biden's "inflation is down".

Sure ... prices when up another 3% over last year...on top of the 15% cumulative inflation over the past three years...but that 3% is less than the 5% prices went up last year...so we can SAY inflation is down even though prices went up again.

Same Washington swamp spin.

Thats right, you don't post it because you know your silly free-lunch strories will get smashed on the facts.
No, because you'll deny anything and just be a shithead, because you are a shithead, so why bother, Shithead? :dunno:

Just like Biden's "inflation is down".

Sure ... prices when up another 3% over last year...on top of the 15% cumulative inflation over the past three years...but that 3% is less than the 5% prices went up last year...so we can SAY inflation is down even though prices went up again.

Same Washington swamp spin.

Annual House insurance just doubled. Annual Car wash monthly just doubled. They hope you won't notice I suppose? I paid both and thought about it...........we'll see.

No, because you'll deny anything and just be a shithead, because you are a shithead, so why bother, Shithead? :dunno:

When people pay less taxes, government collects more taxes.

This is seriously your explanation of Trump's amazing fiscal contribution, multi-trillion dollar deficits and all.

True or not?

Annual House insurance just doubled. Annual Car wash monthly just doubled. They hope you won't notice I suppose? I paid both and thought about it...........we'll see.

That house insurance is a mistake. I don't think it was a 2X increase? I would have to look it up again but from ~$600 to over ~$1000. They sited cost to repair, wood, labor etc.

Car wash from $19.95 per car to $39.95.

Which party manages the budget better? I'm giving you what each president from Carter forward inherited in terms of net budget deficit/surplus, what they left behind in terms of deficit/surplus, and then what the net change in the deficit/surplus was under their leadership.

Carter inherited 184.7b deficit
Carter left behind: 191.6b deficit
Net change for Carter: Worsened the budget by 6.9b

Reagan inherited: 191.6b deficit
Reagan left behind: 267.1b deficit
Net change for Reagan: Worsened the budget by 75.5b

HW Bush inherited: 267.1b deficit
HW Bush left behind: 387.5b deficit
Net change for HW Bush: Worsened the budget by 120.4b

Clinton inherited: 387.5b deficit
Clinton left behind: 166.1b SURPLUS <---note: SURPLUS
Net change for Clinton: Improved the budget by 553.6b

W Bush inherited: 166.1b SURPLUS
W Bush left behind: 1,500.8b deficit <---note: At the time, worst deficit in US history
Net change for W Bush: Worsened the budget by 1,666.9b

Obama inherited: 1,500.8b deficit
Obama left behind: 561.0b deficit
Net change for Obama: Improved the budget by 939.8b <---note: At the time, fastest rate of deficit reduction post WW2

Trump inherited: 561.0b deficit
Trump left behind: 2,402.1b deficit <---note: Worst deficit in US history
Net change for Trump: Worsened the budget by 1,841b

Biden inherited: 2,402.1M deficit
Biden today: 928.6M deficit
Net change for Biden: Improved budget by 1,473.5M <---note: Fastest rate of deficit reduction post WW2

If we put all of this together and split it out by party, we see that republican presidents combined to move the budget in the wrong direction by 3.7 trillion, whereas democratic presidents combined to move the budget in the right direction by 3.0 trillion.

So that's what the data says in terms of budget management by president and party, but what do you say? And if you feel this data isn't a good metric to use to gauge how each president or party manages the budget, what is and why?

Data: Federal Receipt and Outlay Summary
Usually I am more impressed with how the Democrats manage the budget. Money is better spent when Democrats are in leadership.

It’s absurd that the OP talks about a “budget” when we’ve had nothing but CR since 2008 and the President lost his ability to have a say in 1974!

Once again, both Parties SUCK and have gotten exponentially WORSE each election cycle

Duopoly1.jpg

Forum List

Back