Badnarik "Gun Control Means Being Able to Hit your Target"

Discussion in 'Politics' started by tpahl, Jun 19, 2004.

1. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
  2. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    if anyone could give me the URL for GW Bush's position on guns this campaign that would be great. Strangely I can not find it anywhere on this campaign site.

Travis

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Hey tphal, feel free to link a position paper and add a blurb, but don't post the whole thing.

4. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
  5. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    That site just has some headlines for articles. And then it wants me to sign up for a free one week subscription. What I am looking for is an actual issue paper or campaign platform by GW Bush on gun control. If you go to his web page he has pages on how he expanded the education budget by almost 60% or how he has a plan to spend almost 2 billion tax dollars on developing hydrogen cars. but he has nothing on protecting the 2nd amendment that I can find.

Travis

6. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Well all I can say is this. I found that one on a Google search and sent the link without much study or fanfare. I imaginge you can do the same seeing as how it is you that is looiking for the info.

You are welcome BTW

http://www.google.com/

7. pegwinn

pegwinn Top of the Food Chain

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +329
    Gun control is Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, and Trigger Control.

Speaking of Bush, here is his Y2K NPAT STATEMENT.
    http://www.vote-smart.org/npat.php?old=true&can_id=CNIP9043&npatform_id=156#12

2000 Presidential National Political Awareness Test
    MAJOR SNIPPAGE. USE LINK FOR THE REST. SAVE OUR SCROLL BUTTONS.

Please Note

The National Political Awareness Test (NPAT) asks candidates which items they will support if elected. It does not ask them to indicate which items they will oppose. Through extensive research of public polling data, we discovered that voters are more concerned with what candidates would support when elected to office, not what they oppose. If a candidate does not select a response to any part or all of any question, it does not necessarily indicate that the candidate is opposed to that particular item.

Project Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any negative campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.

Gun Issues
    (Back to top)
    Indicate which principles you support (if any) concerning gun issues.
    a) Ban the sale or transfer of semi-automatic guns, except those used for hunting.

b) Maintain federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns.

c) Ease federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns.

d) Repeal federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns by law-abiding citizens.

X e) Allow citizens to carry concealed guns.

f) Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks on guns.

g) Increase penalties for the possession of any illegal guns.

h) Hold gun owners responsible for crimes committed with their guns by children age 16 and under.

X i) Raise the minimum age for ownership of handguns from 18 to 21.

j) Require three business days for background checks of gun buyers at gun shows.

X k) Strengthen enforcement of current regulations on guns.

l) Require a license for gun possession.

X Other
    Bush states that 'for any juvenile found guilty of a serious gun offense, there will be a lifetime ban on carrying or purchasing a gun - any gun, for any reason, at any age, ever.'
    Regarding E, 'Bush opposes mandatory child-safety locks on guns and supports the right of Texans to carry a concealed weapon.'
    Regarding F, 'Bush supports voluntary safety locks.'
    Regarding H, Bush states that 'there needs to be laws that say that if a parent is irresponsible and a child ends up with a weapon, the parent ought to be held accountable.'
    Regarding J, 'Bush supports requiring instant background checks at gun shows by allowing gun show promoters to access the instant check system on behalf of vendors.'

8. tpahl

tpahl Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks!

So here is GW Bushs stance 4 years ago. Lets examine some of them...

Why would bush not want to ease federal restriction on the purchase and possession of guns? Why would pro gun owner rights advocates vote for Bush?

Again, why did he not chose this one? Seems like an obvious one for people that beleive in the second amendment. Why did the NRA endorse him?

Great, and what has he done to support this position?

If this is not a violation of the 2nd amendment I do not know what is!!!

You mean all that legislation that the NRA fought against? He wants to support that? And the NRA endorsed him? What is wrong with this picture?

I just do not see how a person who supports the right to own and carry a gun could support Bush.

Travis

9. HGROKIT

HGROKIT Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Nice Travis - since everyone on the board did the research for this except you. Why did I have a feeling you were fishing when after not being able to find any info "on your own", and dismissing the link I sent you?

Anyway, since you seem to have a narrow view on things, let me broaden your horizon so to speak.

It is call COMPROMISE. Nothing more spectaular or sinister or conspiritorial than that. I understand it is a difficult concept for southpaws, but, there ya go!

10. leojoeyjoe

leojoeyjoe Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got my "peace through superior firepower t-shirt"