Badnarik "Gun Control Means Being Able to Hit your Target"

if anyone could give me the URL for GW Bush's position on guns this campaign that would be great. Strangely I can not find it anywhere on this campaign site.

Travis

Hey tphal, feel free to link a position paper and add a blurb, but don't post the whole thing.

That site just has some headlines for articles. And then it wants me to sign up for a free one week subscription. What I am looking for is an actual issue paper or campaign platform by GW Bush on gun control. If you go to his web page he has pages on how he expanded the education budget by almost 60% or how he has a plan to spend almost 2 billion tax dollars on developing hydrogen cars. but he has nothing on protecting the 2nd amendment that I can find.

Travis

Originally posted by tpahl
That site just has some headlines for articles. And then it wants me to sign up for a free one week subscription. What I am looking for is an actual issue paper or campaign platform by GW Bush on gun control. If you go to his web page he has pages on how he expanded the education budget by almost 60% or how he has a plan to spend almost 2 billion tax dollars on developing hydrogen cars. but he has nothing on protecting the 2nd amendment that I can find.

Travis

Well all I can say is this. I found that one on a Google search and sent the link without much study or fanfare. I imaginge you can do the same seeing as how it is you that is looiking for the info.

You are welcome BTW

http://www.google.com/

Gun control is Sight Alignment, Sight Picture, and Trigger Control.

Speaking of Bush, here is his Y2K NPAT STATEMENT.
http://www.vote-smart.org/npat.php?old=true&can_id=CNIP9043&npatform_id=156#12

2000 Presidential National Political Awareness Test
MAJOR SNIPPAGE. USE LINK FOR THE REST. SAVE OUR SCROLL BUTTONS.

Please Note

The National Political Awareness Test (NPAT) asks candidates which items they will support if elected. It does not ask them to indicate which items they will oppose. Through extensive research of public polling data, we discovered that voters are more concerned with what candidates would support when elected to office, not what they oppose. If a candidate does not select a response to any part or all of any question, it does not necessarily indicate that the candidate is opposed to that particular item.

Project Vote Smart does not permit the use of its name or programs in any negative campaign activity, including advertising, debates, and speeches.

Gun Issues
(Back to top)
Indicate which principles you support (if any) concerning gun issues.
a) Ban the sale or transfer of semi-automatic guns, except those used for hunting.

b) Maintain federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns.

c) Ease federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns.

d) Repeal federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns by law-abiding citizens.

X e) Allow citizens to carry concealed guns.

f) Require manufacturers to provide child-safety locks on guns.

g) Increase penalties for the possession of any illegal guns.

h) Hold gun owners responsible for crimes committed with their guns by children age 16 and under.

X i) Raise the minimum age for ownership of handguns from 18 to 21.

j) Require three business days for background checks of gun buyers at gun shows.

X k) Strengthen enforcement of current regulations on guns.

l) Require a license for gun possession.

X Other
Bush states that 'for any juvenile found guilty of a serious gun offense, there will be a lifetime ban on carrying or purchasing a gun - any gun, for any reason, at any age, ever.'
Regarding E, 'Bush opposes mandatory child-safety locks on guns and supports the right of Texans to carry a concealed weapon.'
Regarding F, 'Bush supports voluntary safety locks.'
Regarding H, Bush states that 'there needs to be laws that say that if a parent is irresponsible and a child ends up with a weapon, the parent ought to be held accountable.'
Regarding J, 'Bush supports requiring instant background checks at gun shows by allowing gun show promoters to access the instant check system on behalf of vendors.'

Thanks!

So here is GW Bushs stance 4 years ago. Lets examine some of them...

c) Ease federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns.

Why would bush not want to ease federal restriction on the purchase and possession of guns? Why would pro gun owner rights advocates vote for Bush?

d) Repeal federal restrictions on the purchase and possession of guns by law-abiding citizens.

Again, why did he not chose this one? Seems like an obvious one for people that beleive in the second amendment. Why did the NRA endorse him?

X e) Allow citizens to carry concealed guns.
Great, and what has he done to support this position?

X i) Raise the minimum age for ownership of handguns from 18 to 21.

If this is not a violation of the 2nd amendment I do not know what is!!!

X k) Strengthen enforcement of current regulations on guns.

You mean all that legislation that the NRA fought against? He wants to support that? And the NRA endorsed him? What is wrong with this picture?

I just do not see how a person who supports the right to own and carry a gun could support Bush.

Travis

Thanks!

So here is GW Bushs stance 4 years ago. Lets examine some of them...

Why would bush not want to ease federal restriction on the purchase and possession of guns? Why would pro gun owner rights advocates vote for Bush?

Again, why did he not chose this one? Seems like an obvious one for people that beleive in the second amendment. Why did the NRA endorse him?

Great, and what has he done to support this position?

If this is not a violation of the 2nd amendment I do not know what is!!!

You mean all that legislation that the NRA fought against? He wants to support that? And the NRA endorsed him? What is wrong with this picture?

I just do not see how a person who supports the right to own and carry a gun could support Bush.

Travis

Nice Travis - since everyone on the board did the research for this except you. Why did I have a feeling you were fishing when after not being able to find any info "on your own", and dismissing the link I sent you?

Anyway, since you seem to have a narrow view on things, let me broaden your horizon so to speak.

It is call COMPROMISE. Nothing more spectaular or sinister or conspiritorial than that. I understand it is a difficult concept for southpaws, but, there ya go!

Thanks! You're welcome
Travis

Ok, taking what I sent you and attempting to make something with it was cheap, but I should've seen it coming. If you have an axe to grind, in the future get your own whetstone.

BTW T'pol, are you really a female vulcan with great uh "ears"?

Originally posted by HGROKIT
Nice Travis - since everyone on the board did the research for this except you.

what do you mean everyone else did their homework? I look all over Georgewbush.com site for about 15 minutes and found nothing on guns or gun control. I did my homework. So far the best anyone else has done (not you btw) was a his position 4 years ago and still not from him directly but rather a third party non partisan site. I am trying to find his current campaign stance on gun control. I seriously can not find it.

Why did I have a feeling you were fishing when after not being able to find any info "on your own", and dismissing the link I sent you?

I dismissed your link because it was worthless. I am not trying to be mean or anything by saying that, but it serious said nothing about bushs stance on gun control and on top of that required a subscription.

Anyway, since you seem to have a narrow view on things, let me broaden your horizon so to speak.

It is call COMPROMISE. Nothing more spectaular or sinister or conspiritorial than that. I understand it is a difficult concept for southpaws, but, there ya go!

You feel your rights should be compromised away? And out of curiousity, how has it been a compromise? When was the last time the federal government every relaxed its gun regulations? If it is always getting more and more restrictive, i fail to see how that is a compromise rather than a loss.

Travis

I believe his position is one of supporting current gun policy as it is now....so he's pro-brady but anti-new reforms....but he hasn't spoken on it in some time...not sure really...newest I found is this:

Bush On Gun Control

All Things Considered audio

May 14, 2001

NPR's Eric Westervelt reports President Bush proposed today to beef up law enforcement and prosecution of cases involving firearms violence and illegal guns. Mr. Bush wants to hire more state and federal prosecutors; improve record-keeping to keep guns away from criminals; and expand ballistics testing to trace illegal guns. Gun control advocates say the president needs to pass "new" laws to accomplish those goals.

Originally posted by pegwinn
Ok, taking what I sent you and attempting to make something with it was cheap, but I should've seen it coming.

How was it cheap? I was comparing what Bush said he was for with what he has actually done or with what gun rights activists support. If you do not like how he stacks up, that does not make me cheap. i

If you have an axe to grind, in the future get your own whetstone.

I was looking for Bushs current stance on gun control. As far as I can tell it is not on his official campaign site. I find this troubling considering the NRA will or already has endorsed him again. I really have looked for it. I want to be able to show both Bush and Badnariks positions side by side.

Travis

Originally posted by leojoeyjoe
I believe his position is one of supporting current gun policy as it is now....so he's pro-brady but anti-new reforms....but he hasn't spoken on it in some time...not sure really...

This is my impression of his views as well, but I can not find ANYTHING recent to confirm it. Most of the old stuff seems to confirm this as well. What I can not understand is why gun supporters support Bush. Pro Brady, pro status quo on guns seems to be a fairly anti gun position to me.

Travis

From what i've read he took what is considered a Pro-dem position last time around and it cost him dearly...most guesses are that he will not make the same mistake twice and so will not address the ban expiring in September unless he is forced to.

This is my impression of his views as well, but I can not find ANYTHING recent to confirm it. Most of the old stuff seems to confirm this as well. What I can not understand is why gun supporters support Bush. Pro Brady, pro status quo on guns seems to be a fairly anti gun position to me.

Travis

Travis - has it occured to you that his position has not changed and that is why there is nothing more "current"?

RE: the link I sent and your dismissal. You never stated you could not find it in a serious tone. What I sent you was a quick google search. I had no vested interest to send you anything more. Had you sincerly asked for help I would have given it. Seems however if you are trying to make a point, who better to research the supportive material tha you? After all, you are the only one that knows the point of view you are trying to present.

Travis - has it occured to you that his position has not changed and that is why there is nothing more "current"?
Yes but he will have to address the expiring ban...it expires in Sep.....before the election....wait and see..
for the record though, I couldn't care less...I'm a Republican from the South...I AM my gun's control...

Originally posted by leojoeyjoe
From what i've read he took what is considered a Pro-dem position last time around and it cost him dearly...most guesses are that he will not make the same mistake twice and so will not address the ban expiring in September unless he is forced to.

From my understanding he is in favor of renewing the ban. It appears that since his anti gun stance did not go over well, rather than change his stance to a more affirmitative pro gun stance he is chosing to just not saying anything and hope that pro gun groups continue to unwisely endorse him.

Of the 2nd amendment supporters here, are any of you happy with Bushs results in the last 4 years in regards to guns? Do you like Badnariks stance better?

Travis

From my understanding he is in favor of renewing the ban. It appears that since his anti gun stance did not go over well, rather than change his stance to a more affirmitative pro gun stance he is chosing to just not saying anything and hope that pro gun groups continue to unwisely endorse him.
I would say that this is more than likely his stance....he better not go after gun shows though...i'll be more than peeved.

Forum List

Back