Bachmann versus Palin

actually, they were pretty close

Not really. Take homosexuality for instance. Goldwater wouldn't have minded...Reagan did for sure.
yeah, thats why Reagan increased funding for AIDS research

increased funding for AIDS research? there was no AIDS research prior to the reagan presidency because the epidemic hadn't been discovered.

and if i recall correctly, there were a lot of dying people begging for research money and protesting with signs that said Silence = Death.

it took Actup protests and six years of silence for reagan to say anything about AIDS.

See, DiveCon, you should not give the crone cover by indulging her disingenuous worship of dead conservatives.

In thirty years, when she's pooping in a plastic bag, she'll pine for Republicans that were more like Reagan, just like the crap she is pulling here with Goldwater.

Not really. Take homosexuality for instance. Goldwater wouldn't have minded...Reagan did for sure.

increased funding for AIDS research? there was no AIDS research prior to the reagan presidency because the epidemic hadn't been discovered.

and if i recall correctly, there were a lot of dying people begging for research money and protesting with signs that said Silence = Death.

it took Actup protests and six years of silence for reagan to say anything about AIDS.
actually thats not true
seems there are a lot of lies about this on the net

Reagan and AIDS: A Reassessment ? IGF Culture Watch

i think this is a rather unbiased coverage of this
and you will see about half way down the page

actually thats not true

i read that. actually, i think i just pm'd it to you.

that's a minority view and very kind.

this is another that more closely mirrors what i remember.

Following discovery of the first cases in 1981, it soon became clear a national health crisis was developing. But President Reagan's response was "halting and ineffective," according to his biographer Lou Cannon. Those infected initially with this mysterious disease -- all gay men -- found themselves targeted with an unprecedented level of mean-spirited hostility.

significant source of Reagan's support came from the newly identified religious right and the Moral Majority, a political-action group founded by the Rev. Jerry Falwell. AIDS became the tool, and gay men the target, for the politics of fear, hate and discrimination. Falwell said "AIDS is the wrath of God upon homosexuals." Reagan's communications director Pat Buchanan argued that AIDS is "nature's revenge on gay men."

With each passing month, death and suffering increased at a frightening rate. Scientists, researchers and health care professionals at every level expressed the need for funding. The response of the Reagan administration was indifference.

Reagan's AIDS Legacy / Silence equals death - SFGate

See, DiveCon, you should not give the crone cover by indulging her disingenuous worship of dead conservatives.

In thirty years, when she's pooping in a plastic bag, she'll pine for Republicans that were more like Reagan, just like the crap she is pulling here with Goldwater.
you need to look up and understand the meaning of the word "crone" Jillian isnt even close

you need to look up and understand the meaning of the word "crone" Jillian isnt even close

thanks. see, the boi troll doesn't understand that people can disagree on things and be friends and be respectful.

maybe it's because he's a child. :dunno:

It works for me in the context of this forum.

Now go back to pissing in the wind indulging her bullshit romantic waxing about dead conservatives.

I bet she loved Bill Buckley, too. Mr "only vote for electable" conservatives lost the only election he ran for. I guess he broke his own rule if he voted for himself.

Last edited:
PalinBachmann1.jpg

I think they represent the intellectual center of the Republican Party.

actually thats not true

Following discovery of the first cases in 1981, it soon became clear a national health crisis was developing. But President Reagan's response was "halting and ineffective," according to his biographer Lou Cannon. Those infected initially with this mysterious disease -- all gay men -- found themselves targeted with an unprecedented level of mean-spirited hostility.

significant source of Reagan's support came from the newly identified religious right and the Moral Majority, a political-action group founded by the Rev. Jerry Falwell. AIDS became the tool, and gay men the target, for the politics of fear, hate and discrimination. Falwell said "AIDS is the wrath of God upon homosexuals." Reagan's communications director Pat Buchanan argued that AIDS is "nature's revenge on gay men."

With each passing month, death and suffering increased at a frightening rate. Scientists, researchers and health care professionals at every level expressed the need for funding. The response of the Reagan administration was indifference.

Another good read on the subject is "My Own Country" by Abraham Varghese who was an infectious disease doctor during the time when HIV became an epidemic. It's not terribly political, and basically focuses on how the disease affected small communities (Johnson City, TN in this case), but Varghese also has a dim view of the administration's handling of the matter.

How about we start simple, with all the crazy shit that Bachman says:

The 10 Craziest Michele Bachmann Quotes: Pics, Videos, Links, News

However, I have to say (to answer the OP's question), if I had a gun to my head and had to chose Palin or Bachman, I think I'd go with Bachman.

Unlike Palin, she has a degree of experience. Furthermore, unlike Palin, she's never quit.

It is not difficult to come up with a top ten list of crazy things said by any public figure.
For you to make a judgement call on something like that is rediculous.
Biden has a top ten list that will far out do anything on Bachman.
Obama has some good ones and he is only 5 years in national public office.

Hell, just yesterday I said that congress is made up of 485 memebers when, in fact it is 535.

Gaffes are gaffes. Shit happens when you are constantly in the forefront.

Gaffes do not make someone crazy.

They're not gaffes with Bachmann.

The actions and defense of the lunacy proves they are not gaffes.

As I said earlier: It's not a gaffe if you mean it.

actually thats not true

Another good read on the subject is "My Own Country" by Abraham Varghese who was an infectious disease doctor during the time when HIV became an epidemic. It's not terribly political, and basically focuses on how the disease affected small communities (Johnson City, TN in this case), but Varghese also has a dim view of the administration's handling of the matter.

what i most recall is the sense that because it was a 'gay plague', they were slow to act. they had no clue what it was. they had no idea how it was transmitted and you had people like jesse helms talking about how it was g-d's retribution.

thanks for the heads up on the book. sounds like an interesting read.

what i most recall is the sense that because it was a 'gay plague', they were slow to act. they had no clue what it was. they had no idea how it was transmitted and you had people like jesse helms talking about how it was g-d's retribution.

thanks for the heads up on the book. sounds like an interesting read.

I remember around the time I first learned of aids back in 81-82, I was hitchhiking up the coast from Santa Cruz to SF, caught a ride from a guy that had lost a friend to it, with other friends sick.

There's always going to be prejudice, politics in our lives, being human. It is sometimes more hard to sort out the Science and Positive action from what we do on both sides of the equation. We ended up with a contaminated blood supply that effected and killed many Hemophiliacs, and anyone else that needed blood, on the flip side of that equation. Shit happens on all sides. ;) Sometimes we are slow to respond to what we know for whatever excuse or reason. That is part of human nature. The silver lining is that for the most part, in the end, we sometimes learn the lesson.

not really. goldwater wouldn't have given the radical religious right a seat at the table.
neither did Reagan

That's the selective revisionist amnesia post of the week.

No it's not. The religious right were courted for their votes. During the presidency of Reagan, Bush 1 and Bush 2, how much of their social agenda was ever accomplished? The RR backed them beause of "shared values" in the hopes that their agenda would progress under the candidates leadership. Did it?

I fear the same thing with the tea party. They helped to get a bunch of Republicans elected......but it remains to be seen if the status quo will change. Time will tell.

The truth in both instances, the RR and the TP are not big enough to go it alone and get candidates elected. All they can do is be the tipping factor.

Forum List

Back