Baby, It’s Cold Consent

Peony

Rookie
Mar 10, 2016

The 1944 song Baby, It’s Cold Outside has been updated for the current century. You know, the 21 century where morality and sensibility have evolved. The Stay Out of My Bedroom but Celebrate My Sexual Choices century. The Love is Love century. The How Dare You Judge? century. The Don’t Impose Your Morals (or God’s) on Me century. The You Must Pay for My Contraception century. The I Disagree with You, Therefore You are a Hater, So Shut-up century.

Songwriters Lydia Liza and Josiah Lemanski never liked this Baby, It’s Cold Outside song. It’s too “open ended” for their taste. Indeed, the line, “what’s in this drink?” leaves a “bad taste in their mouths”. The man’s insistence that the woman remain with him, rather than suffer the cold outside, along with his awful temerity to joke that her refusal would hurt his pride are “aggressive” and “inappropriate”.

This songwriter couple’s long term angst caused by a silly little flirty ditty written some fifty years before they were born, compelled them to revamp this song to give them closure and to school the rest of us on the importance of consent.

Let’s examine the scenario that this song presents that so distressed “songwriters”, Lydia and Josiah.

The woman is at the man’s house. He says he was hoping that she’d drop in. So far so good, right? She chose to be there. He’s glad she came.

He takes her hands (after indicating he is intending to. It’s like he is asking her permission!) to warm them (her hands are cold because it’s cold outside!). Our songwriters would have us believe that he is dragging her into his bed against her will. (Rather an interpretive stretch. After all, he took her hands, not her p*ssy.)

At some point, she says can’t stay. He indicates that he’d like her to stay. They banter back and forth. “I really must go”, she says. He urges she remain because, “it’s cold outside”. Eventually, she agrees to stay for another drink. Later, she chooses to stay for another cigarette. She says, “there’s bound to be talk tomorrow”! People might think we are an item because that is what we’re working at here! He certainly does not disagree and reasserts that it’s nice and cozy inside, versus outside, where it’s cold.

She says her aunt will gossip, he asks if she would mind if he moves in closer. She keeps chattering about what other people will think and do regarding their activities. He remarks that her lips look delicious. She chatters some more. He remarks that her lips are delicious. She keeps chattering. She doesn’t whip out pepper spray or leap up and out the door. She remains there with him, kissing him. There is no indication that consent is absent.

Still, to our “songwriters” this exchange is some sort of anthem of sexual abuse. Thus, they change the lyrics from her, “there’s bound to be talk tomorrow” to “we're bound to be talking tomorrow”. Now his response is, “text me at your earliest convenience.”

There! That’s better! How socially conscious! How lyrical! How very 21st century romantic!

Somehow our “songwriters” don’t see that these people are flirting. You know, something a couple does when they are attracted to each other? Flirting does not mean sexual abuse. Flirting is flirting. Makes you wonder how our “songwriters” met and became a “couple”. Perhaps they met at a heartwarming sexual empowerment workshop?

Maybe these “songwriters” were so busy looking to be outraged about words that they deem “aggressive” and “open ended” that they missed the point. That is, Baby, It’s Cold Outside is a silly slightly naughty song. It’s fun.

Take a look at the rewritten lyrics. It’s not fun anymore. Even when they attempt to be “funny” and “cool” they are flat out- not. Ah, but it “felt so right” to them. The "what's in this drink?" line is answered in their version with "Pomegranate La Croix" . (These “songwriters” must be a riot on a date. Bet they eat raw spinach with their bubbly diluted pomegranate squeezings while as they sit across a table texting other people.)

Let’s face it, these “songwriters” were so busy telling us how the couple in the song should resolve this social encounter, that they missed the part where the couple did resolve it. After all, at the end of the song, the couple agrees that it is, indeed, cold outside.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/02/us/baby-its-cold-outside-cover-trnd/index.html

These action by a minority fraction of society, from activist ,does not represent the population as a whole and will gain no significant amount of followers...

.....Let’s face it, these “songwriters” were so busy telling us how the couple in the song should resolve this social encounter, that they missed the part where the couple did resolve it. After all, at the end of the song, the couple agrees that it is, indeed, cold outside.

upload_2016-12-8_12-13-5.jpeg

*****HAPPY SMILE*****

;)

Last edited:
1944: 18 year olds storm the beach of Normandy to almost certain death.
2016: 18 year olds need a safe place because words hurt.
The Millennials are an embarrassment to the American people.

Forum List

Back