Awards

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
Americans and others around the world annually watch or otherwise keep track of a gaggle of entertainment industry gatherings at which professionals and practitioners in that industry receive recognition for having, in the estimation of various groups, performed better at their jobs than their peers. Indeed, there are enough people who take interest of some sort in such convocations that television networks find it profitable to televise them.

I certainly don't begrudge the entertainment industry and the conferees the notoriety and source of revenue they've secured for themselves. What I find odd is that ceremonies whereat industry associations grant achievement awards to individuals whose works have gravitas vastly greater that and more enduring than does anything entertainers does not attract a somewhat comparable measure of interest among the general population.

For example, the American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics conferred a host of awards to individuals whose work make possible a variety of medical cures and palliative treatments that prolong the lives of people around the world. The same is true of the American Medical Association, the American Bar Association, and myriad other professional organizations. Not even the Nobel Prize awards ceremony is televised. Every unit of the federal government bestows honoraria upon deserving public servants and professionals, and despite their tax dollars having funded those individuals' outstanding works, the American public seemingly has little or no interest in knowing about what they've accomplished and why it's important.

Why it's important. That is an aspect of entertainment awards that pales in comparison to that aspect's presence as go the outstanding findings and triumphs of science, mathematics, engineering, business and economics, government, legal and other professionals. Yes, American entertainment productions help shape American culture and serve in part to export it; however, culture is ephemeral. The culture promulgated in the movies and television shows of, the fifties was not at all the culture of the nineties or the 21st century, nor will it ever again be. In contrast, the impact of scientific discoveries endure well past their conception and implementation. Most importantly, however, the public's is genuinely enriched by knowing about the superlative accomplishments in the noted non-entertainment professions.

While the Hollywood Foreign Press or members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, or the members of Academy of Television Arts and Sciences, etc.may think a given performer or production was superlative, the fact of the matter is that I don't care what they think. I either enjoyed the work or the actor's performance or I didn't, and what those folks have to say about it isn't going to change that. On the other hand, Dr. Heller Brown’s work that led to the discoveries that "muscarinic GPCRs inhibit adenylate cyclase, GPCRs that stimulate phospholipase C and CaM kinase II regulate cardiac hypertrophy and heart failure, and GPCRs that activate RhoA contribute to neuroinflammation and aberrant cancer cell proliferation," though I have no idea of what that means, may one day save my life or that of someone I love. That means a hell of a lot more to me than does anything in a move.

Forum List

Back