Atlanta Fire Chief Fired for Writing Christian Book

Best policy is to not bring religion to work

Cochran said it was not his intent to be “hurtful to anyone” when expressing his religious views in his book, which he acknowledged passing out to some members of the fire department

Reed Atlanta fire chief terminated following book controversy www.ajc.com
LGBT complained about the published book and fought to get him fired. That's how all this started.

It sounds like employees were the ones doing the complaining at the beginning.

The mayor’s office opened an investigation into Cochran’s conduct after employees shared concerns over the book’s contents, city spokeswoman Anne Torres said in November. At the time, Torres said “there are a number of passages in the book that directly conflict with the city’s nondiscrimination policies.”

Atlanta 8217 s fire chief fired following controversy over his religious book - The Washington Post

He violated the employment policy. There doesn't need to be any offended parties.

I'll attend your "sensitivity class" when you attend my church. Fair?

I don't care what you do. Freedom of speech doesn't necessarily mean you will have no consequences with employment.

Texas teacher fired after Ferguson tweets - CNN.com

This teacher learned her lesson the hard way.
So does that mean you can't prove your racist assertions and now you're sidetracking?

I don't need to prove anything.
Yes you do. Your accusation, your burden of proof. No prove it, damn you!

LOL.
You claimed he discriminated against gays. The onus of proof is on you.

Cochran said it was not his intent to be “hurtful to anyone” when expressing his religious views in his book, which he acknowledged passing out to some members of the fire department

LGBT complained about the published book and fought to get him fired. That's how all this started.

The mayor’s office opened an investigation into Cochran’s conduct after employees shared concerns over the book’s contents, city spokeswoman Anne Torres said in November. At the time, Torres said “there are a number of passages in the book that directly conflict with the city’s nondiscrimination policies.”

Atlanta 8217 s fire chief fired following controversy over his religious book - The Washington Post

He violated the employment policy. There doesn't need to be any offended parties.
Quote the regulation he violated.

I should have said "according to the department" (see AJC article I posted above)

I should have said "according to the department" (see AJC article I posted above)
Results of the investigation have not been released....

From the Washington Post

Cochran wrote: “Uncleanness — whatever is opposite of purity; including sodomy, homosexuality, lesbianism, pederasty, bestiality, all other forms of sexual perversion.”

In another section, Cochran wrote that “naked men refuse to give in, so they pursue sexual fulfillment through multiple partners, with the opposite sex, the same sex and sex outside of marriage and many other vile, vulgar and inappropriate ways which defile their body-temple and dishonor God.”

The mayor’s administration learned about the book after employees complained about it last week.

Although the mayor’s decision to suspend Cochran seems to focus on Cochran’s comments about LGBT people, along with complaints about the chief distributing materials to employees,

I wonder how long I would keep my job if I were to hand out books to employees saying all Christian Righties are going to hell? LOL!

How about nobody loses their job for their private viewpoints and the practice of their faith?

That's the "liberalism" that defined this country to begin with.

Apparently the city has policies on discrimination, and the chief should have looked into that before passing out his hate material to employees.
Who did he discriminate against? He didn't announce that he wouldn't hire gay firemen. He didn't call the mayor a faggot or tear down the rainbow flag on Alex Wan's front lawn. He wrote a book voicing an opinion and handed out a few free copies.

You folks would be fine with Karl Marx handing out signed copies of Das Kapital in the fire station but the work of a Christian? Oh No!

Apparently they are still investigating his discriminatory remarks.

Among what city leaders said were troubling remarks in the fire chief’s book was a description of homosexuality as a “perversion” akin to bestiality and pederasty. Reed said in November that such writings were inconsistent with the city’s employment policies and opened an investigation into potential discrimination within the fire department. The findings of that investigation have not yet been released.

The Chief is entirely correct.

Homosexuality is a perversion - an abomination in the eyes of God, Man and Nature - an unclean, degenerate, filthy, twisted mindset and collection of sexual practices and lifestyles which has oftentimes manifested as the harbinger of the weakening and emasculation of formerly strong cultures and societies, when allowed openly in the light of day.

Gay people do not perform any sexual acts that are not done by straight couples. I understand its icky to you, and that you use God to justify your bigoted views, but if you take those to work and make them known, there's a good chance you will also be fired.

Have you seen this? Check this out:
Kelvin Cochran Atlanta Fire Chief Terminated Over Published Statements About Gay Lifestyle

Because the employees are the ones who filed the complaint. Try to keep up.

How many employees were offended?

My name is Carla, not Nancy Drew.

Mayor Kasim Reed’s spokeswoman Anne Torres said the administration didn’t know about “Who Told You That You Are Naked?” until employees came forward with complaints last week. In addition to suspending Cochran, Reed’s office has now opened an investigation to determine whether the chief’s actions violated the city policies or discriminated against employees.

Cochran has been ordered to undergo sensitivity training and has been barred from distributing copies of the book on city property after a number of firefighters said they received them in the workplace.

Reed said he was “deeply disturbed” by the sentiments Cochran expressed in his book and will “not tolerate discrimination of any kind” in his administration.

“I want to be clear that the material in Chief Cochran’s book is not representative of my personal beliefs, and is inconsistent with the administration’s work to make Atlanta a more welcoming city for all of her citizens — regardless of their sexual orientation, gender, race and religious beliefs,” Reed said in a statement on Monday.

Atlanta fire chief suspended over book controversy www.ajc.com

I don't care what you do. Freedom of speech doesn't necessarily mean you will have no consequences with employment.

She is a flat out racist and shouldn't be teaching kids with an attitude like that. The Chief wrote a book about religious views. His words and thoughts discriminate against no one unless and until it affects his decisions on the job.
He is not in his position to mold young minds. He is leading supposed adults.
If an adult is exposed to material he finds offensive, he is free to toss a book in a trash can, change the TV channel or walk away from a speaker.
I find myself doing that every year come State of the Union Speech time.

Our kids can't tune out or walk away from a teacher.

I understand your preference for the religious bigot, but it seems ludicrous to demand freedom of speech for one and not the other. What the Chief wrote is just as offensive to some, as what the teacher wrote.

Side note: This is why I always tell people to watch what you say on the internet. It can come back and bite you on the ass at the workplace!!! And that is why I created a facebook page, using an email address with no contacts, and certainly not my real name. :D

So does that mean you can't prove your racist assertions and now you're sidetracking?

LOL.

His discriminatory remarks in the book he passed out at work are the cause of an investigation, because some of the employees filed a complaint. The investigation is not complete, according to the article in the Washington Post.

LOL.

His discriminatory remarks in the book he passed out at work are the cause of an investigation, because some of the employees filed a complaint. The investigation is not complete, according to the article in the Washington Post.
What employees filed a complaint? The article only said several employees reported receiving a book copy. The claim that they're complaining is just your racist overlay.

Mayor Kasim Reed’s spokeswoman Anne Torres said the administration didn’t know about “Who Told You That You Are Naked?” until employees came forward with complaints last week. In addition to suspending Cochran, Reed’s office has now opened an investigation to determine whether the chief’s actions violated the city policies or discriminated against employees.

Cochran has been ordered to undergo sensitivity training and has been barred from distributing copies of the book on city property after a number of firefighters said they received them in the workplace.

Reed said he was “deeply disturbed” by the sentiments Cochran expressed in his book and will “not tolerate discrimination of any kind” in his administration.

“I want to be clear that the material in Chief Cochran’s book is not representative of my personal beliefs, and is inconsistent with the administration’s work to make Atlanta a more welcoming city for all of her citizens — regardless of their sexual orientation, gender, race and religious beliefs,” Reed said in a statement on Monday.

She is a flat out racist and shouldn't be teaching kids with an attitude like that. The Chief wrote a book about religious views. His words and thoughts discriminate against no one unless and until it affects his decisions on the job.
If an adult is exposed to material he finds offensive, he is free to toss a book in a trash can, change the TV channel or walk away from a speaker.

I understand your preference for the religious bigot, but it seems ludicrous to demand freedom of speech for one and not the other. What the Chief wrote is just as offensive to some, as what the teacher wrote.

Side note: This is why I always tell people to watch what you say on the internet. It can come back and bite you on the ass at the workplace!!! And that is why I created a facebook page, using an email address with no contacts, and certainly not my real name. :D
I do one better. My wife and I removed ourselves from all social media when one of our "friends" passed a picture of our children to a seedy pedophile site. I agree. Dangerous.

How about nobody loses their job for their private viewpoints and the practice of their faith?

That's the "liberalism" that defined this country to begin with.

Apparently the city has policies on discrimination, and the chief should have looked into that before passing out his hate material to employees.
Who did he discriminate against? He didn't announce that he wouldn't hire gay firemen. He didn't call the mayor a faggot or tear down the rainbow flag on Alex Wan's front lawn. He wrote a book voicing an opinion and handed out a few free copies.

You folks would be fine with Karl Marx handing out signed copies of Das Kapital in the fire station but the work of a Christian? Oh No!

Apparently they are still investigating his discriminatory remarks.

Among what city leaders said were troubling remarks in the fire chief’s book was a description of homosexuality as a “perversion” akin to bestiality and pederasty. Reed said in November that such writings were inconsistent with the city’s employment policies and opened an investigation into potential discrimination within the fire department. The findings of that investigation have not yet been released.

The Chief is entirely correct.

Homosexuality is a perversion - an abomination in the eyes of God, Man and Nature - an unclean, degenerate, filthy, twisted mindset and collection of sexual practices and lifestyles which has oftentimes manifested as the harbinger of the weakening and emasculation of formerly strong cultures and societies, when allowed openly in the light of day.

Gay people do not perform any sexual acts that are not done by straight couples. I understand its icky to you, and that you use God to justify your bigoted views, but if you take those to work and make them known, there's a good chance you will also be fired.
Straight people scissor?

Hateful Christophobic bigot.

Kelvin Cochran Atlanta Fire Chief Terminated Over Published Statements About Gay Lifestyle
In another article linked here, Cochran says he submitted his manuscript as requested.

The mayor

In another article linked here, Cochran says he submitted his manuscript as requested.

Ya, and the mayor discusses that in the video but he outlines why he was dismissed and the policies.

Offensive subject matter is simply offensive. It is protected by the First Amendment no matter how offensive it may be up to the point of libel or treason.
Cochran is a fire chief, leading supposed adults. His religious views are irrelevant to his leadership role unless you can show me that he required his firefighters to read and adhere to his writings. He did not force his views on children in a setting where they were compelled to be present.

Offensive subject matter is simply offensive. It is protected by the First Amendment no matter how offensive it may be up to the point of libel or treason.
Cochran is a fire chief, leading supposed adults. His religious views are irrelevant to his leadership role unless you can show me that he required his firefighters to read and adhere to his writings. He did not force his views on children in a setting where they were compelled to be present.

It didn't have anything to do with his religion.

Forum List

Back