Atheism Is Not A Religion!!!

Militant athiests in the future won't be so bad when religions stop saying non believers burn for eternity.

How optimistic of you. Very naive but we can't fault you for your optimism. I noticed something about some atheists. You have the tendency to ignore some basic facts about the nature of this world and in particular you ignore the basic facts about human nature. We are always going to have conflict. We will have conflict even if religion were to disappear tomorrow. It is in our nature to conflict with not only other human beings but with the natural world. To deny this very basic truth is to deny reality. We live in a hostile and violent world and we ourselves are hostile and violent by nature. Those are the facts of life.
I noticed something about religious zealots: they tend to be self-loathing and incapable of envisioning a world without trembling in fear before angry gawds. Your comments are, naturally, reflective of those basic tenets of christianity: mankind is elementally base and evil because of original sin.

It's truly a sickness to accept such a worldview.

I would never raise a child by Instilling in him or her the presumption that they are evil or base or inherently sinful. That's psychologically and emotionally abusive. To promote such abuse speaks volumes about the fear, self-hate and hostility of the abuser.

Such abuse is a prescription for a maladjusted personality.

Wow. And you claim religious people are trying to deny reality. I am just stating the facts.
What kind of world do you think we live in? A world of unicorns and rainbows where good always triumphs over evil and everyone gets a happily ever after? I am sorry but we do not live in that world. We live in this world and in this world just about every living creature nourishes itself by metabolizing the death of other living creatures. In order to live in our world you have to kill and there are no ifs, ands or buts about it. Simple biology tells us that we are all basically animals and that we are driven by the same instincts and desires has any other animal. And like our closet evolutionary cousin the chimpanzee we are inherently tribal and violent primates who enforced hierarchical control by savage violence. This isn't something new, we have always been this ways and our biology isn't going to change anytime soon.

And as for your little myths of scientism and moral progress. It's just not going to happen. There is never going to be a scientific utopia where technology solves all our problems. Our nature will just not allow it. Every time human beings attempt to build a utopia the first thing they do is demonize others who they think are impeding their fantasy world and therefore make things worse by creating more conflict and the cycle of violence just keeps rolling on and on and on all because their are people who someone got it in their head that they can fix this. It was are attempt to control and fix nature to suit us that got us into this mess in the first place and impeding catastrophic consequence loom over us with are meddling with nature. Now we are facing a mass extinction event dues to our abusing the planet. If that reality frightens you then too bad. All your wishful thinking and sci-fi fantasy will do nothing to fix or prevent it. So you might as well accept it and come to terms with it. Nothing last forever in this world, all things are impermanent and that includes the human race.
Everytime science flourished in history religious rulers squashed it because knowledge is power.

But in a lot of ways I agree with you. You make me think. If we were all liberal pussies the isis would easily take us over. America is made up of assholes pussies and dicks. The way it should be.

How optimistic of you. Very naive but we can't fault you for your optimism. I noticed something about some atheists. You have the tendency to ignore some basic facts about the nature of this world and in particular you ignore the basic facts about human nature. We are always going to have conflict. We will have conflict even if religion were to disappear tomorrow. It is in our nature to conflict with not only other human beings but with the natural world. To deny this very basic truth is to deny reality. We live in a hostile and violent world and we ourselves are hostile and violent by nature. Those are the facts of life.
I noticed something about religious zealots: they tend to be self-loathing and incapable of envisioning a world without trembling in fear before angry gawds. Your comments are, naturally, reflective of those basic tenets of christianity: mankind is elementally base and evil because of original sin.

I would never raise a child by Instilling in him or her the presumption that they are evil or base or inherently sinful. That's psychologically and emotionally abusive. To promote such abuse speaks volumes about the fear, self-hate and hostility of the abuser.

Wow. And you claim religious people are trying to deny reality. I am just stating the facts.
What kind of world do you think we live in? A world of unicorns and rainbows where good always triumphs over evil and everyone gets a happily ever after? I am sorry but we do not live in that world. We live in this world and in this world just about every living creature nourishes itself by metabolizing the death of other living creatures. In order to live in our world you have to kill and there are no ifs, ands or buts about it. Simple biology tells us that we are all basically animals and that we are driven by the same instincts and desires has any other animal. And like our closet evolutionary cousin the chimpanzee we are inherently tribal and violent primates who enforced hierarchical control by savage violence. This isn't something new, we have always been this ways and our biology isn't going to change anytime soon.

And as for your little myths of scientism and moral progress. It's just not going to happen. There is never going to be a scientific utopia where technology solves all our problems. Our nature will just not allow it. Every time human beings attempt to build a utopia the first thing they do is demonize others who they think are impeding their fantasy world and therefore make things worse by creating more conflict and the cycle of violence just keeps rolling on and on and on all because their are people who someone got it in their head that they can fix this. It was are attempt to control and fix nature to suit us that got us into this mess in the first place and impeding catastrophic consequence loom over us with are meddling with nature. Now we are facing a mass extinction event dues to our abusing the planet. If that reality frightens you then too bad. All your wishful thinking and sci-fi fantasy will do nothing to fix or prevent it. So you might as well accept it and come to terms with it. Nothing last forever in this world, all things are impermanent and that includes the human race.
As I noted earlier, you're suffering from religiously inspired self-hate. It's a legacy of the myth of original sin wherein fundie christians believe they carry the curse imparted to A&E (not the cable station). Free yourself from that burden.

how is it self hate to recognize human nature for what it is and your capacity to do evil?

human beings are capable of great evil. Whether their our corruption, apathy, or willful choice.

that's human nature. You cannot avoid it or deny it

I think atheists do an awful lot to deny it. It is one of the reasons they scapegoat religion and demonize believers. They need someone to blame for this mess and they do not want to accept that it is our very nature that has cause calamity because they would have to admit that their own nature is subject to the same things as everyone else.

Gee whiz. What a shame that all those horrible atheists are blaming you lovely religious folks for "all this mess". Although, "all this mess" involves you lovely religious folks slaughtering each other across the globe.

Can't you email the jeebus and have him move up the timetable for the christo-apocalypse? Isn't it about time for another of your gawds humanity wiping episodes?

Militant athiests in the future won't be so bad when religions stop saying non believers burn for eternity.

As I noted earlier, you're suffering from religiously inspired self-hate. It's a legacy of the myth of original sin wherein fundie christians believe they carry the curse imparted to A&E (not the cable station). Free yourself from that burden.
Curse? Who said our animal nature is a curse? It is just the way we are.
Yes. No different than any other animal. That's another atheism 101 for your list. We should start a church. Who would be our pope? Neal degrass Tyson?

improved Tenets of Atheism

1. The universe is a great, uncaused random accident. No metaphysical will or instruction preceeded the universe which could have caused it. No 'purpose' exists outside of it. The Big Bang theory assumes a cause and was first proposed by a priest, which is unpalatable. Consequently atheism is moving past that theory to the Universal wave function theory among others. These theories postulate an uncaused universe.

2. Rejection of the Christian concept of free will, and free will as a suitable explanation for the existence of evil.
A developing concept among atheists is that human behavior is ultimately controlled by genes, by brain neurochemistry, and by interactions with the environment. In its most extreme form, determinism completely denies the existence of human free will. There is quite a bit of difference of opinion here among atheists.

3. Salvation through technology, leading toward transhumanism. In the absence of Providence, man must assume the role of Creator and tweak his own biology rather than leave the future to random possibilities.

4. The belief that the primary cause of war is theistic religion. Conflict theory that proposes genetic, economic or political root causes of war are completely ignored among the most ardent atheists.

5. The belief or propensity to postulate that the history of science is a simple story of rationality prevailing over theism. Like oil and water, they do not mix. For example, the Church was the root cause of the Dark Ages and not the collapse of the Roman Empire.

6. The atheist believes that love is merely an adapted chemical reaction in the brain. Any further meaning is something that an atheist may choose to humor himself with.

7. For utilitarian reasons of quality of life, the atheist invents moral rules by which a community should be governed, subjectively justifying that set of morals as well as humanly possible. Sometimes, the atheist postulates that morality is genetically inherited.

The list is not exhaustive and needs further work. But, in a nutshell, that's my articulation of atheist religion.

I'm not going by those. I'm sorry, you'll have to re-do the list.

how is it self hate to recognize human nature for what it is and your capacity to do evil?

human beings are capable of great evil. Whether their our corruption, apathy, or willful choice.

I think atheists do an awful lot to deny it. It is one of the reasons they scapegoat religion and demonize believers. They need someone to blame for this mess and they do not want to accept that it is our very nature that has cause calamity because they would have to admit that their own nature is subject to the same things as everyone else.

Gee whiz. What a shame that all those horrible atheists are blaming you lovely religious folks for "all this mess". Although, "all this mess" involves you lovely religious folks slaughtering each other across the globe.

Can't you email the jeebus and have him move up the timetable for the christo-apocalypse? Isn't it about time for another of your gawds humanity wiping episodes?

God isn't going to wipe out humanity. He's going to stop you from doing it

You should read your bibles.

I am neither a Christian or a Jew so I don't view them as an authority for me. Do you actually believe that every religious person in the world is a Christian? Because you really do seem that ignorant by your remarks in this forum

Our current situation is not a result of the conflicts that were and are being fought. Those conflicts were inevitable because certain situations developed that put an even greater emphasis on the production of goods and consumption of resources which led to even greater competition, conflict and exploitation. Our current problems happened because humanity industrialized too fast for it's own good. And that industrialization was a product of the scientific and technological revolutions of the 17th and 18th century. If anything is to blame for our current situation it is scientific and technological "progress". And yet you people are somehow the causes of our troubles is going to solve our trouble. Not very rational or logical to say the least.

I have nothing regarding humanity wiping on my calendar.

Our current situation is not a result of the conflicts that were and are being fought. Those conflicts were inevitable because certain situations developed that put an even greater emphasis on the production of goods and consumption of resources which led to even greater competition, conflict and exploitation. Our current problems happened because humanity industrialized too fast for it's own good. And that industrialization was a product of the scientific and technological revolutions of the 17th and 18th century. If anything is to blame for our current situation it is scientific and technological "progress". And yet you people are somehow the causes of our troubles is going to solve our trouble. Not very rational or logical to say the least.
Yes. The attainment of knowledge is a horrible thing.

I am neither a Christian or a Jew so I don't view them as an authority for me. Do you actually believe that every religious person in the world is a Christian? Because you really do seem that ignorant by your remarks in this forum
I just find your extremist positions to be in line with the worst elements of fundamentalist christianity.

I just find your extremist positions to be in line with the worst elements of fundamentalist christianity.
You don't even really know what my positions are except were I told you that we are animals driven by instinct and hunger just like any other animal

Sorry its hard to keep track of you all. Trust me we mean all you theists when we attack christians.

There's another athiest tenant. We dont care what god you are referring to. Cherry picker.

You don't even really know what my positions are except were I told you that we are animals driven by instinct and hunger just like any other animal
Do you believe in god? That's all we need to know.

When it is done without wisdom it certainly can be. A child who is taught how to build bombs could be a very dangerous person.

When it is done without wisdom it certainly can be. A child who is taught how to build bombs could be a very dangerous person.
One reason or example of why believing in gods is bad is that people who believe such things can be convinced to kill for their god.

I have nothing regarding humanity wiping on my calendar.
Well most climate and environmental scientists do have something about mass extinction on their calenders.

Sorry its hard to keep track of you all. Trust me we mean all you theists when we attack christians.

There's another athiest tenant. We dont care what god you are referring to. Cherry picker.
It really is just you intellectual laziness the belies nothing more your willful ignorance of the subject of religion. You know what people usually think of a person who goes around pretending he is an expert on a subject he has no knowledge of and then goes around criticizing it? People usually think that person is an asshole.

It really is just you intellectual laziness the belies nothing more your willful ignorance of the subject of religion. You know what people usually think of a person who goes around pretending he is an expert on a subject he has no knowledge of and then goes around criticizing it? People usually think that person is an asshole.

Would you like for me to hold up a mirror?

Would you like for me to hold up a mirror?
Go ahead but you may not like what you see when you find yourself staring at the intellectually vacuous person that is a true reflection of who you really are. You know nothing about religion and the diversity of religious experience yet you continue and continue to talk about it like you are an expert. And your criticism is just as shallow. Failing because your own lack of character and intellectual fortitude to except that the problems of humanity lie completely within the problem of human nature you in your laziness and cowardice choose instead to create a scapegoat. A scapegoat called "religion" but is unlike any religion known to humanity because it is product of your own fevered and fanatical imagination. Just as Klu Klux Klan blamed all that was wrong in the world on former black slaves and Northern carpetbaggers, so you to choose to scapegoat "religion" because it is an easy target in your mind and you just don't have the will or fortitude to see the complexity that lies behind humanities problems so you instead choose to be as simple minded as the fundamentalist and racist bigots that you fault. But the truth is you are just like them. So please hold up your mirror and take a good look in it because all you are going to see is the reflection of a two-faced bigoted hypocrite. And being the bigot you are, you do nothing but spread more hatred and more aggression and further the problems that you unjustly lay at the feet of some abstraction you call "religion".

sealy, I'm making a list of common atheist postulations. The first atheist postulation is this; 1. the universe is uncaused.

You said,
The honest answer is we dont know. You claim to know, which is why science is discovering the real answers not theists. Theists claim to already know.

I don't know anything for sure, just for the record, but forget about me. We're talking about atheism. Do you say you don't know because you are agnostic rather than atheist? If so, would you agree that an atheist would say we live in an accidental universe?
Why does it have to be accidental?
because caused and accidental are the only two options and you deny caused.......
What caused the big bang? I might guess a spark and you think its a bearded man in a robe.
see?....an accident or a cause.....
What caused god? Same thing caused the big bang.
if there is no beginning one needs no cause......

Forum List

Back