Ask G.T. anything re: Diet and Exercise.

You peeps do know if you eat healthy (1,500-2,000 Calories a day depending on size) and exercise you can eat whatever you want.

That doesn't mean a steady diet of mashed potatoes and gravy every day, but you can eat your comfort foods in moderation, (keeping at that calories level-make sure you have a lot of fruits, veggies, lean protein and LOTS of water of course).

Then, with exercise you WILL lose weight!

This is true but I don't teach it to those trying to lose a good amount for two reasons:

#1. It can be discouraging to them if the weight doesn't come off at a quicker rate, and they're more apt to quit.

#2. In my opinion, eating "bad things," even in moderation isn't all that great for losing a good amount but more-so for sustaining a certain weight. (especially for those with slow metabolism, which is most people trying to lose weight). So at first I teach the "cut," which is not an unhealthy diet and not "dramatically" fast weight-loss which is bad for you, but it doesn't employ junk-food-in-moderation theory.

After they are a little bit BEYOND their goal, which is usually a person's homeostasis, I cycle them back onto the "junk-in-moderation" thing which enables them to keep the weight off without feeling deprived.

I agree with the "everything in moderation" theory, I just employ it at a different time. :)

You still sound like that Jack asshole.

The best diet, eat slowly, don't shovel. Eat what healthy flavors you crave, but nothing with a "healthy" or "something free" label, those are pure poison. Walk at least 20 miles a week, you don't need high impact activities or stressful ones either. Sleep when you are tired. You will be your optimal health and nothing else you do will improve your health. Even if you weigh 300 pounds at 5 feet ... doesn't matter. Even if you look like a twig (like me) ... it doesn't matter. Whether you have a six pack or not ... doesn't matter. The biggest and most important thing you can do to be healthy is to not worry about it, don't stress out about anything. Come up with something you can mantra chant, something simple, that will put you at ease for anything, practice it until you live it. The one thing that causes people the health problems is ... anxiety. That's it, pretty simple really ... just learn to relax.

Jack Lelanne ... he thinks everyone should have his shape and weight ... the odd thing, he's been "obese" according to BMI his whole life ...

Never heard of him.

And, I don't want everyone with my build. I'm a competitor in spirit, I wanna be better.

I just want to help people, Kitten. How come? Well, to be blunt, I was an abused kid and somehow psychologically it gives me comfort to help, call me :cuckoo:

Those are my motives, that is my intention. I'm confident enough to not really give a flying shit what other people feel are my motivations, though.

Jack Lelanne ... he thinks everyone should have his shape and weight ... the odd thing, he's been "obese" according to BMI his whole life ...

Never heard of him.

And, I don't want everyone with my build. I'm a competitor in spirit, I wanna be better.

I just want to help people, Kitten. How come? Well, to be blunt, I was an abused kid and somehow psychologically it gives me comfort to help, call me :cuckoo:

Those are my motives, that is my intention. I'm confident enough to not really give a flying shit what other people feel are my motivations, though.

Okay, my bad on the assumptions. But be careful, giving advice without knowing the person can increase their risk of problems. Something that most people forget. For instance, I can't do more activity than I do, which isn't much really, or I would starve due to the fact that the nutrients in foods these days are being replaced with empty fillers to make them healthier ... so sometimes the best way to help is not to assume ... as I did.

Okay, my bad on the assumptions. But be careful, giving advice without knowing the person can increase their risk of problems. Something that most people forget. For instance, I can't do more activity than I do, which isn't much really, or I would starve due to the fact that the nutrients in foods these days are being replaced with empty fillers to make them healthier ... so sometimes the best way to help is not to assume ... as I did.

Yea, I take this in mind and it's great advice. That's why I always ask them a lot about themselves such as age, ability, metabolism (fast? slow? etc.); things of that nature.

You can find a few posts ago to Sarah, where I said that mostly it's listening to your own body and not some other quack who pretends to know, in a magazine or what have you. He never met you. He doesn't know your build, age, metabolism, etc. Some say cardio 20 mins a day, some say 60. They're fucking guessing, and it pisses me off soemtimes. :razz:

Exercise programs using a recumbent bicycle machine, perhaps coupled with small handweights ... go.

-Goals?(build, tone, etc.)
-Free time?

-focus areas?

How's your diet?

-Free time?

-focus areas?

How's your diet?

I'm generally in decent shape for not having exercised regularly. Not looking to become a bodybuilder or lose weight, just tone what I've got.

So far I've found at least an hour a day to spend on the bike but it is sometimes split in the AM and the PM. If I haven't done much physical activity during the bulk of the day, I may do 30 min. in the AM and then another 45 min. to an hour in the PM.

The movement required by the recumbent bike obviously targets legs, which is good, but I've noticed it works on abs/midsection as well, which is always a bonus. I like that there is no lower back ache/soreness, even if I'm on it for 45 min. or more - definite plus.

Hmmm ... diet is ok. Lots of whole grains, average fruits and veggies, perhaps more red meat than might theoretically be recommended. Lots of water. And I've switched to the healthier dark chocolate, rather than milk chocolate. :eusa_whistle:

how long does it take for a male to double his strength? I mean on average.

Double? Not sure that I've ever encountered that.

For instance, when my max bench was 320; I didn't start only by being able to max 160 but my "natural" max was around 225 at the time.

This question is too broad because there's too many factors involved for an accurate answer. Heavy supplementing>? Medium? No supplements? Frame size? Dedication? Metabolism? etc.

Too broad brother.

-Free time?

-focus areas?

How's your diet?

I'm generally in decent shape for not having exercised regularly. Not looking to become a bodybuilder or lose weight, just tone what I've got.

So far I've found at least an hour a day to spend on the bike but it is sometimes split in the AM and the PM. If I haven't done much physical activity during the bulk of the day, I may do 30 min. in the AM and then another 45 min. to an hour in the PM.

The movement required by the recumbent bike obviously targets legs, which is good, but I've noticed it works on abs/midsection as well, which is always a bonus. I like that there is no lower back ache/soreness, even if I'm on it for 45 min. or more - definite plus.

Hmmm ... diet is ok. Lots of whole grains, average fruits and veggies, perhaps more red meat than might theoretically be recommended. Lots of water. And I've switched to the healthier dark chocolate, rather than milk chocolate. :eusa_whistle:

Alright this is going to take me some time, I will have a program for you by later today.

how long does it take for a male to double his strength? I mean on average.

Double? Not sure that I've ever encountered that.

For instance, when my max bench was 320; I didn't start only by being able to max 160 but my "natural" max was around 225 at the time.

This question is too broad because there's too many factors involved for an accurate answer. Heavy supplementing>? Medium? No supplements? Frame size? Dedication? Metabolism? etc.

Too broad brother.

ok, maybe this will help? no supplements, large frame, very dedicated (three days per week) average metab.

ok, maybe this will help? no supplements, large frame, very dedicated (three days per week) average metab.

I'd say you need 4 days minimum, and 5 if you're really dedicated. 3 out of seven is pretty low-balling, especially since you want to double in strength.

I think if you're really friggin weak right now, it will take roughly 4 months.

If you're decent strength already, more like 7-8 months. (to double in strength).

Eve,

One last question. Is the bike the only cardio that you wish to do? If not, what else are you game for>?

I'd say you need 4 days minimum, and 5 if you're really dedicated. 3 out of seven is pretty low-balling, especially since you want to double in strength.

I think if you're really friggin weak right now, it will take roughly 4 months.

If you're decent strength already, more like 7-8 months. (to double in strength).

nice. encouraging.

Forum List

Back