Ask G.T. anything re: Diet and Exercise.

I don't have a complex

I just don't believe that there are any questions about diet and exercise that haven't already been asked and answered. So how would your answers be any different?

No, actually you seem to.

Of course there's probably not much that hasn't been asked or answered, nobody's even denying that, but sometimes it takes a catalyst like asking the question as you peruse a political message board. People are inherently lazy and/or passive, but sometimes only require small-signs to pick themselves up and start doing something. It's nice for people to have their information condensed, and also feel as though someone has paid attention to their situation, in particular.

Again, if this is all not for you, why post? Why such angst against the offer of help, when it doesn't even imply YOU, personally, NEED help? That suggests some anger/angst/superiority complex. Lay off.

Understood. It is a nice gesture.

And perhaps when we know you better, and your posts have shown you to be somebody with expertise in those areas of health and fitness you'll be the guy people pay attention to when those topic come up.

Right now you're just some text on the net, know what I mean?

Of course, and what better thread to show those posts for people to assess.

Does drinking coffee or anything with caffeine help or hinder weight loss? I get conflicting answers.

Caffeine is good in small doses and does boost metabolism. One cup a day, I'd suggest. The crux of caffeine is that it messes with your heart rate, and in my opinion the heart is not something that should often be fucked with.

Coffee is also an anti-oxidant, which is a good boost to the immune system, but it's got a dehydrating component so drink extra water. Dehydration can cause all kinds of bad stuff, namely kidney stones which suck a donkey wanker.

Does drinking coffee or anything with caffeine help or hinder weight loss? I get conflicting answers.

Caffeine is good in small doses and does boost metabolism. One cup a day, I'd suggest. The crux of caffeine is that it messes with your heart rate, and in my opinion the heart is not something that should often be fucked with.

Coffee is also an anti-oxidant, which is a good boost to the immune system, but it's got a dehydrating component so drink extra water. Dehydration can cause all kinds of bad stuff, namely kidney stones which suck a donkey wanker.

Thanks!

I don't have a complex

I just don't believe that there are any questions about diet and exercise that haven't already been asked and answered. So how would your answers be any different?

No, actually you seem to.

Of course there's probably not much that hasn't been asked or answered, nobody's even denying that, but sometimes it takes a catalyst like asking the question as you peruse a political message board. People are inherently lazy and/or passive, but sometimes only require small-signs to pick themselves up and start doing something. It's nice for people to have their information condensed, and also feel as though someone has paid attention to their situation, in particular.

Again, if this is all not for you, why post? Why such angst against the offer of help, when it doesn't even imply YOU, personally, NEED help? That suggests some anger/angst/superiority complex. Lay off.

So you're a psychologist as well as a diet and exercise guru????

well excuse me.

you may be right, i have a problem with people who pretend to be experts on something as basic as diet and exercise.

tell me can i drop 4 inches off my waist in a week by not exercising and eating whatever i want. i saw an infomercial that said i can.

Okay GT here goes... female, fifty plus would be nice to lose ten to fifteen pounds of excess fat over the next four months. Not normally into junk food. Never eat out. Actually don't eat a whole lot just don't get much exercise...hurt a few years ago so a lot of activities are extremely painful.

Needs more info. What does dinner normally look like, and how late? Is there a usual evening snack, if so what is it?

What is the extent of your pain? (what sort of things can't you do).

So you're a psychologist as well as a diet and exercise guru????

well excuse me.

you may be right, i have a problem with people who pretend to be experts on something as basic as diet and exercise.

tell me can i drop 4 inches off my waist in a week by not exercising and eating whatever i want. i saw an infomercial that said i can.

Right, so because you're proficient in the area, everyone must be>? Get out much? There are literally millions who don't have the first clue. Have YOU considered helping someone? Give it a shot.

I'm not pretend, BTW.

And what do you know, you were wrong already b/c I've got two questions for advise; thus, you're wrong that people don't seek the help. Let bygons be bygons man. Really.

N/P. There's also these pills you can grab called green-tea extract. They're less caffeine yet more of the anti-oxidant component. It will give you a smaller boost of metabolism, but a boost nontheless, and also increase your vitality. Pretty inexpensive, too.

Okay GT here goes... female, fifty plus would be nice to lose ten to fifteen pounds of excess fat over the next four months. Not normally into junk food. Never eat out. Actually don't eat a whole lot just don't get much exercise...hurt a few years ago so a lot of activities are extremely painful.

Needs more info. What does dinner normally look like, and how late? Is there a usual evening snack, if so what is it?

What is the extent of your pain? (what sort of things can't you do).

Dinner;

one cheese enchilada or half an eight ounce steak, couple green beans, three four spoonfuls of cottage cheese... if I snack at night after 8 it is normally nuts and dried fruit or a small cup of fruit.

I can no longer walk very far. I am exhausted after a walk to the mail box. I can swim for about fifteen minutes then it is a rest for about an hour or so. Anything is a long rest after. It takes over the counter pain pills to get through a day of up and down. I slept most of the time for months after I got hurt, could not stay awake, it was a chemical poisoning. I tried doing some of my commercial artwork and my arms and legs hurt so bad Rod propped my forearms with pillows to try to give some relief. I could not type more than a paragraph or two for most of the first year after without being in extreme pain. It is all improved to the point I can stay up for a couple of hours then it is rest time and I sleep for a little bit.

Dinner;

one cheese enchilada or half an eight ounce steak, couple green beans, three four spoonfuls of cottage cheese... if I snack at night after 8 it is normally nuts and dried fruit or a small cup of fruit.

I can no longer walk very far. I am exhausted after a walk to the mail box. I can swim for about fifteen minutes then it is a rest for about an hour or so. Anything is a long rest after. It takes over the counter pain pills to get through a day of up and down. I slept most of the time for months after I got hurt, could not stay awake, it was a chemical poisoning. I tried doing some of my commercial artwork and my arms and legs hurt so bad Rod propped my forearms with pillows to try to give some relief. I could not type more than a paragraph or two for most of the first year after without being in extreme pain. It is all improved to the point I can stay up for a couple of hours then it is rest time and I sleep for a little bit.

Hmm,

See your portion sizes and food-choices seem decent. You could tighten some stuff up like eat your fruit earlier in the day, but I don't know that that's making much difference. The reason for that is that you'd like your body's sugars burnt-off as energy throughout the day so that the excess doesn't get stored as fat molecules while you sleep. But dried fruit is not too extreme in that regard.

Have you had your thyroid checked? If it's a bit underactive you wouldn't metabolize food as quickly and your energy levels would drop some. I'd definitely have that checked.

I know you want to lose, but are you currently gaining or simply sustaining? This is going to be difficult if your thyroid is fine, your diet seems decent, and you can't do much by-way of activity. I would suggest a program for you that starts really "easy" on you, and see if that doesn't also boost your energy, but I'll wait for your next response.

The swimming is good, and 4OZ. of steak isn't that bad although red-meat can be fatty. I'd wait for your next response before I suggested a limited exercise program and some sort of metabolism booster.

Dinner;

Hmm,

See your portion sizes and food-choices seem decent. You could tighten some stuff up like eat your fruit earlier in the day, but I don't know that that's making much difference. The reason for that is that you'd like your body's sugars burnt-off as energy throughout the day so that the excess doesn't get stored as fat molecules while you sleep. But dried fruit is not too extreme in that regard.

Have you had your thyroid checked? If it's a bit underactive you wouldn't metabolize food as quickly and your energy levels would drop some. I'd definitely have that checked.

I know you want to lose, but are you currently gaining or simply sustaining? This is going to be difficult if your thyroid is fine, your diet seems decent, and you can't do much by-way of activity. I would suggest a program for you that starts really "easy" on you, and see if that doesn't also boost your energy, but I'll wait for your next response.

The swimming is good, and 4OZ. of steak isn't that bad although red-meat can be fatty. I'd wait for your next response before I suggested a limited exercise program and some sort of metabolism booster.
Thyroid is in check. Not gaining actually losing a pound every few months. Gained the extra weight after a surgery four years ago and a lot of stressful shit going on.

Still have fairly decent muscle mass yet don't wanna see that turn into fat. Been trying to figure out things I can eat that will give enough energy without being totally exhausted or wiped out at every turn. Take calcium, b and a multi vitamin.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Thyroid is in check. Not gaining actually losing a pound every few months. Gained the extra weight after a surgery four years ago and a lot of stressful shit going on.

Still have fairly decent muscle mass yet don't wanna see that turn into fat. Been trying to figure out things I can eat that will give enough energy without being totally exhausted or wiped out at every turn. Take calcium, b and a multi vitamin.

L-Glutamine would be a good help for starters. It helps with your muscle recovery and so you won't be as burnt out from exercise all the time. I'd take half a serving in the middle of your workout, and the other half directly after. Any GNC employee should be able to look at you and determine your proper dosage, but it should also say-so on the bottle. It's in-expensive, too.

I've never really dealt with someone who could barely walk without exhaustion. The first thing that comes to my mind is to upgrade your B-Vitamin to a "vitamin B-Complex" which has higher dosages of B's and includes all of the B's. Also,add in a green-tea extract supplement.

Next, I'd add either brown-rice, or wheat pasta to your lunch. (keep dinner roughly the same.

Drink lots of water throughout the day, and an 8oz. cup of (black) coffee in the morning.

These things should all help with your energy levels; in addition to a decrease in your red-meats. These take longer to digest and can make you feel lethargic, decrease your energy levels.

in-terms of exercise, it's always a good idea to do interval training when you're out to increase your stamina. that's short bursts of high-intensity (walking/running/swimming, etc. (choose your preference); followed by a really low-intensity thereafter. what this looks like is: walk hard and fast for 15-20 seconds, walk exaggeratedly slow for 15-20 seconds, repeat. It's hard for me to tell how long you can repeat this for, because as you mentioned you're in-pain. but so-long as you're doing a sufficient amount, coupled with an increase in energy-boosting foods/supplements in your diet, you should be able to build upon the walk to the mail-box and get yourself into some-more legitimate exercises, and the weight will come off even faster for you.

sound good so far?

L-Glutamine would be a good help for starters. It helps with your muscle recovery and so you won't be as burnt out from exercise all the time. I'd take half a serving in the middle of your workout, and the other half directly after. Any GNC employee should be able to look at you and determine your proper dosage, but it should also say-so on the bottle. It's in-expensive, too.

I've never really dealt with someone who could barely walk without exhaustion. The first thing that comes to my mind is to upgrade your B-Vitamin to a "vitamin B-Complex" which has higher dosages of B's and includes all of the B's. Also,add in a green-tea extract supplement.

Next, I'd add either brown-rice, or wheat pasta to your lunch. (keep dinner roughly the same.

Drink lots of water throughout the day, and an 8oz. cup of (black) coffee in the morning.

These things should all help with your energy levels; in addition to a decrease in your red-meats. These take longer to digest and can make you feel lethargic, decrease your energy levels.

in-terms of exercise, it's always a good idea to do interval training when you're out to increase your stamina. that's short bursts of high-intensity (walking/running/swimming, etc. (choose your preference); followed by a really low-intensity thereafter. what this looks like is: walk hard and fast for 15-20 seconds, walk exaggeratedly slow for 15-20 seconds, repeat. It's hard for me to tell how long you can repeat this for, because as you mentioned you're in-pain. but so-long as you're doing a sufficient amount, coupled with an increase in energy-boosting foods/supplements in your diet, you should be able to build upon the walk to the mail-box and get yourself into some-more legitimate exercises, and the weight will come off even faster for you.

sound good so far?
I'll do the GNC next trip to DM and let you know after how/if it helps. I have some green tea extract, I'll add that in the vitamin routine.... I know some years back I had heard E helped when exercising by keeping the oxygen level up in the muscle tissue while doing heavy exercise. I tried it and noticed a big difference..actually tested it several times to see if it helped....Muscles were not near as sore after next day if E was taken a few hours before exercising.

Let me know how you manage, and I wish you the best. :)

okay g...mind if i call you g...beats my first choice all to hell...i assure you....

this is a messageboard...what does that mean...o their are a bunch of people chatting instead of exercising.....somehow i would try to find the right choir to preach too....i think this may not be the right one...

and skull does have an attitude...we all do....that is what makes us unique.....

o and another thing....did you really use the term...sucking a donkey wanker and then ask me if it was real carpet or pubes.....now how serious do you expect me to take you?

you did see the report out today that vegans have bone loss....compared to meat eaters....

give it to me ...raw and wiggling

SOME Vegetarians have 5% more bone loss than you carnivores. I'll still take my chances.........

Now, for G.T.:

How often/how long do you recommend weight lifting vs. cardio for a woman who likes to be toned and fit?

when i was young echo...we did two hours a day....lower body one day...upper the next....for tone....do light weights with a lot of reps...for bulk...go heavy and hard....little secret i use to box

Forum List

Back