Ask G.T. anything re: Diet and Exercise.

Ask G.T. anything re: Diet and Exercise.

Hi G.T.,

I need to lose weight, but I like to eat junk food and I don't like to exercise.

What should I do?

- Can't See My Penis, Dubuque.

At first glance, I was going to reciprocate with a joke but then I realized, a lot of overweight people are happy with themselves and if I simply continued to let you view it jokingly, I'd be helping neither you n'or I.

The first answer I'd give to your question is "get over yourself." You don't need to "act on" everything you "like," because a life without sacrifice is a selfish and empty existence that will yield you multiple regrets in the end.

You don't strike me as the type to believe in an after-life, and you haven't killed yourself, and so I could assume you'd want to hold on for as long as possible, no?

I have so much more I can rant about but I have a busy busy work day.

EVE,

I see you girl. I'm going to get to this but I am so majorly busy right now it's going to be on a short delay and Yes, I do feel a slight hint of guilt as a result although I'm sure you'd pat my back and tell me don't worry about it. Such as life.

EVE,

I see you girl. I'm going to get to this but I am so majorly busy right now it's going to be on a short delay and Yes, I do feel a slight hint of guilt as a result although I'm sure you'd pat my back and tell me don't worry about it. Such as life.

*pat, pat, pat*

Not a problem, G.T. Work and family come first. It's all good, my friend. :cool:

Eve, Pasted from my word-pad :)

Ok,

Since you're only wanting a small nudge in difficulty, here goes:

For your 4 sets of push-ups: If you can get ten minimum per set the standard way, no more using your modified push-ups for lessened intensity. Standard only, no girly ones. Also, you're using your hand-weights backwards for "cutting" as opposed to "building." When you want to build, you increase weight for each consecutive set. So instead of starting with 2# and ending with 4, to tone and not build you should reverse that. Start with the 4, end with the 2.

And here's the "change" in your routine. Since you're looking for toning, I'm going to up-blast your cardio. Your "weight-training" part of the routine will now also be cardio.

So do your push-ups, stand right up for your side & front raises (4# to 2# when you're tired); from there, keep the weights in-hand and with no-rest do a set of lunges (if you don't know what a lunge is, either google it for a picture and you'll recognize it right away, or ask me to and I'll gladly do it); then after the lunges lay right down and do your sit-ups. Do every-other set regular sit-ups, and every-other set side sit-ups (for obleaks, and we'll hit lowers once you're ready for the "next level" again....but lunges will target them alright for now along with your legs, lower back and butt). Do 4 sets of these 4-exercises. No rest between the exercises, but you can rest a minute and a half in-between sets. At the end of 4 sets, if you feel a 5th would be beneficial (know your body); then do a 5th set.

For your running, and in the interest of keeping your workouts to an hour, I'm keeping that the same for now because it can always be challenging so-long as you're continuously working to improve your times. Plus, the weights-portion is now cardio-based (no rest between exercises should get your heart pounding pretty hard). So here it is pasted over again, just make sure you're working to improve your times:

Every-other day, do an interval training, and every other day a straight distance.

Interval training: Do a ten minute warm-up @ about 60%.
Then, for 15 minutes, do 100% max for a minute, then around 30% for a minute (on and off for the whole 15). Them a 5-minute cool-down.

On distance days, do 40-minutes at a standard pace, but each time try and get a farther distance within those 40-minutes.

DBAltlegLunges.JPG

LUNGES.

For your 4 sets of push-ups: If you can get ten minimum per set the standard way, no more using your modified push-ups for lessened intensity. Standard only, no girly ones.
I've been able to do about 5 regular ones :redface: and then 10 girly ones in each set. I'll work on that.

Also, you're using your hand-weights backwards for "cutting" as opposed to "building." When you want to build, you increase weight for each consecutive set. So instead of starting with 2# and ending with 4, to tone and not build you should reverse that. Start with the 4, end with the 2.

So do you suggest sticking with the 2# and 4# weights but switching the order I use them or would different weight be better? I've been doing 20 per set with the 2# weights and 10 for the last set with the 4# weights. Should I just figure out what I can handle with the 4#ers and stop the 2#ers since it's not a huge effort to do so many of those? (I guess you kinda answered that below but I'll leave this because we hadn't discussed how many reps I was able to do with the 2# weights.)

I expanded the lift exercise portion too - just a variety of ones that seem to be doing some good. And I can't complain about the fact that even though I had it bass-ackward for just toning, the results are pretty good. :D

And here's the "change" in your routine. Since you're looking for toning, I'm going to up-blast your cardio. Your "weight-training" part of the routine will now also be cardio.

So do your push-ups, stand right up for your side & front raises (4# to 2# when you're tired); from there, keep the weights in-hand and with no-rest do a set of lunges (if you don't know what a lunge is, either google it for a picture and you'll recognize it right away, or ask me to and I'll gladly do it); then after the lunges lay right down and do your sit-ups. Do every-other set regular sit-ups, and every-other set side sit-ups (for obleaks, and we'll hit lowers once you're ready for the "next level" again....but lunges will target them alright for now along with your legs, lower back and butt). Do 4 sets of these 4-exercises. No rest between the exercises, but you can rest a minute and a half in-between sets. At the end of 4 sets, if you feel a 5th would be beneficial (know your body); then do a 5th set.

Been doing crunches, as opposed to full sit-ups. Definitely targeting the appropriate areas tho.

For your running, and in the interest of keeping your workouts to an hour, I'm keeping that the same for now because it can always be challenging so-long as you're continuously working to improve your times. Plus, the weights-portion is now cardio-based (no rest between exercises should get your heart pounding pretty hard). So here it is pasted over again, just make sure you're working to improve your times:

Every-other day, do an interval training, and every other day a straight distance.

Interval training: Do a ten minute warm-up @ about 60%.
Then, for 15 minutes, do 100% max for a minute, then around 30% for a minute (on and off for the whole 15). Them a 5-minute cool-down.

On distance days, do 40-minutes at a standard pace, but each time try and get a farther distance within those 40-minutes.

Thanks again, G.T. :thup:

Ight booger, here's a lesson in toning vs. building:

toning: a lighter weight, for higher reps. reps should be between 10 and 15, and anything over 15 is overkill. you know when to stop when you can't do another rep, so find a weight where you get 10-15 reps, and there you go. bingo-bango-bongo.

building: higher weight, lower reps. usually you start with a moderate weight and do ten reps. then you add weight, do 8-reps. add weight, do 6-reps. add weight, do 4-reps. add weight, do 2-3 reps. i usually do 5-sets of whatever exercise i'm doing, to build.

these are just general rules obviously. :)

keep working hard. if you don't, imma find out.

Ight booger, here's a lesson in toning vs. building:

toning: a lighter weight, for higher reps. reps should be between 10 and 15, and anything over 15 is overkill. you know when to stop when you can't do another rep, so find a weight where you get 10-15 reps, and there you go. bingo-bango-bongo.

building: higher weight, lower reps. usually you start with a moderate weight and do ten reps. then you add weight, do 8-reps. add weight, do 6-reps. add weight, do 4-reps. add weight, do 2-3 reps. i usually do 5-sets of whatever exercise i'm doing, to build.

these are just general rules obviously. :)

keep working hard. if you don't, imma find out.

K. Just did away with the 2# weights.

Using the 4# ones, but only 10 reps to each set.

Anyone else interested, this is free.

They really should hit you up. Worked for me.

I went from this:

fat-chick.jpg

to this:

b-bodybuilding.jpg

in just a couple months.

Oh, wait! Wrong pic. :redface:

Ummm ... maybe it's this one:

body_builder_4sfw.gif

Nope. Not that one either. :doubt:

Hmmm ... well, anyway, to anyone who cares and even those who don't - G.T. does a good job coming up with a regimen to fit your needs, time constraints, equipment limitations and goals. He's the man. :cool:

Well, Eve, I guess that answers the question that you're not any of the ladies of your avatars. lol

Thanks.. I dont eat a whole lot of sugar as it is. I love peaches, and plums, and oranges, instead. That was a good tip, by the way..

However, I do like sweet drinks, and like I said, I do not mind having it in my drinks. I personally do not see the harm in having a couple of popsicles, for instance.. I am really looking for some guidance on finding sweet drinks that are just *LESS* fattening and *LOWER* in calories than your average bottle of pop (250 calories- and very high in sugar and carbs)

I would love to get a juicer- but I cannot afford one right now, as a student. Well, actually maybe I could, if I looked on craigslist or something.. Hmmmm...

I will be in touch, give you an update on my juicer search, lol.. Thanks for the advice and info. =) This thread is really cute..

Just offering my 2 cents. Did you ever try mixing some fruit juice in with club soda? You get the fizz and the sweet for less cals than a regular soda and without fake sugar subs. You can buy generic club soda for cheap and just mix up whatever type of juice you like into it at home and pop it into a portable bottle. You can also freeze things like orange juice, cranberry juice, etc. for freezy pops. You can make your own tea and sweeten it with honey and lemon or strawberry or whatever. Again you can do all the prep at home and transfer it to a bottle. Just some thoughts.

What's the best way to add protein to your breakfast in a conventional way (not really looking to make a special shake or anything)?

What's the best way to add protein to your breakfast in a conventional way (not really looking to make a special shake or anything)?

Hardboil Eggs and peel them on a Sunday nights, putting them in a large tupperwear in the fridge for the week. Then it's just grab and go and very easy, eat the whites but not the yolks.

If you're ok with Milk, have about 10oz. (skim) w/breakfast also. Another great source of protein is fat free cottage cheese. Hope that all helps.

Hardboil Eggs and peel them on a Sunday nights, putting them in a large tupperwear in the fridge for the week. Then it's just grab and go and very easy, eat the whites but not the yolks.

If you're ok with Milk, have about 10oz. (skim) w/breakfast also. Another great source of protein is fat free cottage cheese. Hope that all helps.

Great ideas. Thanks man.

Forum List

Back