Mental illness

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by lillywilliam, Jul 1, 2009.

1. lillywilliam

lillywilliam Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The causes of mental illness are multi-factored with both genetic and environmental elements. Due to social inefficiency some individuals appear to fall down the social scale and classically are over–represented among the homeless and other socially excluded groups. There is much research about causation but little is as definitive as in other fields of medical practice.

We still struggle to understand why some people suffer while others do not. Most research has been driven by observation of empirical improvements in patients after casual treatment which was administered for another reason. Drug research is aimed at identifying treatments using similar molecules to achieve better results. Research has also demonstrated that for many patients institutional care has been negative and so today the tendency is to maintain patients in the community rather than hospital.:eusa_whistle:

Patients with mental illnesses are well looked after with modern treatments and knowledgeable staff. There are currently problems in dealing with acute crises and, in particular, ensuring rapid assessment with possible hospital diversion. It is felt that many patients are admitted for conditions which could have been treated with enhanced community services. :cuckoo:

Overall, there has been emphasis on developing community services and the trained staff resources have been drawn from in-patient services.

In the short–term this transfer of personnel has resulted in a mismatch between supply and demand. It is felt that better early intervention could maintain greater numbers within the community but to be successful community services would require more options.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. actsnoblemartin

actsnoblemartin I love Andrea & April

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +407
    Excellent article

depression, bipolar, schizophrenia and many other mental illness affect millions of americans but the culture of shame and silence still dominate :eusa_shhh:

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,990
    You will shortly discover our own Board idiots in regards Mental illness. EOTS is the biggest turd here but there are others. If EOTS had his way no one would ever be treated with medication. And as you read his delusional conspiracy threads you will come to realize he is a perfect candidate for meds himself.

4. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Again I ask, quoting this because it encases both of the extremes, why the fuck can't we have a middle ground?

5. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,990
    What? How exactly do I represent an extreme? Be specific.

6. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    no if EOTS had his way people would be fully informed of all their alternatives and given so called medications only with full informed consent..and the wholesale drugging of our children would cease...and if you inform your self of the facts surrounding 9/11 you will soon realize the official story does not add up and realise this view is shared by many exceptional..and intelligent patriots

Patriots Question 9/11 - Responsible Criticism of the 9/11 Commission Report

7. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    The medical industry is interested in over medicating people, do you agree with this or not?

8. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    the total denial that mental illness can be treated with anything other than toxic brain damaging neuroleptic drugs ?

9. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,990
    Wrong way to go, provide facts and quotes of me presenting extreme views. You made the claim back it up. My position on mental issues and medication are quite clearly stated in the numerous threads I have talked about it in.

You chose to attack me now back the shit up.

10. RetiredGySgt

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,990
    Now provide evidence I ever said any such thing.