Arthritis Sufferers

HOwever, I have been a guinea pig the past week. I went off the ACV. And yes, I noticed a major difference. So I'm back on it again. This time, the ACV with the "mother" in it. BIG difference. Big. Still hurt, yes. But during the day as I move around, I'm not crying in pain. Did I mention BIG difference? Big.

Grace, has a doctor ever checked you out for Celiac Disease? I have been analyzing my own symptoms and, because there is Celiac in my family, have thought about going on a gluten free and sugar free diet for awhile to see if some really annoying and uncomfortable, occasionally debilitating, symptoms will clear up. I seem to have a lot of symptoms associated with Celiac lately. If I can muster up the discipline, will advise on progress. :)

I dont have gout attacks anymore. Cant take any gout meds because of my liver. I have bone marrow bleeding in both my knees, Tarpal Tunnel sym. in my ankles, and arthritis in my shoulder elbows and wrists. Going to the doctor all the time isnt an option. I really dislike Medicare.

Grace, has a doctor ever checked you out for Celiac Disease? I have been analyzing my own symptoms and, because there is Celiac in my family, have thought about going on a gluten free and sugar free diet for awhile to see if some really annoying and uncomfortable, occasionally debilitating, symptoms will clear up. I seem to have a lot of symptoms associated with Celiac lately. If I can muster up the discipline, will advise on progress. :)

My doctor has no clue what I might have. I'm the one that googles everything and then asks him what he thinks..and he scratches his head and says "gee, let's check for that".

I'll look it up, Foxfyre and see if it matches my probs. I go to the physical therapist on wednesday to take a look at my xrays of my hands, elbow, knees, shoulders. She's been on vacation. So has my regular doctor. So I've been cooling my heals for a month now. Doctoring myself.

I dont have gout attacks anymore. Cant take any gout meds because of my liver. I have bone marrow bleeding in both my knees, Tarpal Tunnel sym. in my ankles, and arthritis in my shoulder elbows and wrists. Going to the doctor all the time isnt an option. I really dislike Medicare.

Hello fellow pain friend. :(

Celiac Disease:

Symptoms

The symptoms of celiac disease can be different from person to person. This is part of the reason why the diagnosis is not always made right away. For example, one person may have constipation, a second may have diarrhea, and a third may have no problem with stools.

Gastrointestinal symptoms include:

Abdominal pain, bloating, gas, or indigestion Yes

Constipation yes

Decreased appetite (may also be increased or unchanged)yes

Diarrhea, either constant or off and on yes

Lactose intolerance (common when the person is diagnosed, usually goes away after treatment)no

Nausea and vomiting no

Stools that float, are foul smelling, bloody, or “fatty” no

Unexplained weight loss (although people can be overweight or of normal weight) yes and no

Because the intestines do not absorb many important vitamins, minerals, and other parts of food, the following symptoms may start over time:

Bruising easily no

Depression or anxiety yes

Fatigue yes

Growth delay in children N/A

Hair loss no

Itchy skin (dermatitis herpetiformis) yes

Missed menstrual periods N/A

Mouth ulcers no

Muscle cramps and joint pain Yes

Nosebleeds no

Seizures no

Tingling or numbness in the hands or feet yes

Unexplained short height Maybe. I used to be 5'8". Now I am 5'7"

Because so many of those things are associated with other maladies, chances are you don't, Grace. What made me think of it though was that forms of arthritis are associated with Celiac and the number one obvious symptom is gluten intolerance. So when you said going gluten free had helped, that made me wonder.

So much of our normal diet is based on breads, pasta, and other gluten-rich foods, going gluten free would be a major change for me and a major pain for Mr. Foxfyre. So. . . . .

pondering. . . .

I think gluten affects almost all people with inflammatory/autoimmune issues...

This is my third day on Nutra Joint, made by Knox Gelatin. Yesterday was a painful day for me. But today? I actually took all the dogs and the cat for a walk down the block and back up again. My feet are not aching nor swollen. My wrist is not in it's ace bandage so I don't twist it the wrong way. I can make a fist.
Placebo? Maybe.
Actually does what it claims? Maybe.
All I know is it is safe. It does not interfere with other meds (I checked with my pharmacist), and it is cheaper than Knox Gelatin packages you would buy to make jello. Read the link, then google for more info and see for yourself.

I had to try something, since I refuse to take meds that have worse side effects than the ailment itself. There is no cure for RA, or any arthritis and there are hundreds of different kinds of arthritis. So, home remedies, or suffer. I chose to explore and this is what I found and am now trying.

I will keep you updated in case anyone else wants to give it a go.

That kind of persistent pain is terrible. Glad you found something that works!

I was in remission, Sarah. I have not taken the nutra joint for a long while. Actually, I forgot about it. I've been so taken with gluten free recipes (hard to find on the net), a meal plan with gluten free foods (another hard to find thing), experimenting with what I can and cannot eat and dealing with the ramifications...I plum forgot about it.

I HAVE noticed being gluten free that my remission lasts longer and flareups are not as disabling. It's almost like clockwork. A week free of pain so i can do chores...a week of suffering and not moving very far from my bed or chair and lots of ace bandages to keep wrists and ankles from twisting. Sugar free helps too. But i have snuck some in my coffee. No difference. Snuck the bread...and BAM. Flareup. Bloating. Etc.

Moki, my dog, has allergies so bad, his poor butt is red from him bumping it against the bed frames to scratch. I have been wiping apple cider vinegar on his back and butt..then adding some neosporin. AND...no dog food. Just his rice, chicken, carrot stew I make for him and the other dogs. I took him off the dry food 2 days ago. He gets stew. The other dogs get some too, but just a little bit in their dry food sinc they don't have the allergy problem.
Yesterday he didn't scratch. Today, he has not scratched at all. He seems at pease. And the redness is gone.
I think the gluten in the meal in dry dog food is a culprit too.

HOwever, I have been a guinea pig the past week. I went off the ACV. And yes, I noticed a major difference. So I'm back on it again. This time, the ACV with the "mother" in it. BIG difference. Big. Still hurt, yes. But during the day as I move around, I'm not crying in pain. Did I mention BIG difference? Big.

Drink it with a full glass of water, it can cause esophageal spasms. I'm a believer in organic ACV with the mother for any number of ailments like high blood pressure, high blood sugar and as you've discovered, arthritis.

Earthclinic.com is an interesting site to visit.

I love that website, Sarah. I posted the link here somewhere in the beginning of the thread I think. ACV is awesome stuff and even better with honey. And as a hair rinse. I don't waste money any more on fancy conditioners. ACV works great. INSIDE your body, and out.

Meanwhile...I am....keeping fingers crossed....in the process of going back into remission. I think. No ace bandage. Was outside and actually threw the ball for the dogs. My ankles are no longer swollen. And no, I have not taken a vicodin. Last night I did but it has worn off. I THINK I am stopping the flareup. But I won't be sure until tomorrow morning when I wake up. If I can use both hands and wrists....this will be the shortest flareup EVER.

And meanwhile..Moki is outside playing with his stuffed toys. Playing. No humping his butt and grunting. Back skin looks fine. no red. No baby benedryl. No dry dog food either. And for a treat, he gets a small bite of roast beef..no more doggy biscuits. And I let him have a small snack of my gluten free bisquick biscuit I made this morning.

I am thrilled. He is PLAYING.

You too my friend. My doctor is an ass about pain meds. I finally asked her for some after a year of being a paitent. She gave me 60 5 mg vicodins and said " Thats it, we arent a pill factory." She wanted me to go to pain management. I think it is because I have long gray hair and beard. I take advil and 3-4 hot baths a day.

That is so frustrating. Get another doctor. There's no reason we have to live with pain when there are pain meds available.

You too my friend. My doctor is an ass about pain meds. I finally asked her for some after a year of being a paitent. She gave me 60 5 mg vicodins and said " Thats it, we arent a pill factory." She wanted me to go to pain management. I think it is because I have long gray hair and beard. I take advil and 3-4 hot baths a day.

My doctor thinks giving me pain pills is a cure so mine is the opposite of yours. But, he is handing me over to a physical therapist so I'm pretty sure I will be told to go to pain management as well. I have a high tolerance for pain, thank God (and my mother's genes).

Unfortunately, I am still on the edge of half remission, half flareup. Sigh. Could be worse, i guess.

Keep up with the hot baths, my friend. I don't have a gray beard but my hair is. Us oldies...well....pets are treated at the Vets better than some of us, eh?

Thanks Allie and Grace. Getting a good doctor is hard. My last doctor dropped me because he quit taking Medicare. Im 55 on disability, so we do what we have to. It is good talking with you about it.

I think it does help to talk out what we're feeling and experiencing with folks who understand. Too often those who haven't experienced it don't understand and I sometimes feel like I'm just whining or complaining or come off as in hypochondriac mode if I even mention it. At least most folks posting on this thread have been there and at least hear what I and others are saying.

I am grateful to Grace for starting the thread.

Forum List

Back