Side effects of medicine

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by waltky, Apr 20, 2011.

1. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,855
    Stevens-Johnson Syndrome...
    :confused:
    The worst side effect you've never heard of
    4/20/2011 - Common drugs can trigger rare and sometimes deadly Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
    See also:

Grandsons may be affected by old pregnancy drug
    4/20/2011 - Diethylstilbestrol was prescribed decades ago to prevent pregnancy complications

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  2. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Which is why one should stick to what granny's granny did back in wagon wheel days. Home remedies, deal with the ailment the best you can, and know you live, then you die. All this medicine being shoved in our bodies is killing us more than the disease that may be inhabiting it.

3. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    btw...don't google images of Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. It will give you nightmares. I'd kill myself.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    FYI: The contraindications for Marijuana

Good to know, eh?

5. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,857
    ahh grace...the outward appearance is nothing compared to what it does to one's innards.

but the side effects of meds....sometimes i listen to commericals for a new drug and then listen to the side effects.....who knew what anal leakage was till they produced potato chips with that stuff that caused 'anal leakage' ....is that just a pr word for shitting your pants

the one i love is the pill to cure your yellow toes.....it can kill you.....yellow toes cant...and yellow toes are best treated with....*drum roll here please* vicks vapor rub

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Commercials for drugs scare the bejesus out of me.
    I really really really need to study up on herbal remedies, edible plants with healing properties and just become a witch with my own concoctions.

I don't have yellow nails but when I get older and if they turn yellow, I'll keep it in mind.

I think I'll go to the used book store and stock up on some herbal remedy books.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    Be CAREFUL with those, too.

Some of those nostrums can be very strong medicines with very serious contraindications.

Just because it is natural, does not mean it is benign.

8. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Yes, I know. Most drugs are made from herbal plants. But I'd like to go as natural as I can. Hence my fascination with apple cider vinegar.

9. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,627
    More and more we are seeing Ads for prescription drugs on TV and everywhere else. Apparently the law says that the drug companies must list the side effects of prescription drugs and that's a good thing. On the radio they speed up the words so you can hardly understand it but on TV they are more up front although they use words that might tend to confuse people. "Some fatal episodes have occurred" means the drug could kill you. I've seen them recite horrifying side effects for drugs that are supposed to cure relatively harmless ailments. Who would take a chance like that?

10. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,918
    Fear is a crazy thing. One would think millions are dying when in fact almost no one is affected.

One of the medications I take for controlling my depression ( it is also an anti psycotic)can have a chance to affect the heart and can cause higher blood sugar. I have diabetes.

For what that medication does for me I do not care what the side effects are.

Informed choice is the word you are looking for. Learn the side effects and potential side effects before you take it. Funny thing is that for every medication over the counter or prescribed one can and does get a sheet that clearly lists all known and suspected side effects.