arrested for small tip, WTF?? followup

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
the last I heard, tips were extra for good service.

nbc5i in new york

LAKE GEORGE, N.Y -- A New York City man accused of leaving an inadequate tip at a restaurant was arrested, fingerprinted and photographed for a mug shot.
Humberto A. Taveras, 41, faces a misdemeanor charge of theft of services after he and his fellow diners argued with Soprano's Italian and American Grill managers over the legality of requiring an 18 percent tip for large parties.

not paying his whole tab, would that be because the 'required' 18% tip is listed as part of the bill? did he pay for all the food ordered?

DKSuddeth said:
not paying his whole tab, would that be because the 'required' 18% tip is listed as part of the bill? did he pay for all the food ordered?

Lots of places have required gratuity for large parties. Its included in the bill, and generally advertised in the menu.

nakedemperor said:
Lots of places have required gratuity for large parties. Its included in the bill, and generally advertised in the menu.

I've worked in food service in the past, I know places have it for large parties, but how can it 'legally' be required?

Most places do this. It's just like UPS or Fed Ex charging extra for shipping if the package is particularly big. I do think it's bs in this case. No matter the size of the party, if you get crappy service there shouldn't be an automatic anything.

I'd guess the establishment shouldn't require tipping for large parties (is a party of SIX 'large'??); they should simply pay their employees better when they serve larger parties. :)

TIP....To Insure Perfect Service.

I grew up around fine dinning establishments. I know what a tip is and isn't.
First....It's not MANDATORY which is what these places that stick
that note (15, 18, 20% Tip added to parties of XXX or more) on the menu would like you to think.
Increasingly you'll find a mandatory tip included for anyone in some places.

This is something the public is bringing on themselves, as well as the typical
poor service that is the norm these days.
It amazes me that people will accept a $20+meal not including drinks etc. dropped in front of them never to
see the waiter/waitress again till check time and then pay $40-60 (party of two) or more
AND still leave a 15-20% tip because they think they are suppose to! For what, someone to take your order?

I refuse to ever eat in any restaurant that require mandatory tips.
All you can be sure you'll get is crappy service.

Restaurants stick this "Tip Added" in to keep their lazy ass staff.
Personally I don't think this restaurant has a legal leg to stand on.

Hope that make sense...I'm in a hurry...

Charges dropped, not tipping enough not illegal

The 41-year-old Long Island man was arrested Labor Day weekend when the restaurant owner accused him of not leaving an 18 percent gratuity required for large parties.

Taveras said he wasn't aware of the policy -- and wouldn't have left that much money anyway because he and his friends weren't happy with the service. He said he left about a 12 percent tip on a $71 bill. He added the service was slow and the food was not that good.

But restaurant owner Joe Soprano said all the menus have the notice and the waitress told them, too. Soprano said he did not press charges because of the money. He said Taveras was rude.

The restaurant owners had police catch the Taveras family outside the restaurant in another store along Lake George's tourist strip.

Taveras was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor theft of services. He said restaurants should not be forced to make a person tip. It's supposed to be a thank you for good service.

The Warren County District Attorney's Office said a restaurant patron can't be forced to leave a gratuity. Prosecutors said establishments have to call it a service charge -- not a tip -- in order to make it a mandatory add-on charge.

In other news, restaraunts across america adopt extra service charges on all menus.

DKSuddeth said:
Charges dropped, not tipping enough not illegal

The 41-year-old Long Island man was arrested Labor Day weekend when the restaurant owner accused him of not leaving an 18 percent gratuity required for large parties.

Taveras said he wasn't aware of the policy -- and wouldn't have left that much money anyway because he and his friends weren't happy with the service. He said he left about a 12 percent tip on a $71 bill. He added the service was slow and the food was not that good.

But restaurant owner Joe Soprano said all the menus have the notice and the waitress told them, too. Soprano said he did not press charges because of the money. He said Taveras was rude.

The restaurant owners had police catch the Taveras family outside the restaurant in another store along Lake George's tourist strip.

Taveras was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor theft of services. He said restaurants should not be forced to make a person tip. It's supposed to be a thank you for good service.

The Warren County District Attorney's Office said a restaurant patron can't be forced to leave a gratuity. Prosecutors said establishments have to call it a service charge -- not a tip -- in order to make it a mandatory add-on charge.

In other news, restaraunts across america adopt extra service charges on all menus.

Aint technicalities grand? :duh3:

Forum List

Back