army rangers...

The ones I truly honor are the military dependent spouses. Their road is rocky, uphill, and just so darn hard. My spouse put up with incredible trials and tribulations, and came out of them to give us all a wonderful home. Military spouses are wonderfully brave.

Mothers, wives and girlfriends are true heroes when it comes to combat tours. It breaks my heart knowing what my loved ones go through every time I walk out that door to another tour.

I salute them all!
Thanks

A long time ago a co-worker described it in terms of bar fights. He said you get into a fight with a Special Forces guy, and he will kick your ass. But they usually are loners and you can outnumber him and eventually get him. Rangers, he said, are a different story: pick on one and once he hollers "RANGER!" they ALL come out of the woodwork. No fancy kung-fu moves; they just start poking out eyes, tearing off ears, noses, kicking the nuts and then they start fighting dirty after that.

Ranger class 10-81: "Our Souls are sold to the Black and Gold! RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

Ironically, I got my ass kicked in a bar right after Ranger School. It was at a hick-bar in my hometown against the local meth dealers. I was just minding my own business (seriously) and the dude came up and punched me in the mouth. I didn't have any back up, save for my high school friend who sat there with their mouths open (thanks guys). I took my licks and got the hell out of there. No way was I going into the parking lot with a tweaker.

It drove home what the RI's said in the sandpit at Rogers while learning "Ranger Kung Fu"; "We are just teaching you enough to get your ass kicked in a bar, Rangers."

Class 04-02.

Still, I appreciate you and all the others who volunteered for Ranger and a shitload of other things. (That way I didn't have to do them.)

March on Proudly.

A long time ago a co-worker described it in terms of bar fights. He said you get into a fight with a Special Forces guy, and he will kick your ass. But they usually are loners and you can outnumber him and eventually get him. Rangers, he said, are a different story: pick on one and once he hollers "RANGER!" they ALL come out of the woodwork. No fancy kung-fu moves; they just start poking out eyes, tearing off ears, noses, kicking the nuts and then they start fighting dirty after that.

Ranger class 10-81: "Our Souls are sold to the Black and Gold! RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!"

Ironically, I got my ass kicked in a bar right after Ranger School. It was at a hick-bar in my hometown against the local meth dealers. I was just minding my own business (seriously) and the dude came up and punched me in the mouth. I didn't have any back up, save for my high school friend who sat there with their mouths open (thanks guys). I took my licks and got the hell out of there. No way was I going into the parking lot with a tweaker.

It drove home what the RI's said in the sandpit at Rogers while learning "Ranger Kung Fu"; "We are just teaching you enough to get your ass kicked in a bar, Rangers."

Class 04-02.

Still, I appreciate you and all the others who volunteered for Ranger and a shitload of other things. (That way I didn't have to do them.)

March on Proudly.

Thanks. My soldiering days are far behind me, but I'll always be proud of the accomplishment.

Thank you for your service as well.

My son just got back from his 3rd tour to Iraq, finally back in Germany with his family! But he went through selection at Ft Bragg a couple years ago. He didn't get selected...but he made it all the way through it which is a big accomplishment. I'm proud of him for doing that...but i'm also glad he wasn't selected. I would never tell him that because if that's what he wants to do then i'm behind him. But it's such a hard life for a soldier with a wife and kids. His wife is awsome, she runs the Family Readiness? program at their base (stationed at Graf), is a contact for families that have soldiers deployed. And she's only 24 yrs old!

My son just got back from his 3rd tour to Iraq, finally back in Germany with his family! But he went through selection at Ft Bragg a couple years ago. He didn't get selected...but he made it all the way through it which is a big accomplishment. I'm proud of him for doing that...but i'm also glad he wasn't selected. I would never tell him that because if that's what he wants to do then i'm behind him. But it's such a hard life for a soldier with a wife and kids. His wife is awsome, she runs the Family Readiness? program at their base (stationed at Graf), is a contact for families that have soldiers deployed. And she's only 24 yrs old!

Congratulations to you, mom and mom-in-law and grandmother. I hope they all come home to you soon, safe and sound.

My wife had a tee shirt years ago, it read:

Army Wife
Toughest Job in the Army

And no truer words were ever written, When I retired i requested that she be the first person honored, and she received a Certificate of Appreciation signed by the Secretary of the Army.

They grow up fast in the military family.

:happy-1: said:
Congratulations to you, mom and mom-in-law and grandmother. I hope they all come home to you soon, safe and sound.

Thanks! In fact i just found out they're all coming home for Christmas! I'm soooo excited!
:happy-1:

i wanna be an army ranger...i wanna lead a life of danger....

When I was in the Navy we had a song "I want to be a Sea Bee to see what the sweet honeys of the world will do to me."

;):lol: Oh!!!! Really do tell!!!! Well i heard, when i first joined the navy, shortly after i got out of High School, that they had an expression so often used, "Join the Navy and Ride the Waves". I was not to amused, when i found that out, but i got use to it after awhile.

Rangers are good people and under-appreciated. I started the book about Pat Tillman who quit football to become a Ranger but I put it down when the author became mired in left wing conspiracy politics. Tillman was killed by friendly fire and the author it's a shame but it doesn't diminish his patriotism and sacrifice.

Why is this in the flame zone?

I don't know, probably because a Marine runs the board.

I never served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, but as an Infantry Officer was expected to complete Ranger School, which by the grace of God, I managed to do without repeating a phase (the school is in three phases, a basic phase in Benning, where is mostly teaching, a mountain phase in Dahlonega, GA and a Swamp Phase in Eglin AFB in the Florida Panhandle).

You basically are on constant patrol in adverse terrain with constant missions coming in and the leadership of the patrol being graded. That would be tough enough (try climbing up and down the Tennessee Valley Divide with over 100 lbs of gear day after day), but to replicate combat stress, you are deprived of food and sleep and that just makes the experience miserable. I lost over 30 lbs in 62 days (I was in the shape of my life at the time. I would put my BMI at 21 or so, so it's not like I had a lot of weight to lose. By the end, we were basically metabolizing muscle and reeked of ammonia), and that was common. Most everyone went through periods of hallucinations from sleep deprivation. I'll never forget moving out on patrol at night and seeing one of my buddies w/ an AT-4 (disposable bazooka) strapped crossways across his backpack. I became convinced someone had become bisected and we were packing out his torso (w/ the AT-4 being his arms). I started freaking out, until my friend shook me out of it.

At any rate, 50% of the people who attempt the school never finish it. In my class, only about 20% of us managed to make it through without having to redo one of the three phases. That was luck on my part, I richly deserved to fail the last course as I was completely worthless by that point. My hands had cracked along the joints and I could barely use them.

Then to add the cherry on top of the "this sucks" cupcake, I went during the winter and it was fricking cold. I got a nasty case of trench foot on our last mission, which was a raid on Santa Rosa island in Pensacola Bay. We had to row zodiac boats to the Island, but the tide was miserable and we scuttled our boat on a sand bar about 100 meters out and had to jump out and drag it ashore.

As much as it sucked, it was, without a doubt, the best training I ever got in the Army (as far as preparing you for combat). I think if more people had the benefit of the training (it's closed off to everyone but males in combat arms units and Special Operations from other services (Force Recon, SEALs, etc)), there would be less causalities in combat.

At any rate, graduation was a very happy day for me. Though my future wife and parents didn't recognize me when they first saw me.
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread.

There is no greater honor, as far i'm concerned, than wearing that tan beret (formerly black when I graduated.).

It was an honor to wear that maroon beret after Airborne school.......It was an honor to sport the Air Assault badge, and an equal honor to sport the Pathfinder flame but, none of it compared to being officially designated the honor of wearing that Ranger Beret.....Although, earning the CIB badge after the first tour was pretty awesome also.

And, the Florida phase is hell on earth on steroids. Getting through it is a feeling only a Ranger can understand.

RLTW!......ALL THE WAY!

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
this is in the flame zone cause that is where most of my threads are...has nothing to do with gunny or anyone else....stop being paranoid

Class 04-02.

Well, back before the Army got all nice and kind, when I was assigned to XVIII Abn Corps, we were at a bar talking smack about legs. A couple of us were RANGERS and some were non-Airborne paratroopers, one of the guys was a former British Marine converted into an Airborne Ranger. At the bar, there was a group of non-Airborne soldiers who said that we should realize that we weren't at Bragg and the rest of the Army isn't so gung-ho on paratroopers.

Our Brit guy said, "y'know...you're absolutely right! How unthoughtful of us! Just to show you that there's no hard feelings, how about a drink? My treat...."

He turned to the barmaid and said, "Darling, four shots of Scotch for us..." then pointed towards the table of non-Paratroopers and said, "and four glasses of water for the dirty, stinking legs over there...."

That's when the fists started flying. I could tell you that we kicked their asses, but the truth is that we all looked like Laurel and Hardy doing more to hurt ourselves than each other.

We ended up sharing drinks by the end of the night.
Proof that Henry Kissinger was right !

Ehhh, the real honor only really comes from wearing this:
Just sayin'

Attachments

• $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303147159.869285.jpg
    $ImageUploadedByTapatalk1303147159.869285.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 87
Awww c'mon. Making fun of the AF is too easy...you Army POGs are the only worthwhile insult fodder because you're the only ones that can put up a fight.

On topic: I could die happy knowing I had a 21 gun salute from my brothers waiting at my funeral. Anyone who served could.

Wow...i just came across this thread again, forgot about it!! So i gotta do some bragging!! :)

Since i posted in this thread earlier...my daughter and i got to visit my son and family in Germany for 2 weeks (IT WAS AWSOME!) and right after we got back home, Chris went for some kind of "training" at Ft Bragg. I never found out what it was until it was over...he went there for Special Forces selection AGAIN (it was his 3rd time going!!), and this time he was selected!!! They're now at Ft Bragg and Chris is in his training...learning French (lol) and getting ready for some of the really tough stuff they put you through (that i don't want to know about! lol).
Sometimes i think...why couldn't he have decided to be a veterinarian or something else that's "safe"? Because that's not him..and i'm SO very proud of him. He loves the Army, and being a Green Beret has been his dream.

Wow...i just came across this thread again, forgot about it!! So i gotta do some bragging!! :)

Since i posted in this thread earlier...my daughter and i got to visit my son and family in Germany for 2 weeks (IT WAS AWSOME!) and right after we got back home, Chris went for some kind of "training" at Ft Bragg. I never found out what it was until it was over...he went there for Special Forces selection AGAIN (it was his 3rd time going!!), and this time he was selected!!! They're now at Ft Bragg and Chris is in his training...learning French (lol) and getting ready for some of the really tough stuff they put you through (that i don't want to know about! lol).
Sometimes i think...why couldn't he have decided to be a veterinarian or something else that's "safe"? Because that's not him..and i'm SO very proud of him. He loves the Army, and being a Green Beret has been his dream.

My salute to him. I've known quite a few SF folks and they are all good people. Also good to have on your side. I don't envy him though, the Q course he is taking is one of the most mentally and physically demanding things any human being has ever volunteered for. I took the map reading portion of the Q course because of a bet I lost with my Green Beret neighbor at Bragg...And even that was tough.

My salute to him. I've known quite a few SF folks and they are all good people. Also good to have on your side. I don't envy him though, the Q course he is taking is one of the most mentally and physically demanding things any human being has ever volunteered for. I took the map reading portion of the Q course because of a bet I lost with my Green Beret neighbor at Bragg...And even that was tough.

Thanks so much! He tells me about some of the training he's going through and i said i didn't know if i wanted to know about it anymore!!! wow! It really takes some special people to do this :)

Forum List

Back