army rangers...

Awww c'mon. Making fun of the AF is too easy...you Army POGs are the only worthwhile insult fodder because you're the only ones that can put up a fight.

On topic: I could die happy knowing I had a 21 gun salute from my brothers waiting at my funeral. Anyone who served could.

If I were Naval Infantry, I'd be insecure too.

Awww c'mon. Making fun of the AF is too easy...you Army POGs are the only worthwhile insult fodder because you're the only ones that can put up a fight.

On topic: I could die happy knowing I had a 21 gun salute from my brothers waiting at my funeral. Anyone who served could.

Join your local American Legion. None of our members are laid to rest without full honors.

Why is this in the flame zone?

I don't know, probably because a Marine runs the board.

I never served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, but as an Infantry Officer was expected to complete Ranger School, which by the grace of God, I managed to do without repeating a phase (the school is in three phases, a basic phase in Benning, where is mostly teaching, a mountain phase in Dahlonega, GA and a Swamp Phase in Eglin AFB in the Florida Panhandle).

You basically are on constant patrol in adverse terrain with constant missions coming in and the leadership of the patrol being graded. That would be tough enough (try climbing up and down the Tennessee Valley Divide with over 100 lbs of gear day after day), but to replicate combat stress, you are deprived of food and sleep and that just makes the experience miserable. I lost over 30 lbs in 62 days (I was in the shape of my life at the time. I would put my BMI at 21 or so, so it's not like I had a lot of weight to lose. By the end, we were basically metabolizing muscle and reeked of ammonia), and that was common. Most everyone went through periods of hallucinations from sleep deprivation. I'll never forget moving out on patrol at night and seeing one of my buddies w/ an AT-4 (disposable bazooka) strapped crossways across his backpack. I became convinced someone had become bisected and we were packing out his torso (w/ the AT-4 being his arms). I started freaking out, until my friend shook me out of it.

At any rate, 50% of the people who attempt the school never finish it. In my class, only about 20% of us managed to make it through without having to redo one of the three phases. That was luck on my part, I richly deserved to fail the last course as I was completely worthless by that point. My hands had cracked along the joints and I could barely use them.

Then to add the cherry on top of the "this sucks" cupcake, I went during the winter and it was fricking cold. I got a nasty case of trench foot on our last mission, which was a raid on Santa Rosa island in Pensacola Bay. We had to row zodiac boats to the Island, but the tide was miserable and we scuttled our boat on a sand bar about 100 meters out and had to jump out and drag it ashore.

As much as it sucked, it was, without a doubt, the best training I ever got in the Army (as far as preparing you for combat). I think if more people had the benefit of the training (it's closed off to everyone but males in combat arms units and Special Operations from other services (Force Recon, SEALs, etc)), there would be less causalities in combat.

At any rate, graduation was a very happy day for me. Though my future wife and parents didn't recognize me when they first saw me.

back at you, what class where you in?

RIP is no picnic either.

In R school the worst is no sleep, NONE...:evil:

I never served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, but as an Infantry Officer was expected to complete Ranger School, which by the grace of God, I managed to do without repeating a phase (the school is in three phases, a basic phase in Benning, where is mostly teaching, a mountain phase in Dahlonega, GA and a Swamp Phase in Eglin AFB in the Florida Panhandle).

You basically are on constant patrol in adverse terrain with constant missions coming in and the leadership of the patrol being graded. That would be tough enough (try climbing up and down the Tennessee Valley Divide with over 100 lbs of gear day after day), but to replicate combat stress, you are deprived of food and sleep and that just makes the experience miserable. I lost over 30 lbs in 62 days (I was in the shape of my life at the time. I would put my BMI at 21 or so, so it's not like I had a lot of weight to lose. By the end, we were basically metabolizing muscle and reeked of ammonia), and that was common. Most everyone went through periods of hallucinations from sleep deprivation. I'll never forget moving out on patrol at night and seeing one of my buddies w/ an AT-4 (disposable bazooka) strapped crossways across his backpack. I became convinced someone had become bisected and we were packing out his torso (w/ the AT-4 being his arms). I started freaking out, until my friend shook me out of it.

At any rate, 50% of the people who attempt the school never finish it. In my class, only about 20% of us managed to make it through without having to redo one of the three phases. That was luck on my part, I richly deserved to fail the last course as I was completely worthless by that point. My hands had cracked along the joints and I could barely use them.

Then to add the cherry on top of the "this sucks" cupcake, I went during the winter and it was fricking cold. I got a nasty case of trench foot on our last mission, which was a raid on Santa Rosa island in Pensacola Bay. We had to row zodiac boats to the Island, but the tide was miserable and we scuttled our boat on a sand bar about 100 meters out and had to jump out and drag it ashore.

As much as it sucked, it was, without a doubt, the best training I ever got in the Army (as far as preparing you for combat). I think if more people had the benefit of the training (it's closed off to everyone but males in combat arms units and Special Operations from other services (Force Recon, SEALs, etc)), there would be less causalities in combat.

At any rate, graduation was a very happy day for me. Though my future wife and parents didn't recognize me when they first saw me.
Wow, can't believe I missed this thread.

There is no greater honor, as far i'm concerned, than wearing that tan beret (formerly black when I graduated.).

It was an honor to wear that maroon beret after Airborne school.......It was an honor to sport the Air Assault badge, and an equal honor to sport the Pathfinder flame but, none of it compared to being officially designated the honor of wearing that Ranger Beret.....Although, earning the CIB badge after the first tour was pretty awesome also.

And, the Florida phase is hell on earth on steroids. Getting through it is a feeling only a Ranger can understand.

RLTW!......ALL THE WAY!

and they took away our black and traded it away for that fucking sand shit. stupid and not necessary......

we have another here as well, uses the jungle lightening patch as his avatar, but I can't remember his freakin' name, he comes around so often...

I was in contact with one of my RB's, hes just retired...CSM....

RIP is no picnic either.

4-02. I am the guy you are talking about. I was with the 25th ID. I frequently change my avatars. I never went to RIP/ROP

The sleep got me too. The lack of food didn't bother me like it did some people.

The Class 4 cycle sucks too. It's all winter without any winter break. January to March. The weather starts getting nice just about when you graduate.

I'll never forget how my hands got so chapped that they broke down and cracked at the joints. Digging in my ruck sack was a bitch.

RIP is no picnic either.

4-02. I am the guy you are talking about. I was with the 25th ID. I frequently change my avatars. I never went to RIP/ROP

The sleep got me too. The lack of food didn't bother me like it did some people.

The Class 4 cycle sucks too. It's all winter without any winter break. January to March. The weather starts getting nice just about when you graduate.

I'll never forget how my hands got so chapped that they broke down and cracked at the joints. Digging in my ruck sack was a bitch.

fuck :redface: ooops. sorry bout that. I'll give you my franks and beans..;) you know what classl I was in, I hate winter, the 8 cycle was just right.

The sleep? man, I think it took years off my life, I shit you not. Nothing ever ever like it. We did a Bad Tolz Commando school thing with the french, they did that shit to, we spent all the night looking for 'caches' of food they had hid before hand, we only found half of it too, every night......frogs, I have to say I thought we walked? No, they walk like MFers. We'd do the Big R shuffle on their asses and they'd just keep on walkin'. :lol:

hey wtf? how did you get out of RIP? did they kill it?

Last edited:

RIP is no picnic either.

fuck :redface: ooops. sorry bout that. I'll give you my franks and beans..;) you know what classl I was in, I hate winter, the 8 cycle was just right.

The sleep? man, I think it took years off my life, I shit you not. Nothing ever ever like it. We did a Bad Tolz Commando school thing with the french, they did that shit to, we spent all the night looking for 'caches' of food they had hid before hand, we only found half of it too, every night......frogs, I have to say I thought we walked? No, they walk like MFers. We'd do the Big R shuffle on their asses and they'd just keep on walkin'. :lol:

No, I was an officer. I was never in Regiment. If you aren't going to regiment, you don't do RIP/ROP. The programs are still going. The conventional guys just don't go to them, as there is no point.

I'll say one thing, that school permanently screwed up my metabolism. Immediately after it, I metabolized and stored food a lot differently.

No, I was an officer. I was never in Regiment. If you aren't going to regiment, you don't do RIP/ROP. The programs are still going. The conventional guys just don't go to them, as there is no point.

You pogue ass beatch!!!(please accept that in the spirit intended as one to another ;))

thats right, I had forgotten, now I remember, it was one reason we tried to peer out officers.....sour grapes.

I'll say one thing, that school permanently screwed up my metabolism. Immediately after it, I metabolized and stored food a lot differently.

hummm, I hear you, there after for oh, 6 months, a year, I burned through everything immediately, I was not as hungry for some reason, I should have been, but I ate and no matter how much, I could not gain a pound back for a long timie.

did you take on weight ?

You pogue ass beatch!!!(please accept that in the spirit intended as one to another ;))

thats right, I had forgotten, now I remember, it was one reason we tried to peer out officers.....sour grapes.

hummm, I hear you, there after for oh, 6 months, a year, I burned through everything immediately, I was not as hungry for some reason, I should have been, but I ate and no matter how much, I could not gain a pound back for a long timie.

did you take on weight ?

Yeah, and mostly visceral fat.

Forum List

Back