army rangers...

Discussion in 'Military' started by strollingbones, Sep 27, 2009.

1. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,970
    i hear all about big and bads...well here is a group i dont hear much said about....growing up around ft. bragg...i have learned to appreciate the army ranger.

[​IMG]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQ2gQHOZRE&feature=related]YouTube - Running Cadences-US Army Rangers.[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    I used to date an Army Ranger. He would have some WICKED nightmares........................he would be in the corner with a sword thinking he was being attacked, I don't know if it was sleep walking or what.

But yeah, they are tough mo fo's.

Yeah, and he and I took his Harley to Savannah , GA where he did some training. I love Savannah! Cool town.

3. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Army Rangers are featured in the movie "Blackhawk Down".

4. Terry

Terry Shut the $%$ Up!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,091
    You know I have a lot of respect for every military person from the cook to the pilot to the latrine queen to the ranger. They all do their part and without each one, it will make the other difficult to accomplish their mission if not impossible.

5. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Why is this in the flame zone?

6. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I don't know, probably because a Marine runs the board.

I never served in the 75th Ranger Regiment, but as an Infantry Officer was expected to complete Ranger School, which by the grace of God, I managed to do without repeating a phase (the school is in three phases, a basic phase in Benning, where is mostly teaching, a mountain phase in Dahlonega, GA and a Swamp Phase in Eglin AFB in the Florida Panhandle).

You basically are on constant patrol in adverse terrain with constant missions coming in and the leadership of the patrol being graded. That would be tough enough (try climbing up and down the Tennessee Valley Divide with over 100 lbs of gear day after day), but to replicate combat stress, you are deprived of food and sleep and that just makes the experience miserable. I lost over 30 lbs in 62 days (I was in the shape of my life at the time. I would put my BMI at 21 or so, so it's not like I had a lot of weight to lose. By the end, we were basically metabolizing muscle and reeked of ammonia), and that was common. Most everyone went through periods of hallucinations from sleep deprivation. I'll never forget moving out on patrol at night and seeing one of my buddies w/ an AT-4 (disposable bazooka) strapped crossways across his backpack. I became convinced someone had become bisected and we were packing out his torso (w/ the AT-4 being his arms). I started freaking out, until my friend shook me out of it.

At any rate, 50% of the people who attempt the school never finish it. In my class, only about 20% of us managed to make it through without having to redo one of the three phases. That was luck on my part, I richly deserved to fail the last course as I was completely worthless by that point. My hands had cracked along the joints and I could barely use them.

Then to add the cherry on top of the "this sucks" cupcake, I went during the winter and it was fricking cold. I got a nasty case of trench foot on our last mission, which was a raid on Santa Rosa island in Pensacola Bay. We had to row zodiac boats to the Island, but the tide was miserable and we scuttled our boat on a sand bar about 100 meters out and had to jump out and drag it ashore.

As much as it sucked, it was, without a doubt, the best training I ever got in the Army (as far as preparing you for combat). I think if more people had the benefit of the training (it's closed off to everyone but males in combat arms units and Special Operations from other services (Force Recon, SEALs, etc)), there would be less causalities in combat.

At any rate, graduation was a very happy day for me. Though my future wife and parents didn't recognize me when they first saw me.

Attached Files:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  7. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Bones loves to put everything in the Flame Zone lol. I moved it to Military where it belongs! ;)

8. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    That is certainly the truth, and we all basically choose our destinies in the military. I volunteered for everything I did, so it's not like I get to thump my chest for my own personal decisions.

However, that's not to say that life isn't tougher and more dangerous for certain occupations versus others.

IMO, being a helicopter pilot is the most dangerous job in the military. Your job basically has the same level of danger whether you are in combat or not (since I think only one helicopter has been shot down by a lucky RPG shot in Afghanistan).

If I had to go back to the combat zone, I would much rather go with an Infantry Unit than some goofy mickey mouse pseudo-combat arms group like the ad hoc civil affairs units they are slapping together.

At least if you are going to be on the ground, you will be there with guys who can take care of business.

We saw this a lot in Afghanistan. If you looked tough, you would be left alone. We had a "softer" unit get ambushed along a road that we had just traveled down without a problem. They got ambushed because they had no rear security (someone looking behind them), and the Taliban ran down the mountain, into the road, and shot an RPG round into their ass to set off the ambush.

If they would have tried that crap with us, the RPG gunner would have been toast as "always have 360 degrees of security while moving" is the golden rule of patrolling.

9. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,489
    The ones I truly honor are the military dependent spouses. Their road is rocky, uphill, and just so darn hard. My spouse put up with incredible trials and tribulations, and came out of them to give us all a wonderful home. Military spouses are wonderfully brave.

10. Bootneck

Bootneck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,172
    Mothers, wives and girlfriends are true heroes when it comes to combat tours. It breaks my heart knowing what my loved ones go through every time I walk out that door to another tour.

I salute them all!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 11