army has been downsized prepare for draft day

What we need is another recession to start a war with volunteers,,,or declare war and have a recession...either way worked for the GOP....

Isis has like 30,000 troops. Most of them from the old Iraqi army the GOP disbanded. If they kept it together, there wouldn't be this huge fuck up. As always, the GOP is the disaster party.
The next 4 largest militaries in the Middle East are over 1.5 million combined. But it's the ignorant Right Wing that thinks the US needs to rush in and set things right. This is why such ignorant people should stay out of politics. Screwing up Red States and the economy wasn't enough for them. They won't stop until they have screwed up the entire world.

And I think the draft is a GREAT idea. Chicken Hawks like Mitt Romney wouldn't support such nonsense like Iraq if it were his own 5 sons that were in danger. As long as it's only the "little people" then he is OK with it.

And I think the draft is a GREAT idea. Chicken Hawks like Mitt Romney wouldn't support such nonsense like Iraq if it were his own 5 sons that were in danger. As long as it's only the "little people" then he is OK with it.
Didn't Milt say that his sons were performing their service to America by helping him get elected?

Liberals, like the above poster, would love nothing more than for America to be just another 3rd rate military like Europe so all of that money can be spent on "social programs". Should we be the world superpower? Should we influence other countries to buy our products at a premium while buying theirs for a low price? Do we want forward deployed forces in case of emergencies or disasters? Yes, humanitarian aid is first sent by the military and comes out of the military budget. No one likes to talk about that little tidbit. And don't forget China is building a large navy, much of it from intelligence they stole from us. To be a world power, you need a navy. Do you want China to be the world superpower? The Yuan the world currency?

I'd rather be the world superpower with the best military, which we still are but with sequestration we're losing that status. Better buy the Rosetta Stone for Mandarin.

I was in the Army for 11 years, thanks.

Exactly what has fighting wars in the middle east for the last 30 years gotten us? I mean besides thousands of dead soldiers and trillions in debt?

The reason the Chinese are overtaking us is not because they are spending a lot on their military, or that their military is really all that competent. THe reason why they are overtaking us is because all these big corporations that buy and sell our politicians get these awful trade treaties and move factories over there.
11 years? What happened? Ya get booted out?

Didn't Milt say that his sons were performing their service to America by helping him get elected?
You said: Didn't Milt say that his sons were performing their service to America by helping him get elected?

He did.

Liberals, like the above poster, would love nothing more than for America to be just another 3rd rate military like Europe so all of that money can be spent on "social programs". Should we be the world superpower? Should we influence other countries to buy our products at a premium while buying theirs for a low price? Do we want forward deployed forces in case of emergencies or disasters? Yes, humanitarian aid is first sent by the military and comes out of the military budget. No one likes to talk about that little tidbit. And don't forget China is building a large navy, much of it from intelligence they stole from us. To be a world power, you need a navy. Do you want China to be the world superpower? The Yuan the world currency?

I'd rather be the world superpower with the best military, which we still are but with sequestration we're losing that status. Better buy the Rosetta Stone for Mandarin.

I was in the Army for 11 years, thanks.

Exactly what has fighting wars in the middle east for the last 30 years gotten us? I mean besides thousands of dead soldiers and trillions in debt?

The reason the Chinese are overtaking us is not because they are spending a lot on their military, or that their military is really all that competent. THe reason why they are overtaking us is because all these big corporations that buy and sell our politicians get these awful trade treaties and move factories over there.
11 years? What happened? Ya get booted out?
Anyone who was in for 11 years shouldn't be mocked. How many years did you serve?

The us army has been down graded to about 500000 ground troops. Generals all generals and secratary
Of defenses are saying that's dangerous low. Heard them saying next big war isis could bring back draft if it goes from air campaign to ground invasion.

I'm usually one to blow this off and say it won't happen, but Obama and the sequester could without question make this reality very soon with next president.

What do you think?

Having spent 27 years in the Army and seeing the difference in soldiers which were drafted and those who volunteered, I would opt for the draft any time. Regardless of what our politicians say our force structure is not prepared to engage in a prolonged battle/war (one that lasts over 13 months. We do not have the backup force necessary to supply replacements for shortages in the front line units without going through the same turmoil we experienced in Iraq and Afghanistan. If we are going to engage in war a draft makes sense.

Great. I suppose now they'll be drafting gays and women who have managed to dodge that bullet until now. Won't win any wars but they'll have those uniforms looking sharp! Marchs will be so much better choriographed and have majoretts instead of those sweaty old guide-ons and I expect they'll ditch cadences for rousing chorses of Cum Ba Ya. I think Wal-Mart already carries a stuning line of pink camo. The French are gonna love us after all.

Great. I suppose now they'll be drafting gays and women who have managed to dodge that bullet until now. Won't win any wars but they'll have those uniforms looking sharp! Marchs will be so much better choriographed and have majoretts instead of those sweaty old guide-ons and I expect they'll ditch cadences for rousing chorses of Cum Ba Ya. I think Wal-Mart already carries a stuning line of pink camo. The French are gonna love us after all.
Does that fantasy have a point?

The us army has been down graded to about 500000 ground troops. Generals all generals and secratary
Of defenses are saying that's dangerous low. Heard them saying next big war isis could bring back draft if it goes from air campaign to ground invasion.

I'm usually one to blow this off and say it won't happen, but Obama and the sequester could without question make this reality very soon with next president.

What do you think?

Having spent 27 years in the Army and seeing the difference in soldiers which were drafted and those who volunteered, I would opt for the draft any time. Regardless of what our politicians say our force structure is not prepared to engage in a prolonged battle/war (one that lasts over 13 months. We do not have the backup force necessary to supply replacements for shortages in the front line units without going through the same turmoil we experienced in Iraq and Afghanistan. If we are going to engage in war a draft makes sense.

I enlisted in 1975. Most people were drafted when I enlisted because the draft hadn't been too long gone.
While I support the draft, to say those who volunteered weren't as good is just plain wrong. Who's better? Those forced to serve or those who want to serve?
I enlisted for three reasons:
1. I thought serving my country was considered a "higher calling".
2. I wanted more than stocking shelves and sweeping.
3. The GI bill
And enlisting was among the better things I ever did.
And the people. They were so great. One guy from Wyoming I will never forget. The first time he ever had shoes or clothes that weren't hand me downs. Didn't even know he needed glasses. So many stories like that. People who were able to escape extreme poverty while doing something to help the country.
What did Mitt Romney do? Besides moving jobs to China? None of his 5 sons served. Using every tax loophole ever created. Moving his money offshore. Destroying people's pensions. And he is now the "role model" for this Republican Party. The very people he screws over now support him and want to be like him.

A few points:

Abolition of the draft was one of the most irrational and destructive decisions ever made by the Federal government. Armies MUST be comprised of representatives of the ENTIRE population, ESPECIALLY the ones who don't want to be there. I guarantee if we still had a draft we would not have remained in these two endless, pointless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - the people would not have tolerated it. As it is now, nobody gives a fuck because "they are all volunteers, right?"

DoD could take a 25% haircut TOMORROW and not compromise our "national defense" in the least. What are we doing in GERMANY? Japan? Okinawa? Korea? Those countries have the resources to look out for their own interests. And despite years of trying to bring sanity to U.S. bases, we still have DOZENS of them that are utterly superfluous, and only exist because they are in the districts of influential congresspersons. CLOSE THEM DOWN!

I do not begrudge DoD spending a King's Ransom on the latest technology, but having worked in DoD procurement for 5 years (after 3 years in the Army), I know from first hand experience that a large percentage of it is wasteful or inappropriate.

Another problem with the all-voluntary military force is the bizarre concept that soldiers should be paid the same as civilians. People look at the military pay scales and think, "how can they live on that?"

WRONG! The military services provide housing, food, clothing, and medical care FOR FREE! It's all included. Military service, especially for the masses of soldiers doing the bulk of the fighting (and being prepared to fight) IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MARRIED LIFE! It is intended to be short-term (2-4 years max) for SINGLE ADULTS. And that's the way it would be if we had the fucking DRAFT! PFC's getting married is INSANE! They are the equivalent of dining room supervisors at McDonald's. But because "we" decided to eliminate the draft, we have to bribe people to remain in the service. It is insane.

A few points:

Abolition of the draft was one of the most irrational and destructive decisions ever made by the Federal government. Armies MUST be comprised of representatives of the ENTIRE population, ESPECIALLY the ones who don't want to be there. I guarantee if we still had a draft we would not have remained in these two endless, pointless wars in Iraq and Afghanistan - the people would not have tolerated it. As it is now, nobody gives a fuck because "they are all volunteers, right?"

DoD could take a 25% haircut TOMORROW and not compromise our "national defense" in the least. What are we doing in GERMANY? Japan? Okinawa? Korea? Those countries have the resources to look out for their own interests. And despite years of trying to bring sanity to U.S. bases, we still have DOZENS of them that are utterly superfluous, and only exist because they are in the districts of influential congresspersons. CLOSE THEM DOWN!

I do not begrudge DoD spending a King's Ransom on the latest technology, but having worked in DoD procurement for 5 years (after 3 years in the Army), I know from first hand experience that a large percentage of it is wasteful or inappropriate.

Another problem with the all-voluntary military force is the bizarre concept that soldiers should be paid the same as civilians. People look at the military pay scales and think, "how can they live on that?"

WRONG! The military services provide housing, food, clothing, and medical care FOR FREE! It's all included. Military service, especially for the masses of soldiers doing the bulk of the fighting (and being prepared to fight) IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MARRIED LIFE! It is intended to be short-term (2-4 years max) for SINGLE ADULTS. And that's the way it would be if we had the fucking DRAFT! PFC's getting married is INSANE! They are the equivalent of dining room supervisors at McDonald's. But because "we" decided to eliminate the draft, we have to bribe people to remain in the service. It is insane.

You can have a free Nation or you can have conscription. One rules out the other.

Does that fantasy have a point?
climax...

A few points:

You can have a free Nation or you can have conscription. One rules out the other.

Israel seems to be free, as does Switzerland

Just to name two

C'mon guys, do you really think the rich and/or powerful and their families are actually going to get drafted? If so I have this bridge for sale.

C'mon guys, do you really think the rich and/or powerful and their families are actually going to get drafted? If so I have this bridge for sale.
It could happen if the GOP base insisted they serve. Instead of being minions.

And yet, RW traitors are afraid of ISIS.

0053_defense-comparison-full.gif

What do you think?

Where are you getting these numbers from?

There are currently about 1.4 million active-duty members of the military right now, along with another 800,000 reservists.

"No state has an inherent right to survive through conscript troops and, in the long run, no state ever has. Roman matrons used to say to their sons: “Come back with your shield, or on it.” Later on this custom declined. So did Rome"
Robert Heinlein

Forum List

Back