Arkansas gov pledges to sign Religious Freedom bill

SassyIrishLass

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2009
Next up, Arkansas, this seems to be a trend

Arkansas Gov Pledges To Sign Religious Freedom Bill Despite Outcry

Fearing the law could act as a cloak for discrimination, LGBT advocates, civil rights leaders, and even Apple CEO Tim Cook are asking the governor to veto the bill.

In a crushing 24-7 vote, the Arkansas state Senate on Friday approved a religious freedom bill that critics warn will open the floodgates for discrimination against LGBT people.

The state House had passed a similar version of the bill in February, and after technical tweaks to mesh the Senate version, it will go to the desk of Gov. Asa Hutchinson.

“I will sign this bill as amended,” Gov. Hutchinson said in a statement. “This bill is designed to protect the religious freedoms of all Arkansans. It’s no different than legislation that has passed in 20 other states, from Illinois to Connecticut. Arkansas is open for business, and we recognize and respect the diversity of our culture and economy.”

Arkansas Gov Pledges To Sign Religious Freedom Bill Despite Outcry

I'm still trying to find where these new laws are different from the ones already in place in the other 19-20 states and why the sudden outrage while there wasn't when the others passed

Same sex marriage was imposed on these states against the will of the public. Gays pretended that they had popular support. This was the next logical and probable step. Surely no one thought that the majority was going to roll over and take it.

Its pretty sad that these kinds of bills need to be written and voted on as there is already a right to free exercise of religion written into the Constitution.

Same sex marriage was imposed on these states against the will of the public. Gays pretended that they had popular support. This was the next logical and probable step. Surely no one thought that the majority was going to roll over and take it.
Yeah, since it was that whey when they integrated schools...

I would not expect anything more from Arkansas.
I have a lot more respect for Arkansas now.
Evidently you've never lived there....
I was there for about 6 weeks in '82. Such a joy......:haha:
I thought the stories about the Clampets twas made up till I lived in the Ozarks.........

I showed up at Little Rock AFB which was actually in Jacksonville, AR and found out it was a dry county. What the heck? Since when were they still in the early 20th century there. :lol:

Forum List

Back