Arguing about Trump at Christmas

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
If you start to get into an argument about "Trump" at a family get-together, here a suggestion that might help to defuse some of the tension.

Try to break it down into bite-sized pieces. "Do you want to argue about Trump as a person and - say - a potential Sunday school Teacher?" That discussion can bring a lot of people together, because even the most ardent Trump supporters can have fun discussing his sexual escapades, his sophomoric tweets, his hair, and other potentially "fun" topics.

"Do you want to discuss Trump's record as a President, specifically whether he is doing (or trying to do) what he promised on the campaign trail?" This is also something that can be discussed rationally, It doesn't matter whether you LIKE what Trump is doing; is he doing what he said he would do - or doing his best to get it done?

"Do you want to discuss Trump's current legal problems?" Again, this is a subject that can be discussed rationally, and there is no actual conclusion, since the Mueller report is still a nothing, none of the other real and specious accusations have been adjudicated in any valid forum, and the laws are fairly well understood (by those who choose to try).

"Do you want to discuss Trump and immigration?" "...the claims that Trump is a 'racist'?" "...Trump and global warming?"

If these topics can be isolated, it might be possible to have a rational discussion.

But of course, one must always keep Ben Shapiro's Rule #1: Don't argue with someone who is incapable of being convinced.

If you start to get into an argument about "Trump" at a family get-together, here a suggestion that might help to defuse some of the tension.

Try to break it down into bite-sized pieces. "Do you want to argue about Trump as a person and - say - a potential Sunday school Teacher?" That discussion can bring a lot of people together, because even the most ardent Trump supporters can have fun discussing his sexual escapades, his sophomoric tweets, his hair, and other potentially "fun" topics.

"Do you want to discuss Trump's record as a President, specifically whether he is doing (or trying to do) what he promised on the campaign trail?" This is also something that can be discussed rationally, It doesn't matter whether you LIKE what Trump is doing; is he doing what he said he would do - or doing his best to get it done?

"Do you want to discuss Trump's current legal problems?" Again, this is a subject that can be discussed rationally, and there is no actual conclusion, since the Mueller report is still a nothing, none of the other real and specious accusations have been adjudicated in any valid forum, and the laws are fairly well understood (by those who choose to try).

"Do you want to discuss Trump and immigration?" "...the claims that Trump is a 'racist'?" "...Trump and global warming?"

If these topics can be isolated, it might be possible to have a rational discussion.

But of course, one must always keep Ben Shapiro's Rule #1: Don't argue with someone who is incapable of being convinced.
/---/ Apparently you don't have rabid Trump haters in your family. If you did, you know you'll never get past the words "Do you want to argue about Trump..." before you get your head ripped off by a screaming lunatic.

You could do all that, but I find it easier when drunk uncle goober staggers in with his MAGA hat and confederate battle flag to just tell him.

most people-especially on USMB--cannot be convinced to change their minds
plain and simple
every one thinks they are right --even when confronted with facts

You could do all that, but I find it easier when drunk uncle goober staggers in with his MAGA hat and confederate battle flag to just tell him.

/----/ With you as a relative, I can understand why Uncle Goober is drunk around you.
hysterical liberal.jpg

plain and simple

Actually that's more prevalent on the left than the right. When you bring up facts, the left goes into default mode which is race or discrimination.

plain and simple

Actually that's more prevalent on the left than the right. When you bring up facts, the left goes into default mode which is race or discrimination.
exactly--as proven here on USMB--you state facts and they say:
RACIST!!!!!!!!!!

I try to get them to agree to simple things like "you agree we should bring our jobs back from overseas, right?" Or "You decide who you let in your house don't you..so why shouldn't we do that as a country?" And the clincher: "If after spending almost $22T on social poverty programs over the last 50 years, why do we still have poverty?" Never say the "T word" and it's remarkable how many commie morons agree with what he's doing.

Why in the world would you bring the blob up when you're trying to enjoy yourself? Nod politely to anyone who is dumb enough to still support this pervert and enjoy the festivities.

Why in the world would you bring the blob up when you're trying to enjoy yourself? Nod politely to anyone who is dumb enough to still support this pervert and enjoy the festivities.

Ah, so now Trump is a "pervert"? I thought you commies didn't think anything is perverted..whatever blase blase, yada yada.

Ah, so now Trump is a "pervert"? I thought you commies didn't think anything is perverted..whatever blase blase, yada yada.
agree--they protest FOR:
criminals
deviant LGBTQs
illegals/crime/illegality/etc
etc--but protest AGAINST Trump........??
they don't make sense

There is only one leftist in my entire family and sadly it is my youngest daughter. There will be no political arguments with her as she has gone off the progressive deep end and no longer associates with us.

Anecdotal of course but I am experiencing first had how fucked up progressive values are and the regressive results they produce.

Just have the Trump banners ready at the table. Maybe a Trump themed table cover...

Those not fine with it can eat somewhere else... perhaps a other country to be specific. Trump is our president now.

Trump-Christmas.jpg

You'd better watch out, my fans are high
You'd better not tout those liberal lies
Santa Trump is our potus clown

He's making a huge list, he's gonna check it twice
He's gonna deport your naughty azz with ICE

His agencies are shill ,his cabniets on the take
He knows you follow twitter, to be sheep for his own sake
So, ya better not spout them liberal lies
He's got your number, i'm tellin' ya why

~S(w/apologies to all w/visions of dancing sugarplums)~

There is only one leftist in my entire family and sadly it is my youngest daughter. There will be no political arguments with her as she has gone off the progressive deep end and no longer associates with us.

Anecdotal of course but I am experiencing first had how fucked up progressive values are and the regressive results they produce.

My father and I often argue politics, but we would never allow it to get between our relationship. At the end of the arguments, we laugh and part ways.

My father was always a pretty conservative guy until he got older. He was a Marine vet who served in Korea. He always believed in working hard and taking care of himself and family. We didn't need government for anything.

As he aged he became more liberal out of fear. The Democrats constantly saying "The Republicans want to take this away from you, the Republicans want to take that away from you!" That never bothered him when he was able to work, but as an old man, he can't depend on that any longer.

Forum List

Back