Are we in an era of living in a "Movie Desert"?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Food deserts. They are real and cause dramatic health issues from everyone who loves in one.
It is an area where there is little to no availability of quality/fresh food. Only junk food and highly processed crap.

Are we now living in an era where there is little, almost no availability of quality movies?
I have always liked movies. And all through the 80s - 2010s I didn't have much of a problem finding one to watch.
Really good movies - maybe 10 or so every year, good movies dozens and dozens a year.
Now? REALLY good movies - what... 3 or 4 if your lucky? Good movies....what... 10 or 15 for the whole year?
And then there is crap, crap and more crap. Regurgitated shit films. Retreads, where they take a past successful movie and try to remake it with woke sympathies.
It is HARD to find a good movie you haven't seen today. - HARD.

And the shit of it? The movie industry blames you.

Food deserts. They are real and cause dramatic health issues from everyone who loves in one.
It is an area where there is little to no availability of quality/fresh food. Only junk food and highly processed crap.

Are we now living in an era where there is little, almost no availability of quality movies?
I have always liked movies. And all through the 80s - 2010s I didn't have much of a problem finding one to watch.
Really good movies - maybe 10 or so every year, good movies dozens and dozens a year.
Now? REALLY good movies - what... 3 or 4 if your lucky? Good movies....what... 10 or 15 for the whole year?
And then there is crap, crap and more crap. Regurgitated shit films. Retreads, where they take a past successful movie and try to remake it with woke sympathies.

There a ton’s of good movies. I have a Regal subscription and hit a few a month. I recommend it and you can start seeing that there are lots of them. My guess is the biggest change is you, not the movies. When you were young and open to new things you went to movies and were entertained. I’d guess now that you are older you are set in your ways and only like the formula of a 1980s movie that you experienced as a youth. Thats on you my friend.

There a ton’s of good movies. I have a Regal subscription and hit a few a month. I recommend it and you can start seeing that there are lots of them. My guess is the biggest change is you, not the movies. When you were young and open to new things you went to movies and were entertained. I’d guess now that you are older you are set in your ways and only like the formula of a 1980s movie that you experienced as a youth. Thats on you my friend.
No

Off the top of my head..

Good movies I’ve seen this year:
BlackBerry
Dumb Money
Spider-Man Across the Universe
The Creator
A Haunting in Venice
Oppenheimer
The Deepest Breath
Mission Impossible 7000 (or whatever number it was)
Sisu
John Wick 4(000)

Decent movies I’ve seen this year:
Barbie
Dungeon and Dragons
Cocaine Bear
Knock at the Cabin
Plane
Talk to me

Terrible ones:
Freelance
Retribution

Off the top of my head..

Good movies I’ve seen this year:
BlackBerry
Dumb Money
Spider-Man Across the Universe
The Creator
A Haunting in Venice
Oppenheimer
The Deepest Breath
Mission Impossible 7000 (or whatever number it was)
Sisu
John Wick 4(000)

Decent movies I’ve seen this year:
Barbie
Dungeon and Dragons
Cocaine Bear
Knock at the Cabin
Plane
Talk to me

Terrible ones:
Freelance
Retribution

Out of your first 10 - I would agree with 4.

You should check out South Korea's cinema. You have no idea what you are missing.

I have posted a lot of reviews of their movies on this forum over the years.

If you can get past the stigma of reading subtitles, you will be richly rewarded.

Do NOT adjust your settings for English dubbing. Dubbing sucks. Go with the subtitles and hear the original voices of the actors.

Seriously. South Korean movies are far, far superior to the drek Hollywood is putting out these days.

You should check out South Korea's cinema. You have no idea what you are missing.

I have posted a lot of reviews of their movies on this forum over the years.

If you can get past the stigma of reading subtitles, you will be richly rewarded.

Do NOT adjust your settings for English dubbing. Dubbing sucks. Go with the subtitles and hear the original voices of the actors.

Seriously. South Korean movies are far, far superior to the drek Hollywood is putting out these days.
Parasite was a super good movie. Loved that.
And ditto on dubbing, dubbing is way too distracting.

We need a federal program to supplement communities that are entertainment deprived with free movie theaters.

Parasite was a super good movie. Loved that.
And ditto on dubbing, dubbing is way too distracting.
Copying and pasting myself from another topic:

Korean dramas are amazing.

Not K-dramas. Those are nothing but soap operas. I mean thrillers and spy movies and whatnot. Though they also make great horror movies, Train To Busan being an outstanding example even though I normally avoid zombie movies.

If you want to see some good examples of South Korean cinema, check out Old Boy. The original, not the Spike Lee remake disaster. The director makes the best revenge movies you will ever see. Really twisted shit.

Then check out The Chaser. It's also being remade into an American version, but it will probably suck as much as the remake of Old Boy.

Another of my favorites is Kung Fu Hustle. One of the best comedies ever made. It's not Korean, though. It's a Hong Kong production.

The South Koreans have no qualms about breaking barriers and taboos. And unlike American movies where the hero can be shot, stabbed, and punched three hundred times, walk through an explosion, and then scale tall buildings without even breathing hard or his shirt coming untucked, Korean movies are more realistic.

The hero gets winded, he gets tired, he limps, he's disheveled, he fucking hurts. So when his relentlessness pushes him to keep going, you can feel every ache and pain he is going through. And a great number of their movies have brutally sad endings. There's no happy resolution where the good guys walk into the sunset singing kumbaya.

Last edited:
As I mentioned, most K-dramas are horrible. A lot of them are period pieces, but they almost always revolve around boy-meets-girl sappy crap. I can't stand them.

There is one K-drama which is exceptional. It may not be to everyone's taste, though. I had to watch a lot of Korean movies to absorb the subtle cultural influences in their cinema before I could fully grasp the complexities of the Stranger series.

The plot and the various roles and relationships of the characters are very complicated and intricate, but worth the effort.

The main character is played by an actor who is huge in South Korea.

The show is two seasons, so far, but there is an outcry for a third. I don't know if that would be wise, though. Too many shows go one season too far.

There is a Netflix series called The Stranger which makes it hard to search and find the Korean show. They are unrelated.

Stranger is on Netflix.

(Edited to correct my post to say the show is right now on Netflix)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back