Are We Alone in the Universe?

Feb 9, 2011
Las Cruces, NM
Before I start this, this is my personal only opinion of studying this topic for over 35 years now. And though, off record, over 89% of NASA people and affiliated enterprises agree also with what follows, this is strictly my own take and stand at this time on this topic.

First, you must get very familiar with this link and data below, concerning the Drake Equation. It is the most compelling math tool and anyone can use it and it is fabulous for this subject. Here it is:

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.htm

Ok, for me and over this 36 years interfacing with NASA and assorted agencies, I have come to the conclusion then, and now, that our universe, or closer in, our Galaxy, is host to lifeforms on a level of Star Trek-The Next Generation. I think it is a swarm of life, intelligent and everything in between.

ST-TNG, the federation, is 8000 Light Years (LYs) in diameter, and look at the life that is entailed in that fictional quadrant of our galaxy. I truly feel that whole world of grand fiction will play out in the near future to not only be true, but more so, conservative by numbers.

Here's why:

1. Our sun is a class C type star and is found to be the most common star type in the cosmos.

2. These star types tend to be the most stable and longest lived.

3. They last upwards of 6 billion years.

4. They have multiple planets, with at least one in the "Goldilocks Zone", where liquid water is present on the surface, thus the right distance from the home star.

5. And on carbon based planets, this is the condition for life, as we know it.

Further, like the movie, "Start Trek: First Contact", we are going to leave our home place. We will do so when we have developed something that is SoL+ or, a WARP drive if you will. From that, we are free.

And if we are free to explore out beyond our local solar neighborhood, we would obviously be able to reach out to other Class C worlds, for no other reason than to see if we are right.

And, aside from the darker psychopaths that post on all these myriad of boards to the contrary, NASA and all other space agencies around the planet is pushing the technology to "see" out there what is there. And it reasons well, if we are not alone, others out there are doing the same, looking back.

If we don't "see" each other at some point, or we get out there and then run into someone else, the treasure chest is open.

So, categorically, WE ARE NOT ALONE!!

In the not so near future, in our lifetimes even, we are going to get a message, anything, that will simply be "Hello. Are you there?"

Behold.

Comments encouraged greatly.

Robert

Last edited:
I have no math or science skills to stand on, Robert, but if I were betting, I'd put $5 on "we are alone". It is certainly possible we are not, but what are the odds that if things are as you describe (no doubt you're correct), the Earth is the most advanced planet and the occupants of none of the others have bothered to reach out and touch us?

I view ET the same way I do ghosts: could be, but doesn't seem terribly likely.

BTW, is there or isn't there evidence of life on Mars in the distant past?

• Banned
I have no math or science skills to stand on, Robert, but if I were betting, I'd put $5 on "we are alone". It is certainly possible we are not, but what are the odds that if things are as you describe (no doubt you're correct), the Earth is the most advanced planet and the occupants of none of the others have bothered to reach out and touch us?

We do not know if there has been life on Mars in the past.......yet.

There was a time only 455 years ago, that the world in a central part of the European continent felt the Earth was flat. Anyone who suggested otherwise were severely punished.

I think the Drake Formula works best if you suggest even 5 for a start and see what happens.

The conditions for developed life is great. If it happened here, it can happen elsewhere, everything else on balance on what we are rapidly learning and seeing.

John 10:16: "I have sheep not of this fold."

Robert

Last edited:
When I followed the link provided by Robert....

The page you are looking for:

/Mysterious/Topics/SETI/drake_equation.htm

could not be found.

This certainly is a mystery. It could have disappeared into the Bermuda Triangle or been abducted by aliens.

It's also possible the link you typed in or came from has a typo.

We have been notified and will attempt the solve the mystery. In the meantime please feel free to explore some of our other mysteries.

Sincerely,

Bradley Keyes

Whoever Bradley Keyes is, he's a damned funny guy.

There was a time only 455 years ago, that the world in a central part of the European continent felt the Earth was flat. Anyone who suggested otherwise were severely punished.

I think the Drake Formula works best if you suggest even 5 for a start and see what happens.

The conditions for developed life is great. If it happened here, it can happen elsewhere, everything else on balance on what we are rapidly learning and seeing.

Robert

Is there some principle in science that if a thing could happen, it will/more than likely will? I'm not asking in a snotty way...I'm wondering why it is not just as likely that life on Earth is some weird fluke that has not been repeated?

Isn't it also true that if a thing could happen, it may not?

If I find a rare wildflower in the woods beside my house, does that raise the odds that other woods with similar micro-ecosystems will also contain that flower?

Robert

Is there some principle in science that if a thing could happen, it will/more than likely will? I'm not asking in a snotty way...I'm wondering why it is not just as likely that life on Earth is some weird fluke that has not been repeated?

Isn't it also true that if a thing could happen, it may not?

If I find a rare wildflower in the woods beside my house, does that raise the odds that other woods with similar micro-ecosystems will also contain that flower?

It is called "The Serendipity of Chance". It is part of the Drake Formula as well. The pattern in life is a conundrum: All things pattern more than once, different by detail in each. Unique, yet, multitudes.

Since there are upwards of 120,000,000,000 (120 billion) stars in our galaxy alone, and 68% of them are Class C like our sun, it suggest heavily that life at the 4 billion year mark here, has happened elsewhere.

Robert

again, the distance factor means it takes a very long time for those signals to get from point A to point B
and radio waves do not move at the speed of light
i dont remember how far away the closes C class star is from us, but i think its over 100 LY

If I were ET, and had dropped by earth, I wouldn't bother contacting us. I'd sit up there and laugh at the antics of such a planet full of idiots.

again, the distance factor means it takes a very long time for those signals to get from point A to point B
i dont remember how far away the closes C class star is from us, but i think its over 100 LY

Radio travels at the speed of light in space.

But I agree that the sheer distance such communication has to travel is silly long and takes forever.

Then why have we not been contacted?

Distance. Thus, Time.

At the Speed of Light it would take 100,000 years for light to traverse our Galaxy. We travel in space, manned, %0.000000004 the speed of light. Until we develop a faster than light drive, we are marooned here.

Same for other civilizations unless they are ahead of us in development.

Robert

CV22.34, at 27 LY distant.

Robert

Forum List

Back