Are Sex Offender Registries Unconstitutional?

Until progressives determined that homosexuality was normal, and sex crimes were just good healthy fun, rape was a capital crime in many states..and raping children was ALWAYS a capital crime.

Hold the phone for second, you think since gays started becoming more mainstream society in that sex crimes such as rape and pedophelia have become more acceptable in our society? I hope I am misunderstanding your position because it is patently absurd if I am not.
About the time gay rights became a big issue in the late '60's, capital punishment for rape and pedophilia began to be replaced with lesser punishments.

You can connect the dots.

I am not sure there are many dots to connect to be honest. Gays have only become socially acceptable in mainstream society recently. Rape and pedophelia have always been abhorrent in mainstream society. To claim that the gay rights movement of the 60's and the lessening punishments for rape or pedophelia have any correlation is silly
I hate to tell you dude, but I have already seen posters advocating lowering age of consent to 12.

Until progressives determined that homosexuality was normal, and sex crimes were just good healthy fun, rape was a capital crime in many states..and raping children was ALWAYS a capital crime.

Hold the phone for second, you think since gays started becoming more mainstream society in that sex crimes such as rape and pedophelia have become more acceptable in our society? I hope I am misunderstanding your position because it is patently absurd if I am not.
About the time gay rights became a big issue in the late '60's, capital punishment for rape and pedophilia began to be replaced with lesser punishments.

You can connect the dots.

I am not sure there are many dots to connect to be honest. Gays have only become socially acceptable in mainstream society recently. Rape and pedophelia have always been abhorrent in mainstream society. To claim that the gay rights movement of the 60's and the lessening punishments for rape or pedophelia have any correlation is silly
I hate to tell you dude, but I have already seen posters advocating lowering age of consent to 12.

I am willing to bet the farm they are not anywhere near the realm of mainstream society. I've seen posters advocate removing religious liberties of Muslim Americans but that in no way makes them mainstream either.

Yes but we're not supposed to notice.

Take notice because those people live on the far margins of society. They belong in the same idiotic category of those that believe the Jews control the media and that Bush knew of 9/11 beforehand but refuses to act. Kooky.

I so love people who defend all those poor pedophiles.

Sometimes, everyone forgets just how low a form of human filth you are. But eventually, you always remind us. Anyways, enjoy burning in hell for eternity. With a soul as fetid and leprous as yours, there's no turning back for you now.

Let's get back to the point. Certain authoritarian extremists in our society support a lifetime banishment sentence for even public urination convictions. To excuse their authoritarianism fetish, they lie on an epic scale and pretend that every sex offense is a case of child rape. Like they're doing in this thread. That's in addition to deliberately ignoring all the actual data that shows recidivism for sex crimes is extremely low.

Why they call for mob action, I don't know. Mobs are just ugly things, populated by hysterical people.

Some violent and sexual offenses have further penalties after you get out of prison. Namely controlling where you can live, where you can work, etc. Seems like a violation of due process to impose what amounts to a sentence after you've served your prison one. If you wanna control where a child rapist can live why not just keep them in prison instead? Ultimate in control and perfectly constitutional.

ACLU says offender registry unconstitutional CJOnline.com

ACLU says offender registry unconstitutional
Registry includes sex offenders, people convicted of certain violent crimes
Posted: August 12, 2014
Yup. I agree. Sex offenders that are really offenders do not get better. Change the law and lock them up forever. Telling someone that has legally served their prison term where they can live and what they can do is unconstitutional. It is a failure on the part of the Government, a refusal to create effective laws.

Recitivism rate's over 90% for sex crimes. So I can see the logic of wanting to control them after prison, but I htink keeping them in prison makes more sense. Kick out the petty drug offenders and other non-violent types and keep sex criminals and violent offenders in for longer.
I think giving them due process and a date with a needle works better.

Some violent and sexual offenses have further penalties after you get out of prison. Namely controlling where you can live, where you can work, etc. Seems like a violation of due process to impose what amounts to a sentence after you've served your prison one. If you wanna control where a child rapist can live why not just keep them in prison instead? Ultimate in control and perfectly constitutional.

The ACLU is, as usual, wrong. Pedophilia is not curable.

Dunno the ACLU's position, but nothing in the article's proposing it's curable.

Yup. I agree. Sex offenders that are really offenders do not get better. Change the law and lock them up forever. Telling someone that has legally served their prison term where they can live and what they can do is unconstitutional. It is a failure on the part of the Government, a refusal to create effective laws.

Recitivism rate's over 90% for sex crimes. So I can see the logic of wanting to control them after prison, but I htink keeping them in prison makes more sense. Kick out the petty drug offenders and other non-violent types and keep sex criminals and violent offenders in for longer.

Did you not say that your family is LEO?

Ya, Grandfather was a career cop retiring as Chief, ancestor's Pat Garett (shot Billy the Kid supposedly, some historical debate about it,) and some cousins I don't know well are cops.

The Force runs strong in my family. ;)

Ya, Grandfather was a career cop retiring as Chief, ancestor's Pat Garett (shot Billy the Kid supposedly, some historical debate about it,) and some cousins I don't know well are cops.

You might want to ask just how many "petty drug offenders" go to prison. You aren't going to prison for smoking a joint on the stoop. You have to earn the privilege. There is a history behind them.

The case that the ACLU is using is about retroactive application for the law as it stands.

If people really feel that the registry is unfair and that people are shortchanged then they might want to have a look at the laws in their state. Does urinating in a public place constitute a sex offense? People might want to alter that. If you have some nonsense like the following:
Wilson released after two years behind bars for teen sex conviction - CNN.com

Then you have a problem.

This:
Florida becomes the harshest state for sex offenders Al Jazeera America

Is a problem.

Holding people indefinitely is a problem.

I have come across stats that say the numbers are as low as 4% commit new offenses and as high as 40% within a year after release. What that tells me is that you have between 4% and 40% that were not monitored or had found ways to circumvent that monitoring after release. That would be an area of concern and it is one that is dictated by politics and funding.

I think that until we can have reasonable laws and discussions that the sex registry is quite useful. It isn't an all or nothing game. It doesn't have to be.

I so love people who defend all those poor pedophiles.

Sometimes, everyone forgets just how low a form of human filth you are. But eventually, you always remind us. Anyways, enjoy burning in hell for eternity. With a soul as fetid and leprous as yours, there's no turning back for you now.

Let's get back to the point. Certain authoritarian extremists in our society support a lifetime banishment sentence for even public urination convictions. To excuse their authoritarianism fetish, they lie on an epic scale and pretend that every sex offense is a case of child rape. Like they're doing in this thread. That's in addition to deliberately ignoring all the actual data that shows recidivism for sex crimes is extremely low.

Why they call for mob action, I don't know. Mobs are just ugly things, populated by hysterical people.

The recidivism rates for pedophilia are 100%. That is a fact. Rapists do it for the sense of power and domination, thus their recidivism rates are likewise extremely high. I have learned something else about you today, you support sexual deviants and know as much about their criminal behavior as you do about science in general. You are quite a representative for your group mammy, quite a representative:cuckoo::cuckoo::cuckoo:

How can there be a due process issue if it is part of the punishment for the crime they have been convicted of? I can see putting people on the registry who were convicted before the law went in place being unconstitutional as ex post facto, but if its on the books before a persons trial, I don't see the constitutional issue.

I do see a problem where they have made the term "sex offender" overly broad.

Most people don't know or don't give a damn that murderers and persons guilty of manslaughter get out of prison every day. Why not keep tabs on them? Aren't drug sellers a danger to society?

Most people don't know or don't give a damn that murderers and persons guilty of manslaughter get out of prison every day. Why not keep tabs on them? Aren't drug sellers a danger to society?

You can-depending on the state. Go to your department of corrections: West Virginia Division of Corrections for an inmate search . It will carry the individual through parole. Some states you can request to be notified when that individual is released. Other states have a violent offender registry (obviously different due to the state).

Illinois:
Illinois Compiled Statutes (730 ILCS 154/85 (a) and (b)) mandate that the Illinois State Police ("ISP") establish and maintain a statewide Murderer and Violent Offender Against Youth Database, accessible on the Internet, identifying violent offenders against youth who have been convicted of certain offenses and/or crimes against children and must register as a Violent Offender Against Youth.

Persons required to register as Violent Offender Against Youths are persons who have been convicted of an offense listed in Illinois Compiled Statutes 730 ILCS 154/5 when such charge results in the finding the offense was not sexually motivated and in the finding one of the following:

(a) A conviction for the commission of the offense or attempt to commit the offense, (b) A finding of not guilty by reason of insanity of committing the offense or attempting to commit the offense, or (c) A finding not resulting in an acquittal at a hearing for the alleged commission or attempted commission of the offense.

The Violent Offender Against Youth Registry was created in response to the Illinois Legislature's determination to facilitate access to publicly available information about persons convicted of certain offenses against youth. ISP has not considered or assessed the specific risk of re-offense with regard to any individual prior to his or her inclusion on this Registry and has made no determination that any individual included in the Registry is currently dangerous. Individuals included on the Registry are included solely by virtue of their conviction record, Illinois state law and proof the offense was not sexually motivated. The primary purpose of providing this information is to make the information easily available and accessible, not to warn about any specific individuals.
Illinois State Police Murderer Violent Offender Against Youth Registry Home

Montana:
Sexual or Violent Offender Registry - Montana Department of Justice - Home Page

Oklahoma:
http://vors.doc.state.ok.us/svor/f?p=101:1:3627056962178023:::::

Last edited:
People who rob stores and sell drugs aren't typically targeting and injuring children.

How can there be a due process issue if it is part of the punishment for the crime they have been convicted of? I can see putting people on the registry who were convicted before the law went in place being unconstitutional as ex post facto, but if its on the books before a persons trial, I don't see the constitutional issue.

How can there be a due process issue if it is part of the punishment for the crime they have been convicted of?

Suppose a law was enacted that said: "Anyone guilty of shoplifting shall be executed." The death penalty would then be part of the punishment for the crime. You wouldn't see a Constitutional issue here - at least several of them?

How can there be a due process issue if it is part of the punishment for the crime they have been convicted of?

Suppose a law was enacted that said: "Anyone guilty of shoplifting shall be executed." The death penalty would then be part of the punishment for the crime. You wouldn't see a Constitutional issue here - at least several of them?

The death penalty for shop lifting would be cruel and unusual.

Letting your neighbors know you've been convicted of a sex crime is neither.

People who rob stores and sell drugs aren't typically targeting and injuring children.
It's a no-brainer that homosexual predators seek jobs that involve supervision of young boys. When the Boy Scouts of America won a decision that allowed them to discriminate against hiring overt homosexuals the radical left was outraged. It seems that homosexual rights trumped the safety of young boys and the Boy Scouts were the bad guys. If society wants to protect children from injuries the freaking left wing hypocrites have to consider every physical and psychological threat to children.

Forum List

Back