Are Sex Offender Registries Unconstitutional?

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Some violent and sexual offenses have further penalties after you get out of prison. Namely controlling where you can live, where you can work, etc. Seems like a violation of due process to impose what amounts to a sentence after you've served your prison one. If you wanna control where a child rapist can live why not just keep them in prison instead? Ultimate in control and perfectly constitutional.

ACLU says offender registry unconstitutional CJOnline.com

ACLU says offender registry unconstitutional
Registry includes sex offenders, people convicted of certain violent crimes
Posted: August 12, 2014

Some violent and sexual offenses have further penalties after you get out of prison. Namely controlling where you can live, where you can work, etc. Seems like a violation of due process to impose what amounts to a sentence after you've served your prison one. If you wanna control where a child rapist can live why not just keep them in prison instead? Ultimate in control and perfectly constitutional.

Yup. I agree. Sex offenders that are really offenders do not get better. Change the law and lock them up forever. Telling someone that has legally served their prison term where they can live and what they can do is unconstitutional. It is a failure on the part of the Government, a refusal to create effective laws.

Yup. I agree. Sex offenders that are really offenders do not get better. Change the law and lock them up forever. Telling someone that has legally served their prison term where they can live and what they can do is unconstitutional. It is a failure on the part of the Government, a refusal to create effective laws.

Recitivism rate's over 90% for sex crimes. So I can see the logic of wanting to control them after prison, but I htink keeping them in prison makes more sense. Kick out the petty drug offenders and other non-violent types and keep sex criminals and violent offenders in for longer.

They should be grateful they still have the right to live. :D

Sex offender registration does not keep anyone from living or working anywhere.
The communities do that.

I say chemically castrate the fuckers and then don't worry about them.

They should be grateful they still have the right to live. :D

One or more states is after my own heart and castrates child rapists if the victim was under 12. Think just chemically though. I'm for the dull spoon method. If ya execute them they don't suffer any more. I want emt osuffer the rest of their lives. Give em a good whack in the knees too for knee pain rest of their lives. While I'm wishing, I want a pony. Not sure why but I want one. :)

Surgically disembowel and remove their gonads.

If they dare strike again, remove the head and hands.

Too much trouble and money. Ask for a volunteer to do it with a rusty spoon infected with ebola. Hell I'll do it for nothing more than guarantee of immunity from prosecution. And a spacesuit. :)

The alternative is to give them the death penalty or life sentences.

So let them choose. They can live out of prison, hobbled by the registry...or they can remain in prison, where the only people they violate are adults.

You'd think so. Maybe technically it's one of those little changes they made like Patriot Act suspended the law as most of us think of it for this particular situation? In theory though I'd agree it is, or should be unconstitutional.

Too much trouble and money. Ask for a volunteer to do it with a rusty spoon infected with ebola. Hell I'll do it for nothing more than guarantee of immunity from prosecution. And a spacesuit. :)

From what? He nervously asked.

Until progressives determined that homosexuality was normal, and sex crimes were just good healthy fun, rape was a capital crime in many states..and raping children was ALWAYS a capital crime.

From what? He nervously asked.

Removing child rapists' sexual organs with a dull spoon as opposed to the bother of surgery. :)

Until progressives determined that homosexuality was normal, and sex crimes were just good healthy fun, rape was a capital crime in many states..and raping children was ALWAYS a capital crime.

No progressive asserts a sex crime is good healthy fun.

Can still be executed for aggravted rapes here in Missouri. Especially young victims, violence-involved, or other depraved conditions.

Had a horrible incident here a year or so ago right here in town where a little girl was grabbed off the street in broad daylight in front of witnesses and the rest I don't wanna write and summon to mind. Short n skinny, her murderer is eligible for the death penalty.

I hate to say it but I'm inclined to agree. If a person paid his debit to society and completes a length of time on parole he should be free to go with certain restrictions on purchasing firearms and voting. If a sex offender is deemed to be a danger to society then keep him in freaking prison.

Sorry to interrupt the mob rage with actual data, but back in the real world, recidivism rates for sex offenses are extremely low, the lowest rate for any type of crime except murder.

This DOJ study puts the rate at 5.3%. The rates for other felonies are more like 60%.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsorp94.pdf

Another study, showing much the same.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rpr94.pdf

Yes, I know that won't be popular. People do so love their mob rage. If it comforts you, sex offenders do commit non-sex crimes at a pretty good rate, so you can hate them for that.

Oh, don't worry about men falsely accused of child abuse during a divorce by a vindictive spouse, and who were forced to plea to a lesser charge to avoid life in prison. That never happens. So hate them too.

And that guy convicted of public urination who got on the list? Definitely hate him. He needs castration. As does the 18-year-old who had sex with his 15-year-old girlfriend.

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt the mob rage with actual data, but back in the real world, recidivism rates for sex offenses are extremely low, the lowest rate for any type of crime except murder.

This DOJ study puts the rate at 5.3%. The rates for other felonies are more like 60%.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsorp94.pdf

Another study, showing much the same.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rpr94.pdf

Yes, I know that won't be popular. People do so love their mob rage. If it comforts you, sex offenders do commit non-sex crimes at a pretty good rate, so you can hate them for that.

Oh, don't worry about men falsely accused of child abuse during a divorce by a vindictive spouse, and who were forced to plea to a lesser charge to avoid life in prison. That never happens. So hate them too.

And that guy convicted of public urination who got on the list? Definitely hate him. He needs castration. As does the 18-year-old who had sex with his 15-year-old girlfriend.

I so love people who defend all those poor pedophiles.

Forum List

Back