Are "Sanctuary cities" constitutional?

Discussion in 'Immigration/Illegal Immigration' started by MaryL, Dec 8, 2019.

1. MaryL

MaryL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,575
    An honest question. I am no legal scholar, but since this is still a nation of laws, and NOBODY is above the laws (Look at the Trump Impeachment kerfuffle) then it begs the question. When local authorities give illegal aliens sanctuary from federal law without consent of the voter and ignore our wishes, doesn't that violate our compact with our elected government?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bluzman61

bluzman61 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    I believe they AREN'T. I don't have a link to verify this, but I believe I've read that they AREN'T constitutional.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Weatherman2020

Weatherman2020 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72,551
    Local law cannot override Federal laws. I hope after the election Trump starts having Mayors arrested.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. deannalw

deannalw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,017

Starting with that bag of waste matter Gavin Newsome.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 1
  5. Oddball

Oddball Unobtanium Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +44,602
    Normally, my heart is like an alligator when someone tells the feds to shove it up their asses.

But in this case, real violent criminals are being spirited away out the back doors of courthouses, for no better reason that if they're sent to jail for their crimes they will then be deported.

Forget constitutional, sanctuary cities are aiding and abetting violent crime....Shit needs to be brought to a halt.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  6. bluzman61

bluzman61 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    Yep. A liberal friend of mine, a couple days ago, actually said he thought Newsom(e) would make a good president. I held my tongue and didn't respond to this. It's the only way we can remain friends.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. deannalw

deannalw Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,017

If my friend is dumb enough to say something like that to me, they can stand around a bit while I sandblast their face with words of my own. :)

• Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. MaryL

MaryL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,575
    This topic amazes me. I have seen entire industries and communities that used to be truly diverse, just vanish. And done so without our consent. Which begs the issue.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. bluzman61

bluzman61 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,054
    My liberal friend is hopelessly brainwashed. We had agreed some time ago that we would NOT talk politics. He slips up occasionally and likes to make fun of our president. When he does this I just ignore him and move him on to the next topic. It's frustrating because he's brilliant concerning some topics, but is SO DAMNED STUPID and brainwashed when it comes to politics.

10. eagle1462010

eagle1462010 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29,649
    Sanctuary Cities and Law Enforcement

Are Sanctuary Cities Constitutional?
    In Printz v. United States, the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government cannot force state or local officials to enforce federal law.

Therefore, sanctuary cities are constitutional. The Constitution does not require local law enforcement agencies to help deport undocumented immigrants.

That’s the federal government’s job. However, some experts point out that the constitution may not protect cities and counties that refuse to share information with the federal government.

In Reno v. Condon, the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government could regulate states sharing people’s personal information.

In the decision, Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist wrote that the law in question did not violate the principles of federalism because it didn’t “require state officials to assist in the enforcement of federal statutes regulating private individuals.”

So the federal government can’t force local law enforcement agencies to detain undocumented immigrants. But it may be able to require them to share information about immigrants so federal officials can enforce immigration laws.

The LOOPHOLE of the Sanctuary cities is the 4th Amendment. And the LOOPHOLE is the Sanctuary city Ordering the police there NOT to hold illegals there until ICE can get a Warrant and take custody of the prisoner. The Legal eagles of Sanctuary have figured out that they can say that is holding a person without a charged crime.........BECAUSE ICE HASN'T ISSUED A WARRANT YET.

And POOF ........THEY ARE GONE.

• Informative Informative x 4