Are "Sanctuary cities" constitutional?

MaryL

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 2011
Midwestern U.S.
An honest question. I am no legal scholar, but since this is still a nation of laws, and NOBODY is above the laws (Look at the Trump Impeachment kerfuffle) then it begs the question. When local authorities give illegal aliens sanctuary from federal law without consent of the voter and ignore our wishes, doesn't that violate our compact with our elected government?

An honest question. I am no legal scholar, but since this is still a nation of laws, and NOBODY is above the laws (Look at the Trump Impeachment kerfuffle) then it begs the question. When local authorities give illegal aliens sanctuary from federal law without consent of the voter and ignore our wishes, doesn't that violate our compact with our elected government?
I believe they AREN'T. I don't have a link to verify this, but I believe I've read that they AREN'T constitutional.

Local law cannot override Federal laws. I hope after the election Trump starts having Mayors arrested.

Local law cannot override Federal laws. I hope after the election Trump starts having Mayors arrested.

Starting with that bag of waste matter Gavin Newsome.

Normally, my heart is like an alligator when someone tells the feds to shove it up their asses.

But in this case, real violent criminals are being spirited away out the back doors of courthouses, for no better reason that if they're sent to jail for their crimes they will then be deported.

Forget constitutional, sanctuary cities are aiding and abetting violent crime....Shit needs to be brought to a halt.

Yep. A liberal friend of mine, a couple days ago, actually said he thought Newsom(e) would make a good president. I held my tongue and didn't respond to this. It's the only way we can remain friends.

Yep. A liberal friend of mine, a couple days ago, actually said he thought Newsom(e) would make a good president. I held my tongue and didn't respond to this. It's the only way we can remain friends.

If my friend is dumb enough to say something like that to me, they can stand around a bit while I sandblast their face with words of my own. :)

This topic amazes me. I have seen entire industries and communities that used to be truly diverse, just vanish. And done so without our consent. Which begs the issue.

If my friend is dumb enough to say something like that to me, they can stand around a bit while I sandblast their face with words of my own. :)
My liberal friend is hopelessly brainwashed. We had agreed some time ago that we would NOT talk politics. He slips up occasionally and likes to make fun of our president. When he does this I just ignore him and move him on to the next topic. It's frustrating because he's brilliant concerning some topics, but is SO DAMNED STUPID and brainwashed when it comes to politics.

Sanctuary Cities and Law Enforcement

Are Sanctuary Cities Constitutional?
In Printz v. United States, the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government cannot force state or local officials to enforce federal law.

Therefore, sanctuary cities are constitutional. The Constitution does not require local law enforcement agencies to help deport undocumented immigrants.

That’s the federal government’s job. However, some experts point out that the constitution may not protect cities and counties that refuse to share information with the federal government.

In Reno v. Condon, the Supreme Court ruled that the federal government could regulate states sharing people’s personal information.

In the decision, Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist wrote that the law in question did not violate the principles of federalism because it didn’t “require state officials to assist in the enforcement of federal statutes regulating private individuals.”

So the federal government can’t force local law enforcement agencies to detain undocumented immigrants. But it may be able to require them to share information about immigrants so federal officials can enforce immigration laws.

The LOOPHOLE of the Sanctuary cities is the 4th Amendment. And the LOOPHOLE is the Sanctuary city Ordering the police there NOT to hold illegals there until ICE can get a Warrant and take custody of the prisoner. The Legal eagles of Sanctuary have figured out that they can say that is holding a person without a charged crime.........BECAUSE ICE HASN'T ISSUED A WARRANT YET.

And POOF ........THEY ARE GONE.

ICE, and all federal LE agencies enforce Federal Laws. Local Police/Sheriff agencies do not have the authority to enforce Federal Laws. The can do so as a courtesy, but the FEDS expect local gov't taxpayers and local gov't agencies to enforce Federal law, and to keep them in custody at the expense of the local government.

This turf war has been on going for decades.

This topic amazes me. I have seen entire industries and communities that used to be truly diverse, just vanish. And done so without our consent. Which begs the issue.

As i have as well Mary

What we have is a 10ther issue

IIRC, it's been to the SCOTUS

A very hot topic indeed!

~S~

Most of you have no idea what a sanctuary city is or why it exists. You’re just repeating conservative talking points. #sad

My liberal friend is hopelessly brainwashed. We had agreed some time ago that we would NOT talk politics. He slips up occasionally and likes to make fun of our president. When he does this I just ignore him and move him on to the next topic. It's frustrating because he's brilliant concerning some topics, but is SO DAMNED STUPID and brainwashed when it comes to politics.

LOL! He may think the exact same thing about you...

The 10th amendment says- The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the states, are reserved to the states respectively, or to the people.

I haven't seen the authority for the fed gov't to determine what is or is not constitutional- the role of the courts is to apply law- the SC, for better, or worse, determines the constitutionality.

Wrong.

Most of you have no idea what a sanctuary city is or why it exists. You’re just repeating conservative talking points. #sad

Don't be #sad!

Trump is your president for 5 more years!

Woo Hoo!

As i have as well Mary

What we have is a 10ther issue

IIRC, it's been to the SCOTUS

A very hot topic indeed!

~S~
lol..............The LEFT usually comes down on the 10th until it suits their needs.............but with illegals......they bend over backwards to ensure they get away from ICE...........and That's a Fact JACK......

Imagine that..................LOL

The left only cares about the Constitution when it goes to their narrative.

T8Oy6rT.jpg

This makes me wonder what is our obligation to a coherent set of standards IS as a federation of states when we can just arbitrarily choose or ignore rules as a state?

Forum List

Back