Are people allowed to change their minds?

Can someone change their mind if a more compelling argument is made? Is it weak to admit a mistake?

• Yes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes and No

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No and Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like to take this opportunity to list all the USMB liberals who have conceded that some (any) of their devoutly held positions and beliefs were ever proved to be mistaken.Ok. That's that then.

I have been advised (often) by a litany of (mostly) "liberals" that if one changes one's mind, then one is a "welsh."

Apparently, it is the liberal orthodoxy that changing ones mind is verboten.

Ironic coming from the right who used "flip-flopping" as a derisive term for changing one's mind.

I have been advised (often) by a litany of (mostly) "liberals" that if one changes one's mind, then one is a "welsh."

Apparently, it is the liberal orthodoxy that changing ones mind is verboten.

Ironic coming from the right who used "flip-flopping" as a derisive term for changing one's mind.

No. You (deliberately) misunderstand.

We never objected to ANYBODY honestly changing their minds.

But we certainly mocked vacillating dishonest hack candidates who changed their minds on many issues because they had no damn core principles on -- ANYTHING.

If a person changes their mind.....would they still be the same person?

Politics isn't about facts in this country. It's about team affiliation. Tow the party line and your party will be happy with you. The other won't, but they're evil anyway. Admitting that one aspect of the party line is mistaken compromises the entire ideology and is seen as treason by your former team.
:laugh2: true and funny
Name a country that is different in this respect

Let's say you are in a political thread, you have a set position on a certain issue. Let's also say you've held that position forever. When someone makes a more compelling argument as to why your position is wrong, are you allowed to change your mind? For me, it is quite easy to change my position. I find that being too rigid in beliefs tends to make one cynical and obsessed.

What certain people label as my "mea culpas" are acknowledgements that there are in fact superior arguments to my own. I myself am not perfect, unstable persona and all. But even still, I can admit when I'm wrong. My dad taught me that, and it's easier to admit a mistake than to hold it in and let it eat you alive.

So, why is it seen as a weakness to admit a fault? Is there something wrong with changing your mind? Let me know what you think below. And don't forget to vote in the poll!
"mea culpas" are always acknowledgements

"And don't forget to vote in the poll!" -- Do I have to? Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

A few times somebody here has helped me refine an argument. Fewer times I have been shown the way to change my mind - as in agreeing with parts of Citizens United on technical points

Can someone change their mind if a more compelling argument is made? Is it weak to admit a mistake?

Yes and No
are the only way to go -- when one has actually read the thing

because they had no damn core principles on -- ANYTHING.

Ironic coming from an avid supporter of Romney, Palin, Bush jr and unindicted Cheney.

You are wrong yet again Dizzy.

The problem here is that you disagree with their core principles. That doesn't mean they lack them

as you libs do.

Assumes facts not in evidence!

Right. Any assumption that you libs have any core principles would do that.

because they had no damn core principles on -- ANYTHING.

Ironic coming from an avid supporter of Romney, Palin, Bush jr and unindicted Cheney.

You are wrong yet again Dizzy.

The problem here is that you disagree with their core principles. That doesn't mean they lack them

as you libs do.

Assumes facts not in evidence!

Right. Any assumption that you libs have any core principles would do that.

rofl_logo.jpg

Let's say you are in a political thread, you have a set position on a certain issue. Let's also say you've held that position forever. When someone makes a more compelling argument as to why your position is wrong, are you allowed to change your mind? For me, it is quite easy to change my position. I find that being too rigid in beliefs tends to make one cynical and obsessed.

What certain people label as my "mea culpas" are acknowledgements that there are in fact superior arguments to my own. I myself am not perfect, unstable persona and all. But even still, I can admit when I'm wrong. My dad taught me that, and it's easier to admit a mistake than to hold it in and let it eat you alive.

So, why is it seen as a weakness to admit a fault? Is there something wrong with changing your mind? Let me know what you think below. And don't forget to vote in the poll!

A wise person can learn from others and change their minds.

Just so long as the change is not due to political expediency, I don't have a problem with it.

Forum List

Back