Are people allowed to change their minds?

Can someone change their mind if a more compelling argument is made? Is it weak to admit a mistake?

• Yes

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 3 25.0%
  • Yes and No

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • No and Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes and Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Makes it kinda tough to communicate with 'em, but I must admit they're fascinating to observe.

Don't communicate. Just laugh. :D
Yeah, I know.

What I've done is turn this forum (and partisan politics in general) into an amateur psychological/sociological/anthropological study. I admit to being fascinated by the behaviors, and I spend more time and effort analyzing the reasons behind the behaviors than the actual posts.

There is so much lying going on, it's a waste of time taking much seriously.

The motivations are transparent and so are the "hot buttons" that pushing them becomes boring.

I would much rather get into a substantive debate on a topic but they are few and far between.

The SDZ held promise until it was exposed as a cover for the Libertarians to post their drivel and report any legitimate criticism as an "infraction of the rules". The irony was amusing that only they were "free" to violate the "rules" and everyone else was punished for doing the exact same thing.

Oh well, at least there is always the amusement factor.
What's funny (pathetically) is I read this from both sides, yet that requires an open mind and from both sides it's always belied but the closed minded statement about the opposite side; "post their drivel"............
Typical Human nature is so much fun to watch........ We can all be so hypocritical and not even be aware of that fact.

Libertarianism is the mirror image of Communism and will be just as much of a disaster because neither of them take into account the basic human driving forces of selfishness and greed. They are based upon some pie in the sky utopian mythology that everyone will be so happy and treat everyone else equally and fairly 100% of the time.

As a realist and pragmatist I find those who embrace Libertarianism to be immature, shallow and seriously lacking in critical thinking skills.

So yes, it does amuse me when they spout their drivel and I would only be a hypocrite if I didn't expose Libertarianism for the farce that it is in this forum.

Of course you could start a thread and prove me wrong about Libertarianism and if you succeeded I would admit that I was wrong.

But if you did then that would be a first on that subject.

But you won't ever know until you try, right?

Makes it kinda tough to communicate with 'em, but I must admit they're fascinating to observe.

Don't communicate. Just laugh. :D
Yeah, I know.

What I've done is turn this forum (and partisan politics in general) into an amateur psychological/sociological/anthropological study. I admit to being fascinated by the behaviors, and I spend more time and effort analyzing the reasons behind the behaviors than the actual posts.

There is so much lying going on, it's a waste of time taking much seriously.

The motivations are transparent and so are the "hot buttons" that pushing them becomes boring.

I would much rather get into a substantive debate on a topic but they are few and far between.

The SDZ held promise until it was exposed as a cover for the Libertarians to post their drivel and report any legitimate criticism as an "infraction of the rules". The irony was amusing that only they were "free" to violate the "rules" and everyone else was punished for doing the exact same thing.

Oh well, at least there is always the amusement factor.
What's funny (pathetically) is I read this from both sides, yet that requires an open mind and from both sides it's always belied but the closed minded statement about the opposite side; "post their drivel"............
Typical Human nature is so much fun to watch........ We can all be so hypocritical and not even be aware of that fact.

Libertarianism is the mirror image of Communism and will be just as much of a disaster because neither of them take into account the basic human driving forces of selfishness and greed. They are based upon some pie in the sky utopian mythology that everyone will be so happy and treat everyone else equally and fairly 100% of the time.

As a realist and pragmatist I find those who embrace Libertarianism to be immature, shallow and seriously lacking in critical thinking skills.

So yes, it does amuse me when they spout their drivel and I would only be a hypocrite if I didn't expose Libertarianism for the farce that it is in this forum.

Of course you could start a thread and prove me wrong about Libertarianism and if you succeeded I would admit that I was wrong.

But if you did then that would be a first on that subject.

But you won't ever know until you try, right?
Completely missed my point and proved my point again with your response....... :thup:
Oh and all man made theoretical "systems", whatever they may be, would work as designed if humans weren't involved...... :eusa_whistle:

Is it weak to admit a mistake? To me, admitting that you have made one at all is a whole lot farther than most people are willing to go these days, so in my opinion, admitting that you have made one is a sign of strength. :) :) :)

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

So, why is it seen as a weakness to admit a fault?

Actually it is a strength, not a weakness, to admit when you are wrong.

Those who perceive it as a weakness only do so because they are emotionally invested in their positions. Studies have shown that when provided with factual evidence that they are wrong they will resort to stubbornness instead. They will switch to tradition, faith, sources of disinformation and anything else that reinforces their beliefs that they are not wrong because they are incapable of admitting that what they believed to be true has turned out to be false.

From a political standpoint the only sane position is to be an Independent. That way you are never invested in either side because both sides screw up one way or another. As an Independent you can be an equal opportunity decider of what is best for the American people without having to support a party platform that was drafted by those with an agenda.

FYI current polling shows that those who identify as Independents has reached it's highest recorded levels.

Admitting a mistake is never a sign of weakness. Only the weak are afraid to admit that they are wrong.
Is it really admitting a mistake, though? One changes one's mind/opinion/thoughts based upon additional and different information. Not so much a mistake as a learning experience. But stepping away from one's long-held convictions in the face of new information, and admitting that move, certainly takes courage.

Depends. What do you value in life?

If it is conformity, then accepting someone else's argument even if your instincts and heart tell you otherwise, is one way to deal with things.

But if you value individualism, then your opinions or ideas are up to you, no one can force you to believe something is wrong or right - and most arguments are overwhelmingly subjective or generalizing.

If I know my arguments are flawed, yet I have deep feelings and instincts to the contrary, then I won't concede - just as someone wouldn't concede they are totally safe from an earthquake.

Completely missed my point and proved my point again with your response

If your point was that obscure then how about 'splaining so that even I could benefit from it?

How hard could that be?
Obscure??!! You're joking, right? Truly you're not that dense....... Or maybe you are. :dunno:
Here's a hint, I wasn't defending Libertarians.......

Strike 2!
You're a legend in your own mind. :thup:

If your point was that obscure then how about 'splaining so that even I could benefit from it?

How hard could that be?
Obscure??!! You're joking, right? Truly you're not that dense....... Or maybe you are. :dunno:

Strike 2!

When all else fails resort to ad homs!

Strike 3!

How hard could that be?

Strike 2!

Strike 3!
Funny, that's what you've done the whole time, yup not only a died in the wool zealot hypocrite but you have projection down to a tee. :thup:
What is commonly known as a pathetic looser.

How hard could that be?

Strike 2!

Strike 3!
Funny, that's what you've done the whole time, yup not only a died in the wool zealot hypocrite but you have projection down to a tee. :thup:

rofl_logo.jpg

Strike 2!

Strike 3!

rofl_logo.jpg
Still in denial eh? Whatever. That's okay, keep posting, you'll continuously prove my assessment. :thup:
By the way we've finally enrolled you in, what you would consider, a higher education establishment.

preschool.jpg

Just don't take a stance against the tea party. They will threaten you and your family with physical violence and try to label you as something you are not for daring to disagree with them. Teapers are some nasty fucks who are so full of hate, they have lost all rational thought.

Strike 2!

Strike 3!

rofl_logo.jpg
Still in denial eh? Whatever. That's okay, keep posting, you'll continuously prove my assessment. :thup:
By the way we've finally enrolled you in, what you would consider, a higher education establishment.

preschool.jpg
5-common-mistakes-when-outsourcing-to-a-cro-and-how-to-avoid-them-5-638.jpg

Strike 3!

rofl_logo.jpg

preschool.jpg
5-common-mistakes-when-outsourcing-to-a-cro-and-how-to-avoid-them-5-638.jpg
At least you know yourself, now all you have to do is follow that advice. I won't hold my breath.

Let's say you are in a political thread, you have a set position on a certain issue. Let's also say you've held that position forever. When someone makes a more compelling argument as to why your position is wrong, are you allowed to change your mind? For me, it is quite easy to change my position. I find that being too rigid in beliefs tends to make one cynical and obsessed.

What certain people label as my "mea culpas" are acknowledgements that there are in fact superior arguments to my own. I myself am not perfect, unstable persona and all. But even still, I can admit when I'm wrong. My dad taught me that, and it's easier to admit a mistake than to hold it in and let it eat you alive.

So, why is it seen as a weakness to admit a fault? Is there something wrong with changing your mind? Let me know what you think below. And don't forget to vote in the poll!
Admitting weakness, especially in this nasty, often juvenile environment, is far more an indication of strength, maturity and self-awareness than weakness.

That was quite refreshing. Thanks Mac.
Any time!

One of the primary tenets of partisan ideology is "avoid any sign of weakness at all costs, regardless of how obvious it is."

One of the many reasons politicians, politicos, pundits and partisans have zero credibility.

Oddly enough I have actually seen that happen. If I recall correctly it was Micheal Steele on MSNBC who called out someone in his own party for screwing up. It was such an exception to the rule of never admitting that you are wrong that it stood out. It hasn't happened again so maybe he just dropped the ball and was subsequently reprimanded for doing so.

That is fucking stupid....what you saw is the activity of badmouthing the republican party to be liked by liberals.....too many establishment republicans have fallen into doing that, thinking it will help them get a job or get favorable press coverage...

Another one famous for that is john mccain.....he spent his career making fun of conservatives and bad mouthing them and the press loved him for it...they lauded him and called him a good guy.........until he ran for President and then they of course turned on him.....and conservatives stayed home........

Chris Christie is going to find out about this as well.....

Let's say you are in a political thread, you have a set position on a certain issue. Let's also say you've held that position forever. When someone makes a more compelling argument as to why your position is wrong, are you allowed to change your mind? For me, it is quite easy to change my position. I find that being too rigid in beliefs tends to make one cynical and obsessed.

What certain people label as my "mea culpas" are acknowledgements that there are in fact superior arguments to my own. I myself am not perfect, unstable persona and all. But even still, I can admit when I'm wrong. My dad taught me that, and it's easier to admit a mistake than to hold it in and let it eat you alive.

So, why is it seen as a weakness to admit a fault? Is there something wrong with changing your mind? Let me know what you think below. And don't forget to vote in the poll!
Admitting weakness, especially in this nasty, often juvenile environment, is far more an indication of strength, maturity and self-awareness than weakness.

That was quite refreshing. Thanks Mac.
Any time!

One of the primary tenets of partisan ideology is "avoid any sign of weakness at all costs, regardless of how obvious it is."

One of the many reasons politicians, politicos, pundits and partisans have zero credibility.

Oddly enough I have actually seen that happen. If I recall correctly it was Micheal Steele on MSNBC who called out someone in his own party for screwing up. It was such an exception to the rule of never admitting that you are wrong that it stood out. It hasn't happened again so maybe he just dropped the ball and was subsequently reprimanded for doing so.

That is fucking stupid....what you saw is the activity of badmouthing the republican party to be liked by liberals.....too many establishment republicans have fallen into doing that, thinking it will help them get a job or get favorable press coverage...

Another one famous for that is john mccain.....he spent his career making fun of conservatives and bad mouthing them and the press loved him for it...they lauded him and called him a good guy.........until he ran for President and then they of course turned on him.....and conservatives stayed home........

Chris Christie is going to find out about this as well.....

The vapidness of your political acumen is duly noted!

I have been advised (often) by a litany of (mostly) "liberals" that if one changes one's mind, then one is a "welsh."

Apparently, it is the liberal orthodoxy that changing ones mind is verboten.

Forum List

Back