Are Corporations People ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by GravityWave, Aug 11, 2011.

1. GravityWave

GravityWave Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm taking significant exception to M.Romney's comment that 'Corporations are People!" as I've just seen on CSPAN.

I don't recall any corporations being drafted to serve in Vietnam.

I don't believe that corporations have a right to vote in any civil elections in this country including federal elections.

I'm a little uncertain as to whether 'corporate people' are allowed to bear arms in this country.

May I marry a corporate body, independent of its stated sexual orientation?

Can corporations be deported upon being found to engaged in illegal overseas activities or defrauding the government of this country?

Can a corporation be sentenced to federal or state prison for violating the laws of this country?

For some reason, Mr. Romney is very confused about the nature of people and abstractions about people and should apologize to the people of this country before he is mistaken for another 'silly' Republican who is a token of the corporate citizens he serves.

I suppose that its no wonder that the US now relies on a mercenary armed force (voluntary is a bit of a stretch given the costs and budget requirements, particularly for the Nato generals,etc contributing a couple thousand members combined).

Over half of military support overseas is sub-contracted out to corporations able to deal with the corruption that occurs there. But that's just the military-industrial complex all grown up, despite Eisenhower's warnings so long ago.

Corporations are legal fictions to allow groups of people to avoid individual responsibility for their actions. It seemed like a good idea at the time to encourage business.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Oddball

Oddball BANNED Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
    Ratings:
    +8,409
    People peaceably assemble under the banner of the legal fiction known as "corporation", the same way they do in gatherings known as "picnics".

Without people, you have neither.

3. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150

Obviously--you do not understand the difference between a class C corporation and a Sub-Chapter S corporation. The C corporation are usually your large multi-billion dollar corporations and your S corporations in this country consists of millions of mom and pop shops (small business people) Most small business in this country--aka the largest employer of it are Sub S corporations. I am an S corporation--small business electrical contractor.

I file two returns--the S corporation--(which is not taxes) basically a declaration of sales--versus expenses--and any profit our loss flows through to our personal 1040 income tax return. That's when Romney is RIGHT--corporations are PEOPLE.

Now I imagine you are an Obama voter--because you even brought this up. Obama since his campaign started--has repeatedly stated he wanted to raise taxes on the 250K crowd--going from the current 33% to a 39% tax bracket which is exactly what large multi-billion dollar corporations pay.

This hits right in the heart of small business aka sub S corporations. Meaning he wants to tax the mom and pop shops in this country the same as large class C corporations. When you add in state and local taxes--you are asking the hardest working--most innovative people in this country to pay .50 cents on every dollar they earn.

In return--small business in this country has tucked in like a turtle and are waiting for the threat to leave.

$fore.jpg

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,707
    Also ants.:lol:

5. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,796
    Yes people can fall under the title Corporation. I do, its called LLC

Limited Liability Company (LLC)

6. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Are corporations people on taxes?
    If so why cannot I take expenses to work as a deduction. Gas driving to and from work, clothes, my education, etc. Corporation takes all these deductions including their half of my SS contributions which I cannot deduct my half.
    I also have never seen a corporation in prison for crimes.
    And they have even less birth certificates than Obama does.

7. Grampa Murked U

Grampa Murked U Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,796
    Its easy to feign outrage when you dont research things yourself, then end up looking foolish

8. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,347
    Are unions people?

9. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    And no unions are not people either.

Neither is a church or civic organization.

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Well I will take you obvious expert word on that ;)