CDZ Are Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia two sides of the same coin?

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
I posted this in CDZ because I want to explore this troubling mine field of labeling, suffering, and ostracizing groups in a civil matter. My position is that “isms” are dangerous, whether race, faith or ethnic group, they enevitably lead to human tragedy and there is no valid justification for those views.

Islamophobia is a really inaccurate term for the rhetoric of demonization and seperation that marks “isms”...Anti Muslimism might be better.

One of the things I find troubling is how many people who denounce anti-semitism will turn around and justify Islamophobia. Likewise, those who support Palestinian rights will turn around and deny the same rights to Jews. And they can’t see what they are doing.

What do they have in common?

They target a minority population in a country.
They promote disinformation and conspiracy theory about “the other”.
They utilize fear mongering.
They broad brush the other, painting the entire population around the world by the actions of a few, individuality is denied, acts of individual nations are ignored because the whole is held responsible.

They deny identity...Jews aren’t a people, Islam is not a religion.
They promote violence, wether tacitly or overtly.
They distort history.
They distort religion.
They scapegoat.

There is no question violence against innocent people occurs, whether it is the Holocaust or the genocide of today’s Rohinga. Or, terrorist attacks on a Jewish school or terrorist attacks on A Sikh Temple. I do not understand why it is impossible for some to see both as reprehensible, dangerous and to be denounced without reservation.

When I was looking for articles for this OP, I searched for “Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia are the same thing” and I was surprised by the number of articles passionately denouncing that they were the same, mostly by Jewish authors while others saw the parallels. One author pointed out something interesting as well, the Jewish ownership of the Holocaust as a unique event that is incomparable to any other thus anti-semitism can not be comparable to any other “ism”. These are really touchy topics to discuss, but the author makes valid points, humanity is hardwired to commit genocide, it occurred in ancient world, it occurred in the “modern world” and it occurs today. It is the ultimate end result of “isms” and it is usually preceded by the same tactics and rhetoric designed to dehumanize, seperate, criminalize, and alienate the other. The “other” can never be a true citizen, they are a fifth column, they can’t be trusted, etc.

A couple of articles, food for thought. Quora isn’t an article, but a collection of responses to a question. Still it is revealing for what people think.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Islamophob...emitism-vs-contemporary-historic-Islamophobia

Most disagree with similarities...mostly by justifying Islamophobia. This one caught my eye though:

Yes, it is. The arguments are pretty much the same:

• “Mass immigration of Muslims is destroying European culture.”
  • “Mass immigration of Jews is destroying the European race.”
  • “Muslims can't be trusted. Not all are terrorists, but most support terrorism.”
  • “Jews can't be trusted. Not all are bolsheviks, but most support communism.”
  • “Islam is a religion of violence.”
  • “Judaism is a religion of deceit.”
  • “Muslims will outnumber Europeans in Europe because they have more children.”
  • “Jews will outnumber Europeans in Europe because they have a child every year.”
And, in fact, many a islamophobe blame the mass immigration of Muslims to Europe today on World Jewry just as much as Hitler did 90 years ago, and for the very same alleged intent:

The Jews were responsible for bringing negroes into the Rhineland, with the ultimate idea of bastardizing the white race which they hate and thus lowering its cultural and political level so that the Jew might dominate. For as long as a people remain racially pure and are conscious of the treasure of their blood, they can never be overcome by the Jew. Never in this world can the Jew become master of any people except a bastardized people.

– Adolf Hitler, Mein Kampf, 1925.​

And this article offers another view:
Islamophobia and Anti-Semitism: Different Religions, Same Hate

Islamophobia Denialism

Many Jews expend considerable amounts of energy denying that Islamophobia exists or, if it exists, that it is nowhere near as threatening or potent to its Muslim victims as anti-Semitism is to Jews. Part of the reason for this denial is that many Jews view Muslims and Arabs as enemies of Israel. This fear and mistrust itself often becomesIslamophobia. But even if it doesn’t, Jews who blame these two groups for Israel’s predicament can ill-afford to see any commonality with their perceived enemy.​

This bifurcation between Jews and Muslims costs both religions critical allies who could help each other fight against religious bigotry. Whether Jews wish to acknowledge this commonality or not, our historical plight as “the hated ones” shares much with Muslims. To give but one small example: while I don’t think much of the spectacle of Israelis (in Paris, an Israeli Jewish journalist and in Berlin, an Israeli Palestinian) who don kippot in Arab neighborhoods daring Muslims to assault them, the truth is that this is precisely the same form of bigotry Muslim women who wear the hijab and Sikh men who wear the turban, endure.

If we were smart, we would make a common alliance to fight this scourge, not separate ourselves by making our victimization worse than anyone else’s.

That last line can just as easily apply to Muslims, particularly in Europe where they are a minority under attack, yet they attack another minority under attack, Jews. Anti-semitism is prevalent among Muslims today but too few challenge it.

th

Does it matter?

*****SMILE*****

:)

Is your point that different groups experience discrimination?

Did you hear anyone argue otherwise?

Is your point that different groups experience discrimination?

Did you hear anyone argue otherwise?
Yes, I do.

I hear people say there is no such thing as Islamophobia.

Islamophobia is the fear of Islamic hate, violence, Sharia Laws, oppression of Women, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Gays, Buddhist, Atheist, bombings, hijackings, being butchered alive, being burnt alive, hangings, mass shootings....
You can decide for yourself if it is a justified fear.

9_11_jumpers.jpg

Islamophobia is the fear of Islamic hate, violence, Sharia Laws, oppression of Women, Christians, Jews, Hindus, Gays, Buddhist, Atheist, bombings, hijackings, being butchered alive, being burnt alive, hangings, mass shootings....

View attachment 219299

Except not all of that is true...for examp,e Buddhists are committing genocide on Muslims, Hindu nationalists are oppressing Muslims and forceably converting Christians to Hinduism, Sharia varies in how or if it is utilized around the world and many of those actions occur with other groups as well. So why are Muslims as anentire work group targeted for the actions of some instead of individual peop,e, cultures or actions targeted?

for a realistic evaluation of the issue-----talk to intelligent immigrant
muslim adolescents who come from countries that have no jewish population---
or young professionals who have immigrated from muslim countries. Alter-
nate between presenting yourself as a Christian ----or a Jew. Also
talk to non-muslims who were born in shariah adherent societies. One
such group would be Sikhs from the Pakistani controlled part of Punjab

"all" of what is not true? Of course------"ALL" of nothing is true. There are
always exceptions. PS ---muslims are not being subjected to genocide in
Myanmar. There is ongoing violence between muslims and buddhists there
and there are lots of illegal immigrants to that country from impoverished
Bangla Desh. Deportation BACK to Bangladesh is both resisted by
Bangla Desh and considered ---a DEATH SENTENCE by muslims in Myanmar

I do not believe that the USA is engaging in a genocide of Mexicans but
there is a DEFINITE program to reduce immigration of that group to
the USA and rid the country of Mexican "illegals" The most
MEXIPHOBIC people I have encountered
have been people from Arizona (I have not traveled extensively
in the USA-------the only OUT WEST state has been Arizona).
There are LOTS of Mexicans in my area of the USA----I have a
definite feeling that Mexicans and Blacks do not "get along"

I posted this in CDZ because I want to explore this troubling mine field of labeling, suffering, and ostracizing groups in a civil matter. My position is that “isms” are dangerous, whether race, faith or ethnic group, they enevitably lead to human tragedy and there is no valid justification for those views.

Islamophobia is a really inaccurate term for the rhetoric of demonization and seperation that marks “isms”...Anti Muslimism might be better.

One of the things I find troubling is how many people who denounce anti-semitism will turn around and justify Islamophobia. Likewise, those who support Palestinian rights will turn around and deny the same rights to Jews. And they can’t see what they are doing.

They broad brush the other, painting the entire population around the world by the actions of a few, individuality is denied, acts of individual nations are ignored because the whole is held responsible.

They distort history.
They distort religion.
They scapegoat.

There is no question violence against innocent people occurs, whether it is the Holocaust or the genocide of today’s Rohinga. Or, terrorist attacks on a Jewish school or terrorist attacks on A Sikh Temple. I do not understand why it is impossible for some to see both as reprehensible, dangerous and to be denounced without reservation.

When I was looking for articles for this OP, I searched for “Anti-Semitism and Islamophobia are the same thing” and I was surprised by the number of articles passionately denouncing that they were the same, mostly by Jewish authors while others saw the parallels. One author pointed out something interesting as well, the Jewish ownership of the Holocaust as a unique event that is incomparable to any other thus anti-semitism can not be comparable to any other “ism”. These are really touchy topics to discuss, but the author makes valid points, humanity is hardwired to commit genocide, it occurred in ancient world, it occurred in the “modern world” and it occurs today. It is the ultimate end result of “isms” and it is usually preceded by the same tactics and rhetoric designed to dehumanize, seperate, criminalize, and alienate the other. The “other” can never be a true citizen, they are a fifth column, they can’t be trusted, etc.

A couple of articles, food for thought. Quora isn’t an article, but a collection of responses to a question. Still it is revealing for what people think.

https://www.quora.com/Is-Islamophob...emitism-vs-contemporary-historic-Islamophobia

Most disagree with similarities...mostly by justifying Islamophobia. This one caught my eye though:

• “Muslims can't be trusted. Not all are terrorists, but most support terrorism.”
  • “Jews will outnumber Europeans in Europe because they have a child every year.”
And, in fact, many a islamophobe blame the mass immigration of Muslims to Europe today on World Jewry just as much as Hitler did 90 years ago, and for the very same alleged intent:

The Jews were responsible for bringing negroes into the Rhineland, with the ultimate idea of bastardizing the white race which they hate and thus lowering its cultural and political level so that the Jew might dominate. For as long as a people remain racially pure and are conscious of the treasure of their blood, they can never be overcome by the Jew. Never in this world can the Jew become master of any people except a bastardized people.

Islamophobia Denialism

Many Jews expend considerable amounts of energy denying that Islamophobia exists or, if it exists, that it is nowhere near as threatening or potent to its Muslim victims as anti-Semitism is to Jews. Part of the reason for this denial is that many Jews view Muslims and Arabs as enemies of Israel. This fear and mistrust itself often becomesIslamophobia. But even if it doesn’t, Jews who blame these two groups for Israel’s predicament can ill-afford to see any commonality with their perceived enemy.​

This bifurcation between Jews and Muslims costs both religions critical allies who could help each other fight against religious bigotry. Whether Jews wish to acknowledge this commonality or not, our historical plight as “the hated ones” shares much with Muslims. To give but one small example: while I don’t think much of the spectacle of Israelis (in Paris, an Israeli Jewish journalist and in Berlin, an Israeli Palestinian) who don kippot in Arab neighborhoods daring Muslims to assault them, the truth is that this is precisely the same form of bigotry Muslim women who wear the hijab and Sikh men who wear the turban, endure.

If we were smart, we would make a common alliance to fight this scourge, not separate ourselves by making our victimization worse than anyone else’s.

That last line can just as easily apply to Muslims, particularly in Europe where they are a minority under attack, yet they attack another minority under attack, Jews. Anti-semitism is prevalent among Muslims today but too few challenge it.

Very well put.

And to answer the question- yes they are.

The difference really is only that being openly anti-semitic in the West- now- is absolutely politically incorrect- and career ending- while being anti-Muslim is only mildly politically incorrect, and is career enhancing in some circles.

View attachment 219299

Except not all of that is true...for examp,e Buddhists are committing genocide on Muslims, Hindu nationalists are oppressing Muslims and forceably converting Christians to Hinduism, Sharia varies in how or if it is utilized around the world and many of those actions occur with other groups as well. So why are Muslims as anentire work group targeted for the actions of some instead of individual peop,e, cultures or actions targeted?

OK, you are on the unjustified fear side.
The purpose of terrorism is to instill fear.
Don't give other people reasons to be prejudice and the prejudices will go away.
Soooo, stop the terrorism.

"all" of what is not true? Of course------"ALL" of nothing is true. There are
always exceptions. PS ---muslims are not being subjected to genocide in
Myanmar. There is ongoing violence between muslims and buddhists there
and there are lots of illegal immigrants to that country from impoverished
Bangla Desh. Deportation BACK to Bangladesh is both resisted by
Bangla Desh and considered ---a DEATH SENTENCE by muslims in Myanmar
PS Rohingya are being subject to genocide in Myanmar- Rohingya who had lived for generations in Myanmar and were driven out by murder and rape to Bangladesh by government troops.

I never understand the apologists who think that rape and murder is wrong- except when done to Muslims.

Murder and rape is wrong whether done by Muslims- or done to Muslims.

View attachment 219299

Don't give other people reasons to be prejudice and the prejudices will go away.

I don't see anyone who is arguing that terrorism should not be stopped.

Condemning all Muslims for the actions of a few terrorists is not going to end terrorism- instead it just does what terrorists want it to do.

Islamists terrorist want the West to fear all Muslims- they want a war between Muslims and the West- so they brutalize both other Muslims and other religions to do just that.

They distort history.
They distort religion.
They scapegoat.

Islamophobia Denialism

They are, very much so, two sides of the same coin, not just for the blanket-generalization bigotry they have in common depending on time and place but literally so.

"Semitic" is actually a linguistic term which as such includes both Hebrew and Arabic as well as a few other languages. Language of course is not religion; it's perfectly possible to speak Hebrew (or Arabic) without practicing Judaism (or Islam). But to the extent a language and a religion get lumped together, Semitic applies as much to Islam as it does to Judaism. So technically "anti-Semitic" applies, in that sense, to both Jews and Moslems.

It's also worth noting that the once anti-Jewish German who originally coined the term, and who married a Jew, renounced his views later in life.

View attachment 219299

Actually no. It won’t go away. There is no rational reason for prejudice against Jews. Yet it has never gone away.

A few years ago they applied to convert a building into a Mosque. There were a large number of objections to it and I recognised a few names amongst them.

Without exception they were the kids who struggled in school and went on to struggle in life. It follows that someone had to be to blame.

the easiest target is a group that is easily recognisable.

Any racist group has a large group of stupid people led by a few more intelligent loons. They thrive when times are tough and fade away when people are comfortable.

The current wave of islamaphobia stems mainly from 9/11. Those involved died in the planes and yet 2bn who were not there are held responsible.There were terroroist atrocities in the 70s and 80s but they were as likely to have been carried out by white christian nutters. However since 9/11 there has grown up an islamophobic narrative that muslis have always been our enemies way back to the crusdes. Its just a load of bollox. Nobody gave a shit about Islam until they found oil.

Im not aware of any analysis behind 9/11 or other terrorist atrocities. Why do people commit these crimes ?

The racists are so dumb that they cant understand that they would be better off working with the 2bn muslims who arent bombers rather than vilifying them.

Thats because they are really stupid peope who failed in school and who then went on to fail in life. There are plenty of them on this forum.

And the muslims seem to be flavour of the month. It used to be the Jews. Blacks,Poles,Italians, Irish, Catholics and so on, but mainly the Jews.

They must be glad of the break.

Its never going to go away either.

The only solution I can see is education.Educated people tend to see through the bullshit and see people as individuals. But we start from a low base and I could see it would need generations to wipe out. Meantime the leader of the free world is an islamaphobe shamelessly courting the votes of gutter trash.

Decency,tolerance , justice,reason and truth are under threat. The Calibans seem to be calling the shots.

Semitic applies as much to Islam as it does to Judaism. So technically "anti-Semitic" applies, in that sense, to both Jews and Moslems.

The term "anti-Semitic", came into use in the 19th century exclusively to refer to Jews in Europe. The implied insult in referring to Jews as Semites is the notion that regardless of how they assimilated into European society, they could never be equal with Europeans because of their 'Semitic Blood'. Throughout the 19th and 20th Centuries the term has been used exclusively to refer to hatred of Jews and that is the standard definition.

So, it is proper that Muslims create their own term for anti-Muslim discrimination because anti-Semitism has been co-opted by Jew haters.

Islamaphobia is as good a term as any other.

Forum List

Back