Are Americans actually so fat?

It's not a conspiracy. If people in poor neighborhoods bought whole foods someone would be selling whole foods.
You have no clue how the food bidness works do you? :lol:
I am completely aware of how perpetual victims blame their environment for their shortcomings. But you have no clue on how capitalism works.

Uh --- yeah actually I do. Just did a shopping trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Not here -- out in Asheville. That's where the stores are. They're not about to put them out here in the sticks; I have to go fifty miles to get to 'em.

So you have it exactly backward --- if someone sold whole foods, people in that neighborhood would be buying them -- there. Instead of driving fifty miles. Because you can't buy anything at a store that ...... isn't there.

DUH.

Personally I don't like this stereotype.
Have you ever compare us with other nations? IS it really true?
One idea of mine: Poorer people have to buy cheaper food. Cheap food tends to be more fattening and unhealthy than more expensive alternatives.
In a society in which time and money are king, it's no surprise that fast food is also king.
May we blame fast food as usual?

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg

The United States of America: A country so awesome that liberals forgo complaining about feeding the poor for complaining about the quality of the food they choose to buy with their EBT card.

It's not a conspiracy. If people in poor neighborhoods bought whole foods someone would be selling whole foods.
You have no clue how the food bidness works do you? :lol:
I am completely aware of how perpetual victims blame their environment for their shortcomings. But you have no clue on how capitalism works.

Uh --- yeah actually I do. Just did a shopping trip to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Not here -- out in Asheville. That's where the stores are. They're not about to put them out here in the sticks; I have to go fifty miles to get to 'em.

So you have it exactly backward --- if someone sold whole foods, people in that neighborhood would be buying them -- there. Instead of driving fifty miles. Because you can't buy anything at a store that ...... isn't there.

DUH.
Duh is right if you think those are the only sources of healthy foods. I gave two examples, brown rice/beans and spinach. That's a healthy meal every market has.

You're the one that's backwards.

Yes, look around. Americans are HUGE! :ack-1: And my state isn't even close to being the "fattest" state. In fact, my state is amongst the lowest with only around 22% obesity. I cannot imagine all the fatties in other states, like Mississippi.

I think the numbers are underestimated too. If you just look around, you will notice that most people are at least somewhat overweight (especially true with children and teens). Even the young ones who aren't yet fat, you can tell they are going to be! I think it is a combination of fast food and technology (leading to a lack of any meaningful exercise).

Fattest State in America 2014 How Obese is Your State Trending News TravelersToday

Yes, look around. Americans are HUGE! :ack-1: And my state isn't even close to being the "fattest" state. In fact, my state is amongst the lowest with only around 22% obesity. I cannot imagine all the fatties in other states, like Mississippi.

I think the numbers are underestimated too. If you just look around, you will notice that most people are at least somewhat overweight (especially true with children and teens). Even the young ones who aren't yet fat, you can tell they are going to be! I think it is a combination of fast food and technology (leading to a lack of any meaningful exercise).

Fattest State in America 2014 How Obese is Your State Trending News TravelersToday

Some degree technology/lack of activity, but not significantly so. Most of this trend has been caused by the insidious creep of more and more sugars, fats and salt into the standard food chain, and how it's marketed, along with the "supersize" appeal to thrift, feeding yet more addictive ingredients into the public maw. Put bluntly, obesity is profitable, and the marketplace in and of itself has no ethics.

One idea of mine: Poorer people have to buy cheaper food. Cheap food tends to be more fattening and unhealthy than more expensive alternatives.
In a society in which time and money are king, it's no surprise that fast food is also king.

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg
Damn ........ I promised her that no one would see that picture but me ............... how did you get your hands on it? ............ she's going to swear that I broke my word and passed it around on the internet ........... oh shit .. I just remembered ........... I sold that computer without erasing the hard drive first .............. Willis, did you post that picture on the internet? ................ damn you ... now I'm in deep do-do ............... I'll get even with you Willis, if it's the last thing I do ........... Bunny is going to fry me over that picture ... ..... man, I thought we were tight bro ... we was friends ........... now look what you've gone and done to me ....... shit man ........... damn bro ................

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg
Damn ........ I promised her that no one would see that picture but me ............... how did you get your hands on it? ............ she's going to swear that I broke my word and passed it around on the internet ........... oh shit .. I just remembered ........... I sold that computer without erasing the hard drive first .............. Willis, did you post that picture on the internet? ................ damn you ... now I'm in deep do-do ............... I'll get even with you Willis, if it's the last thing I do ........... Bunny is going to fry me over that picture ... ..... man, I thought we were tight bro ... we was friends ........... now look what you've gone and done to me ....... shit man ........... damn bro ................

Shame all over you Sonny.....and I thought you were such a gentleman! BTW, who is Bunny?

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg

SO, how fat are you?
fat-america-girl.jpg

Shame all over you Sonny.....and I thought you were such a gentleman! BTW, who is Bunny?
No shame. Bunny be my honey, if you know what I mean.

If you haven't watched "Supersize Me" you should. One (out of many) thought he has about fast food, is that it is addictive. He would eat all the food he ordered and within a couple of hours he was hungry. Around my neck of the woods, there is over weight, and morbidly obese, and "are you shittin' me?" I see women who are literally 6' wide across the ass. Their breasts are the size of basketballs. I don't know how their bones keep from breaking. They can barely walk, and head straight for the electric scooters in the stores. Their next step will be laying on a mattress, covered in a sheet because there aren't clothes available for someone who weighs 800 pounds. All these people do is eat. I focused on women, but there are men who are just as huge. Much of their fat is on their gut.

I'm 6 foot, 185 lbs but I've been as fat as 234. When you stop eating sugar and deep fried anything, the weight comes off pretty easy. The shocking part is how ADDICTIVE certain foods can be! I went through a weeks worth of headaches detoxing from all that garbage.

When I was in school there were maybe one or two fat kids. Now it seems AT LEAST 50% of the kids are obese and many are just plain chunky.

Some degree technology/lack of activity, but not significantly so. Most of this trend has been caused by the insidious creep of more and more sugars, fats and salt into the standard food chain, and how it's marketed, along with the "supersize" appeal to thrift, feeding yet more addictive ingredients into the public maw. Put bluntly, obesity is profitable, and the marketplace in and of itself has no ethics.

I've always eaten candy and junk food (cookies, cake, that kind of stuff), and I've never had a weight problem. I also played outside a lot as a kid and didn't have fast food every day. Fast food was a treat (at least when I was a kid - I don't really like fast food much anymore) and not something my family ate very often.

all you have to do is look AROUND (and know that 6ft tall men SHOULD only weigh (at most, with LOTS of muscle) 180 lbs, not 240 lbs! sheesh.

It's nobodies business if they are. Especially not this stinking governments

I'm 6 foot, 185 lbs but I've been as fat as 234. When you stop eating sugar and deep fried anything, the weight comes off pretty easy. The shocking part is how ADDICTIVE certain foods can be! I went through a weeks worth of headaches detoxing from all that garbage.

When I was in school there were maybe one or two fat kids. Now it seems AT LEAST 50% of the kids are obese and many are just plain chunky.
Alcohol is addictive too, yet most people don't become alkies. If the alkie wants to blame the booze so be it. Life is about choices. I've eaten little fast food over the decades and always regretted it when I did. I felt like crap.

I doubt they put in an additional addictive substance to get you to eat more, the fats, sugars and salt are what do it. Made for taste, not nutrition. But many (most?) Americans eat for sport, not fuel.

It's not just fast food but processed food as well. The more food is processed, the more nutrients are lost.

People with low incomes eat a lot of high fat foods because they are cheap and take longer to digest, making them feel full, but providing few nutrients. It is possible to be both obese and malnourished.

The best food in terms of nutritional value, is raw and fresh. The best meals are made from fresh ingredients, at home but working poor families don't have the time or resources to prepare them.

Big food spends a lot of money advertising convenience foods. They're cheaper and faster and full of fat, salt and preservatives. This is why Americans are so fat.
Hey, girl????

Are you aware of the FACT that many men burn more than 500 calories/hour when they are finishing concrete??

Alcohol is addictive too, yet most people don't become alkies. If the alkie wants to blame the booze so be it. Life is about choices. I've eaten little fast food over the decades and always regretted it when I did. I felt like crap.

I doubt they put in an additional addictive substance to get you to eat more, the fats, sugars and salt are what do it. Made for taste, not nutrition. But many (most?) Americans eat for sport, not fuel.

I agree. It is the individual who is at fault if he or she is overweight/obese. I see some people and I have to wonder how on earth people can let themselves get so big . . .

I agree. It is the individual who is at fault if he or she is overweight/obese. I see some people and I have to wonder how on earth people can let themselves get so big . . .

Simply continuing with a diet that always used to work is all it takes.

I'm about the same as MadScientist's dimensions and the same thing happened to me. I took off 65 pounds out of necessity, and I did it by cutting out wheat.

I hadn't changed -- wheat had. Hard to keep up with that when they don't tell you they're doing it.

I've always eaten candy and junk food (cookies, cake, that kind of stuff), and I've never had a weight problem. I also played outside a lot as a kid and didn't have fast food every day. Fast food was a treat (at least when I was a kid - I don't really like fast food much anymore) and not something my family ate very often.
I don't usually eat fast food, it's just not my style. But when I do... I am the most interesting man in the world.

You would think at some point they would notice only Cabelas tent section has any possible apparel offerings.

Forum List

Back