Another Obamacare Lie

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
Remember when we were told that ER visits by uninsured people were driving up medical costs? And that ACA, by providing insurance, would reduce those visits? Yeah, I questioned it at the time based on an article in Inc Magazine. And sure enough, ER visits have increased, not decreased. Another ACA lie exposed. When will we repeal this POS legislation?
Contrary to goals ER visits rise under Obamacare

Remember when we were told that ER visits by uninsured people were driving up medical costs? And that ACA, by providing insurance, would reduce those visits? Yeah, I questioned it at the time based on an article in Inc Magazine. And sure enough, ER visits have increased, not decreased. Another ACA lie exposed. When will we repeal this POS legislation?
It's the fastest way for me to meet my $4000 deductible

Yes, the ACA ( Obamacare ) is a joke, an expensive joke at that.

More people with insurance visiting the ER means that the services will be paid for and not written off or paid for by local tax payers. I never once believed my taxes would decrease because of it either.

We should have universal health care anyways.

More people with insurance visiting the ER means that the services will be paid for and not written off or paid for by local tax payers. I never once believed my taxes would decrease because of it either.

ER care represents the most expensive form of care, often delivered to people who dont need it. Did you forget that talking point?
Besides, whether the hospital writes off the charge and taxpayers ultimately pay for it, or the gov't subsidizes insurance premiums and the taxpayers ultimately subsidize it, is irrelevant.
Yeah, more gov't involvement will certainly fix the problem.

Not really.
Now that my insurance company sees the $4235 bill, they consider my deductible met.
Now I only have to pay $30/month for my $100 Dr visit
:thup:

The question is not why are emergency rooms being used, the question is why isn't the laziest Congress in history getting off their asses and addressing the root cause of why are emergency rooms being used/overused?
The high cost of emergency care could be offset within, probably 8-10 years (a couple of years worth of graduating classes) if GME funds were being regulated the way they were intended when the program was created.
The way the lack of oversight works now is;

Excerpted from the OP article:
Experts cite many root causes. In addition to the nation's long-standing shortage of primary care doctors — projected by the federal government to exceed 20,000 doctors by 2020 — some physicians won't accept Medicaid because of its low reimbursement rates. That leaves many patients who can't find a primary care doctor to turn to the ER — 56% of doctors in the ACEP poll reported increases in Medicaid patients.
Emergency room usage is bound to increase if there's a shortage of primary care doctors who accept Medicaid patients and "no financial penalty or economic incentive" to move people away from ERs,

GME funds were never intended to fund specialties, GME funds (for one thing) were intended to help people with MD degrees become primary care physicians then use their own funds to move into a specialty if they so chose but-----but without proper regulation those funds have become corrupted is such a way that the incentive to be a rural or primary care physician is less than getting government funded training in a higher paying specialty.
If you want more efficient use of your tax dollars - replace this lazy-ass Congress.

IOM Recommendations

The IOM recommendations include significant reforms needed to create transparency and ensure that the public’s sizeable investment in GME is aligned with the health needs of our nation. They address critical problems inherent within our current GME system. These problems include:
  • A minimal relationship between the specialty makeup of the physician workforce and the health needs of the population.
  • Inadequate diversity of the physician population.
  • Significant geographic misdistribution of physicians.
  • A discrepancy between the competencies required for current medical practice and the current capacity for developing new physicians’ knowledge and skills.
  • A lack of fiscal transparency relating to the utilization of Federal and State GME funds by teaching hospitals, thereby impeding progress in addressing these deficiencies.
Because the rules governing the Medicare GME financing system are based on statute, recommended reforms cannot occur without legislative action. We agree with much of the IOM Report; we urge Congress to amend Medicare law and regulation in order to implement many of the IOM recommendations, after careful consideration by COGME of the involved complexities, with possible modification which might achieve better stakeholder consensus.

The question is not why are emergency rooms being used, the question is why isn't the laziest Congress in history getting off their asses and addressing the root cause of why are emergency rooms being used/overused?

Fuck you. Democrats had years of unfettered access to law making to produce something that was going to work. Congress wont work because either the democrats will fillibuster the measure in the Senate, claiming Republicans are all heartless monsters, or Obama will veto it. That's why.

Last month, I landed in the ER twice in one week. I have a shit ACA policy, but at least the premiums are subsidized.
So, instead of $14k, I'm looking at $6k. And from now until the end of the calendar year, it's all FREEEEEEEEEE.

Really? On what planet do you live on? It is bankrupting the hospitals in my neck of the woods.

Last month, I landed in the ER twice in one week. I have a shit ACA policy, but at least the premiums are subsidized.
So, instead of $14k, I'm looking at $6k. And from now until the end of the calendar year, it's all FREEEEEEEEEE.
Mine is only 70/30 after deductible.
That even goes for scripts

Which begs the question... where will I come up with that $6K? Fuck if I know. :dunno:

Mine is only 70/30 after deductible.
That even goes for scripts
I honestly don't understand all that shit. I signed up for the cheapest plan offered. I'm in a serious cash-flow crunch.

Enjoy that $2 gasoline, Brotches. :slap:

Which begs the question... where will I come up with that $6K? Fuck if I know. :dunno:
The hospital has a "Patient Financial Assistance" program. So I filled out the form, wrote a cover letter, and supplied the last two year's tax returns. My letter stated that I am in a cyclical industry and that my 2015 return will reflect a drastic reduction in income.

The bitches didn't buy it. Fuck them.

ER care represents the most expensive form of care, often delivered to people who dont need it. Did you forget that talking point?

According to the survey you're citing, you don't have a flood of people getting lower-acuity services that that should be addressed in other settings. The number of ER docs surveyed who say acuity is increasing is much higher than those saying the opposite.

o0p89f.png

Which means if the surveyed docs' perceptions are correct and volumes are going up, it's not because more people who "don't need it" are showing up but rather because apparently the additional people who are showing up are even worse off than the average ER patient pre-ACA.

Does that make any sense? I don't know, perhaps it shows the limitations of relying on a survey of ER doc perceptions to get a handle on these issues. But what these results don't suggest is that the problem is more people are turning ERs into primary care clinics.

Forum List

Back