Are aliens really going to have to land on this planet

Oh so this is the new creationist myth. It is only Adam @ 6K. L
There are many theories. We don't all have the same beliefs. I'm an advocate for this one.
You do not need to believe Bishop Ussher's math. He made a good guess that fit the data of the time. The easy explanation is God is a busy guy. He did not put everyone into the Bible. It helps to explain the outside Eden creation.
The Bible clearly states that man can not know God's time. So no one can FIGURE OUT when Adam was created. But as to other Humans God was clear on that too, Cain went to live with them.
That is a cop out. We use human time. The 6K is in human time.

There are many theories. We don't all have the same beliefs. I'm an advocate for this one.
You do not need to believe Bishop Ussher's math. He made a good guess that fit the data of the time. The easy explanation is God is a busy guy. He did not put everyone into the Bible. It helps to explain the outside Eden creation.
The Bible clearly states that man can not know God's time. So no one can FIGURE OUT when Adam was created. But as to other Humans God was clear on that too, Cain went to live with them.
Human time is not God's time and as he stated we can not fathom his time so NO man or woman can know when Adam was created.

Human time is not God's time and as he stated we can not fathom his time so NO man or woman can know when Adam was created.
I agree with the last half and do not agree that you need the first half.

Again we deal with human time. God can have any time he wants. I do not hold him to 24 hour days during creation.

You all have to deal with Paleolithic farmers 12,000 years ago.

Ya we are missing the ability through technology to check distant systems with anything remotely like an ability to tell if life resides on any planets.
SETI is pretty good at listening for radio signals or another signs that an advanced civilization could send, but agreed we don't presently have a means to visually determine if there is life on other worlds.
Life on other planets may not be technologically advanced. Or it may just be starting out. You assume that the nearer systems must have intelligent life with no basis for that to be assumed.
Our star formed late in the formation of the Milky Way galaxy. We're millions of years behind those stars closer to the center.

Estimating the Age of the Milky Way - Universe Today
.....The Sun and its planetary system was formed about 4,560 million years ago, but many other stars formed much earlier. Some of the oldest stars in the Milky Way are found in large stellar clusters, in particular in “globular clusters” (PR Photo 23a/04), so called because of their spheroidal shape.

Stars belonging to a globular cluster were born together, from the same cloud and at the same time. Since stars of different masses evolve at different rates, it is possible to measure the age of globular clusters with a reasonably good accuracy. The oldest ones are found to be more than 13,000 million years old..
But not to the stars closest to us. And I suggest you reread your science if the signal was far enough away chances are it missed us entirely or was so degraded we can not recognize it as a signal. Further just because life may evolve on NUMEROUS planets does not mean intelligent tool using life evolved capable of space travel or science.
The center of the galaxy is waay too hostile to have life, agreed. Life occurs in the safe outer spiral arms.
Even in the center stars are very far away from each other. Usually anyways

Isn't it true our Galaxy will eventually cross over another and no stars will touch? I saw something about this on the cosmos

As for Genesis, only if you take the Bible literally.
He meant what He said.
Who? The Bible was canonized by a group of guys in 325AD, it wasn't handed down by God as the Ten Commandments were to Moses. Do you only accept the King James interpretation?
As a matter of Fact that IS the only version I accept.
Why? Why is only the King James version the only acceptable version of the Bible?

Do you take Genesis literally? That the world is only about 6000 years old? That God created Adam then Eve? Who did their children mate with to have grandchildren for Adam and Eve?

How about Noah's family after the Flood?
In Genesis it is clear that Cain went and lived with OTHER people. The bible is not a source to claim only those God Created were on the Earth. As for 6000 years only a fool believes that as we have reams of data to prove life existed before then.
Agreed with all of your statement except the claim that God didn't create the other people Cain went to or who Adam and Eve's children mated to produce grandchildren.

Are aliens really going to have to land on this planet right in front of us all before we take space travel seriously?
I searched all over the net and can't find anyone who makes the argument that we are alone. And it seems religion is the main reason anyone thinks we are alone. They'll use scientific information to say it's all too perfect so must be a miracle. Anything this perfect must have a creator. Well, maybe not.

And anything we don't know must be god.

If anyone can find someone on the internet claiming we are alone I'd love to hear their arguments.

Or are the people who believe we are alone not credible? Probably a response to all their arguments so you only find the nutters here.

Give me a link please of someone claiming we are probably alone.

Even religious people here conceed we probably aren't alone. The ones who deny refuse to admit they are ignorant

Scientifically, there is no evidence of other life forms. That's all it means.

While we can extrapolate the idea that if it happened once, it can happen again, the fact we've found no signs of other civilizations, much less any signs of extraterrestrial life, is a very curious issue. Perhaps we're missing something.
Ya we are missing the ability through technology to check distant systems with anything remotely like an ability to tell if life resides on any planets.
SETI is pretty good at listening for radio signals or another signs that an advanced civilization could send, but agreed we don't presently have a means to visually determine if there is life on other worlds.
Life on other planets may not be technologically advanced. Or it may just be starting out. You assume that the nearer systems must have intelligent life with no basis for that to be assumed.
Our star formed late in the formation of the Milky Way galaxy. We're millions of years behind those stars closer to the center.

.....The Sun and its planetary system was formed about 4,560 million years ago, but many other stars formed much earlier. Some of the oldest stars in the Milky Way are found in large stellar clusters, in particular in “globular clusters” (PR Photo 23a/04), so called because of their spheroidal shape.

Stars belonging to a globular cluster were born together, from the same cloud and at the same time. Since stars of different masses evolve at different rates, it is possible to measure the age of globular clusters with a reasonably good accuracy. The oldest ones are found to be more than 13,000 million years old..
But not to the stars closest to us. And I suggest you reread your science if the signal was far enough away chances are it missed us entirely or was so degraded we can not recognize it as a signal. Further just because life may evolve on NUMEROUS planets does not mean intelligent tool using life evolved capable of space travel or science.
Obviously true, but not what I claimed. Do the math:
How Many Stars Are in the Milky Way?
So is there any way to figure out how many stars are for sure? In the end, it comes down to an estimate. In one calculation, the Milky Way has a mass of about 100 billion solar masses, so it is easiest to translate that to 100 billion stars. This accounts for the stars that would be bigger or smaller than our sun, and averages them out. Other mass estimates bring the number up to 400 billion.

How Many Galaxies Are There?
.....Estimating how many galaxies are throughout the universe is a tougher job, however. Sheer numbers is one problem — once the count gets into the billions, it takes a while to do the addition.....

Even if the chances of advanced life are 0.0000000000000001, that's still leaves a lot of alien life forms running around the Universe.....if ours is the only one.

Obviously true, but not what I claimed. Do the math:
How Many Stars Are in the Milky Way?
So is there any way to figure out how many stars are for sure? In the end, it comes down to an estimate. In one calculation, the Milky Way has a mass of about 100 billion solar masses, so it is easiest to translate that to 100 billion stars. This accounts for the stars that would be bigger or smaller than our sun, and averages them out. Other mass estimates bring the number up to 400 billion.

How Many Galaxies Are There?
.....Estimating how many galaxies are throughout the universe is a tougher job, however. Sheer numbers is one problem — once the count gets into the billions, it takes a while to do the addition.....

Even if the chances of advanced life are 0.0000000000000001, that's still leaves a lot of alien life forms running around the Universe.....if ours is the only one.
People who deny the idea that we are probably not alone are thinking really small. They probably think if there were other planets with life god would have mentioned it. Since the men who wrote the holy books didn't have telescopes they thought we were all there was and the center of it all.

But if there is a god then the universe is the most interesting collection of trillions of stars that have life, each one unique. Like snowflakes no two are exactly the same

Isn't it true our Galaxy will eventually cross over another and no stars will touch? I saw something about this on the cosmos
Correct. The Milky Way galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy are fated to collide with nary a star touching. Awesome, eh?

Four billion years from now:
Milky Way Has 4 Billion Years to Live — But Our Sun Will Survive

A truly beautiful dance of physics:

Maybe then it will be easier to interstellar travel. Won't we be closer to other stars when they cross?

He meant what He said.
Who? The Bible was canonized by a group of guys in 325AD, it wasn't handed down by God as the Ten Commandments were to Moses. Do you only accept the King James interpretation?
Why? Why is only the King James version the only acceptable version of the Bible?

Do you take Genesis literally? That the world is only about 6000 years old? That God created Adam then Eve? Who did their children mate with to have grandchildren for Adam and Eve?

In Genesis it is clear that Cain went and lived with OTHER people. The bible is not a source to claim only those God Created were on the Earth. As for 6000 years only a fool believes that as we have reams of data to prove life existed before then.
Agreed with all of your statement except the claim that God didn't create the other people Cain went to or who Adam and Eve's children mated to produce grandchildren.
I never said God did not create them. Perhaps you can highlight for me where I said that?

I never said God did not create them. Perhaps you can highlight for me where I said that?

The Bible says God first created Adam and Eve. It doesn't talk about the other people He created because it wasn't pertinent to the story.

The Bible says God created life on Earth. It doesn't talk about all the other planets with life on them because it wasn't pertinent to the story.

The Bible says Noah's family were the only survivors in their region. It didn't talk about other regions and the other survivors because it wasn't pertinent to the story. lol

Correct. The Milky Way galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy are fated to collide with nary a star touching. Awesome, eh?

Maybe then it will be easier to interstellar travel. Won't we be closer to other stars when they cross?

It won't happen for four billion years. Hopefully we'd have developed something better than an oversized aluminum beer can for transportation.

The KJV doesn't mention it.

The Bible says God first created Adam and Eve. It doesn't talk about the other people He created because it wasn't pertinent to the story.

The Bible says God created life on Earth. It doesn't talk about all the other planets with life on them because it wasn't pertinent to the story.

The Bible says Noah's family were the only survivors in their region. It didn't talk about other regions and the other survivors because it wasn't pertinent to the story. lol
The whole idea of the Flood was to wipe out everyone but Noah and his family. Are you saying the story is misleading? That the entire world wasn't flooded or that there were other boats?

It won't happen for four billion years. Hopefully we'd have developed something better than an oversized aluminum beer can for transportation.

Maybe a floating planet/spaceship? This is why I want to mine the meteor belt that's close to mars. First step is get to mars.

I can't imagine there is a planet better than ours, except for maybe a young virgin planet younger than ours.

We need to be able to bounce from star to star. Or live on something we've made that we can move if a meteor is coming. Maybe even if they just hover by Mars and never leave our solar system. But one day hopefully they will.

Maybe a floating planet/spaceship? This is why I want to mine the meteor belt that's close to mars. First step is get to mars.

I can't imagine there is a planet better than ours, except for maybe a young virgin planet younger than ours.

We need to be able to bounce from star to star. Or live on something we've made that we can move if a meteor is coming. Maybe even if they just hover by Mars and never leave our solar system. But one day hopefully they will.

First step is to get to Mars. I think we will, it's only a question of when.

I can't imagine there is a planet better than ours Nothing wrong with this planet it's a beautiful place but we need to do better at keeping it clean.

Or live on something we've made that we can move if a meteor is coming.
Wouldn't it be easier to move the meteor? Hard to believe we're spending gobs of money on nuclear weapons to kill each other instead of planetary defensive systems to prevent a meteor/asteroid from crashing into the planet and wiping our humanity and many other species.

Forum List

Back