Navy's New Death Ray?

Excellent weapon! Indeed better than most aircraft defense systems. Only 60 kW? Is that enough? And only $39M to develop it? Why didn't the soviets and the Russians develop it too then?

I imagine its efficiency requirements are line of sight and clear skies, because rain or mountains would attenuate the beam pretty much.

Imagine the possibilities afforded to anyone with this weapon in their arsenal.

iZdx0lQ.jpg

Excellent weapon! Indeed better than most aircraft defense systems. Only 60 kW? Is that enough? And only $39M to develop it? Why didn't the soviets and the Russians develop it too then?

I imagine its efficiency requirements are line of sight and clear skies, because rain or mountains would attenuate the beam pretty much.
remember that this is a Navy weapon. Perhaps that's why the Department of Defense decided to put this weapon on a ship in the open sea. The mountains are all under water out there.
Rain? I'm not sure how rain would affect laser light but the spokesman 's
optimism seems to suggest rain isn't a problem.

remember that this is a Navy weapon. Perhaps that's why the Department of Defense decided to put this weapon on a ship in the open sea. The mountains are all under water out there.

I think the best part of this weapon is its low collateral around the target. I guess it could be ordered in arrays to cover larger target areas such as entire Isis villages of training and ammo depos. This weapon, like all electronics, will be cheaper to make and cheaper to buy, the more is ordered worldwide. So I think every government, especially NATO allies should buy this in great quantities. Ocean ships seem a great platform, but I think satellites in orbit would be even better, especially in the case of Isis which is surrounded by mountains. Do you think the US Navy will re test this from space too?

I think the best part of this weapon is its low collateral around the target. I guess it could be ordered in arrays to cover larger target areas such as entire Isis villages of training and ammo depos. This weapon, like all electronics, will be cheaper to make and cheaper to buy, the more is ordered worldwide. So I think every government, especially NATO allies should buy this in great quantities. Ocean ships seem a great platform, but I think satellites in orbit would be even better, especially in the case of Isis which is surrounded by mountains. Do you think the US Navy will re test this from space too?
I'm curious about that low collateral damage selling point. It makes me wonder why the designers of destructive weapons are becoming more humane.

The cheapness and efficiency of this thing could make it the ultimate weapon. At $1.00 a shot to put down a multimillion dollar drone, airplane, or missle...I like the odds. BTW have you noticed that since the LaWS system was made public North Korea has been eerily silent about their missle launches.Heh heh heh.. There may be some reason to rethink testing expensive missles which could be destroyed within minutes of launching or right over the launchpads. And that feat could be accomplished via satellites or drones... To futher frustrate the opposition, the beam is reportedly invisible....Expect to see apparent spontaneous combustions taking place aroung Iranian and NK missle testing sites in the near future.

Last edited:
That weapons system was tested on the NAVAIR Sea Test Range Pt Mugu CA

Ask me how I know lol

-Geaux

That weapons system was tested on the NAVAIR Sea Test Range Pt Mugu CA

Ask me how I know lol

-Geaux
GROAN! See folks! The damn konservatives are already privy to the inside scoop on this. Heaven help us all.

I'm curious about that low collateral damage selling point. It makes me wonder why the designers of destructive weapons are becoming more humane.

The cheapness and efficiency of this thing could make it the ultimate weapon. At $1.00 a shot to put down a multimillion dollar drone, airplane, or missle...I like the odds. BTW have you noticed that since the LaWS system was made public North Korea has been eerily silent about their missle launches.Heh heh heh.. There may be some reason to rethink testing expensive missles which could be destroyed within minutes of launching or right over the launchpads. And that feat could be accomplished via satellites or drones... To futher frustrate the opposition, the beam is reportedly invisible....Expect to see apparent spontaneous combustions taking place aroung Iranian and NK missle testing sites in the near future.

Yes. I would love to see the videos of those. That would be fun.

Forum List

Back