Arabic: "The Language of the Future"

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Feb 9, 2011.

1. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,542
    Schools should teach arabic, spanish, french, italian, chinese and russian even hebrew and latin.

the more knowledge at people's disposal, the better. communication is key and without it, we can't possibly understand how to deal with each other.

do you have any idea how useful people who speak arabic and farsi would be to our state department?

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,742
    The thing is our schools are filled with kids from other countries who don't even speak English, more priority has to be put on English. At my high school we had classes full of kids from other countries who didn't know or barely knew any English, ESL ( English as a second language) classes.

3. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,411
    I am fine with it so long as it stays an elective.

As it stands a good deal of kids are failing English in my opinion. Instead of worrying about a second language, they should be worried about the principal language.

4. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,742
    Exactly, California and Texas are full of kids who don't speak English. Teach them ENGLISH first, we'll worry about Arabic later.

5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,542
    in NYC, kids are tested for the G&T (gifted and talented) programs in their native language. I think that of 28 kids in my son's kindergarten class, my son was one of maybe 3 who spoke english at home. the rest all spoke russian. there were no ESL classes in russian and the kids had to keep up at G&T levels while learning in english.\

most of those kids did very well. i don't see what you do. although to be fair, that may have somethign to do with where i live.

6. High_Gravity

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,742
    To be honest I am not sure what went on in the ESL classes in Kansas City but I can tell you this, a number of kids from Bosnia and Vietnam graduated with me and were very poor at speaking English, barely enough to get by. Kansas City was like a hub for refugees from Bosnia and Vietnam, so we had alot of them in our schools.

7. wolf_22

wolf_22 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    but thats whyy we have so many problems - most other countires people learn 2 or 3 languages.
    we're started to see the need to catch up as we have jobs being outsourced and when we compare out students with other countries

maybe if our kids learned more than one language in early childhood they would do better with all languages

8. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,474
    Arabic will never be a language of the future till Islam which is intrinsically tied to it goes through a reformation and liberates itself from a 1300 year old culture bound and determined to remain there through violence and barbarism. 1300 years ago, it was the envy of the world... and never advanced since except when forced by superior cultures.

I sure hope that day comes soon for them.

9. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,416
    This is exactly how our education got screwed up in the first place. There is X amount of time in a school day. Use it to teach the basics. Once they learn the basics, teach them advanced courses.
    If the military needs spies that speak Arabic or Farsi they can teach them on their own time and budget.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Big Fitz

Big Fitz User Quit *****

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,474
    Someone inform me... is there an advantage to learning Arabic in daily life of the average American? I can understand Spanish in the US, because it's become too damn intrusive, and makes you eligible to be management over low/no skill laborers.

But really, in the corporate world, unless you are going to do lots of work in the middle east, where is this skill really usable? Why not learn Czech? Or Hungarian, or Tagalog, or Swahili? The only advantage you get is in the culture of Islam which means, unfortunately, it's of limited use/value outside of that niche.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1