Applebee's Owner: The Truth About $15 Minimum Wage

I had to go to Walmart today on the wife's orders. Since I don't usually shop there I am not all that familiar with them. What struck me though, while watching the poor customer service, the rude behavior and the inability to make change, is that none of the employees I saw seemed to be worth whatever they are being paid let alone raising them to $15. A quick trip there should kill the idea of raising the minimum wage for any observant person.

It's amazing that with the bad employees that you listed, last year Walmart made $132B in gross profit. So maybe you're blowing smoke?

last year Walmart made $132B in gross profit.

What tax rate did they pay?

They paid 3% of total revenue in ALL taxes. The American worker pays 12% of wages in taxes.

Nice sleight of hand ....$132B in gross profit, and ONLY 3% of total revenue in taxes. When you're trying to hide something, the best way is to change the point of reference, right?

In case you didn't notice - and I'm sure you didn't - that means that Walmart paid $15 billion in taxes (on $488 billion total revenue). You also probably didn't notice that this was GROSS profit. Gross profit is defined as:

Revenue - (Direct materials + Direct labor + Factory overhead)

It does not include administrative costs (to include those costs necessary to maintain the work force - vacations, healthcare, etc.) Gross profit is a generally useless measurement of the efficiency, profitability, or value of a business. It is simply an intermediate step in the calculation of net profit (which IS a valid measurement of efficiency, etc.)

If you want to tell a story, at least tell the truth. Don't try to hoodwink the reader.

My attempt was to compare and contrast Walmart with a worker. Tax wise, Walmart paid 3% of all of the monies they made, the workers paid 12%+ of all of the monies they made.
Then, you blew it ....

last year Walmart made $132B in gross profit.

What tax rate did they pay?

They paid 3% of total revenue in ALL taxes. The American worker pays 12% of wages in taxes.

Nice sleight of hand ....$132B in gross profit, and ONLY 3% of total revenue in taxes. When you're trying to hide something, the best way is to change the point of reference, right?

In case you didn't notice - and I'm sure you didn't - that means that Walmart paid $15 billion in taxes (on $488 billion total revenue). You also probably didn't notice that this was GROSS profit. Gross profit is defined as:

It does not include administrative costs (to include those costs necessary to maintain the work force - vacations, healthcare, etc.) Gross profit is a generally useless measurement of the efficiency, profitability, or value of a business. It is simply an intermediate step in the calculation of net profit (which IS a valid measurement of efficiency, etc.)

If you want to tell a story, at least tell the truth. Don't try to hoodwink the reader.

My attempt was to compare and contrast Walmart with a worker. Tax wise, Walmart paid 3% of all of the monies they made, the workers paid 12%+ of all of the monies they made.

Tax wise, Walmart paid 3% of all of the monies they made

The fact that you think revenue = "monies they made" is why you're mocked here.

I wrote; Tax wise, Walmart paid 3% of all of the monies they made, the workers paid 12%+ of all of the monies they made. Do you think that is fair?
No --- not only isn't it fair, it also isn't true.

Think of all the tax-free benefits each employee gets - add that to the "all the monies they made" - compensate for deductions, etc that lowered their tax load ...

and then you might - just might - be in the ballpark.

The bottom line: The Applebee's owner is full of shit.

If he were, he wouldn't be closing restaurants. It makes no sense to close restaurants if they make money now does it? Seems it is you who doesn't know your ass from the proverbial hole in the ground.

Read the link. He's re-branding restaurants and completely misleading on the connoisseur concept.

Maybe YOU should read the link .... here's what it actually says:

1) They are closing 160 restaurants.
2) They are going to open 125 restaurants globally under a different name.

Now, let's look at that. 160 restaurants are closing. Jobs are lost.

"Rebranding" is a standard business technique to restructure your management and employee structure, particularly when you have a large real property holding. You simply close the store, lay off all the staff - open up a "new" store (under a different name in order to avoid NLRB violations), and hire new staff at a significantly lower labor cost.

Relocation, on the other hand, is a way to remove your company from a fiscally unhealthy environment, and relocate to one that is more profitable. For example, closing a store in Seattle - with its $15/hr labor cost base, and moving to Peoria (where it's $8) or to Cairo (where it's $3/day).

How many of those relocations do you suppose are going outside the US?

I wrote; Tax wise, Walmart paid 3% of all of the monies they made, the workers paid 12%+ of all of the monies they made. Do you think that is fair?
I think they should go on strike.

Who is 'they?'

Think of all the tax-free benefits each employee gets - add that to the "all the monies they made" - compensate for deductions, etc that lowered their tax load ...

That would be fair if workers received the same deductions.

The bottom line: The Applebee's owner is full of shit.

If he were, he wouldn't be closing restaurants. It makes no sense to close restaurants if they make money now does it? Seems it is you who doesn't know your ass from the proverbial hole in the ground.

Read the link. He's re-branding restaurants and completely misleading on the connoisseur concept.

Maybe YOU should read the link .... here's what it actually says:

1) They are closing 160 restaurants.
2) They are going to open 125 restaurants globally under a different name.

Now, let's look at that. 160 restaurants are closing. Jobs are lost.

"Rebranding" is a standard business technique to restructure your management and employee structure, particularly when you have a large real property holding. You simply close the store, lay off all the staff - open up a "new" store (under a different name in order to avoid NLRB violations), and hire new staff at a significantly lower labor cost.

Relocation, on the other hand, is a way to remove your company from a fiscally unhealthy environment, and relocate to one that is more profitable. For example, closing a store in Seattle - with its $15/hr labor cost base, and moving to Peoria (where it's $8) or to Cairo (where it's $3/day).

How many of those relocations do you suppose are going outside the US?

No, they 'might' close.

Re-branding is simply closing under one name and opening as another. Such as Morton's closing opening as Lawry's.

Why is that? They don't have the expenses that the restaurant owner does. Your assertion is ridiculous.

Why is that? They don't have the expenses that the restaurant owner does. Your assertion is ridiculous.

Worker don't have expenses? Your assertion is ridiculous.

They don't have the expenses that the restaraunteur does and that is obvious to anyone with a brain which, as I have said before, leaves you out.

They don't have the expenses that the restaraunteur does and that is obvious to anyone with a brain which, as I have said before, leaves you out.

Workers don't buy food, pay utility bills, pay for shelter?

Who is 'they?'
Walmart employees. They're obviously getting the shaft, but it is difficult for me have any sympathy for them if they won't grow some balls and go on strike to increase their monetary compensation.

Who is 'they?'
Walmart employees. They're obviously getting the shaft, but it is difficult for me have any sympathy for them if they won't grow some balls and go on strike to increase their monetary compensation.

Where would they go? Ninety-five percent of all employers in this country screw their employees.

Matt recently brought you up to date on how liberals’ minimum wage demands have done severe damage to Seattle's and New York’s businesses. He highlighted a New York Post report revealing that, in the wake of the increased rate to $15 an hour, New York lost a staggering 1,000 restaurants.

Applebee's was one of the businesses that has been especially hard pressed by the minimum wage hike. Zane Tankel, the CEO of Applebee’s New York franchise, explained that his restaurants were forced to fire at least 1,000 employees so far thanks to the liberal policy. He shared the unfortunate news with Fox Business's Stuart Varney on Monday.

Instead of typical servers, the CEO explained that they will soon be replaced by concierges, who merely check on customers from time to time to make them feel "warm and comfortable."

"The model now that we're heading towards where we had one server for three or four tables, we're moving towards one server for ten tables, eliminating about two-thirds of our labor ultimately. But it's because of Cuomo, De Blasio, the liberal agenda."

If Applebee's completely follows through with its concierge service, nearly 2,000 employees will be heading for the exit, Newsbusters explains.

Tankel discussed this same issue with Varney in January, back when he had *only* fired 500 employees.

“We can’t raise prices anymore,” he said at the time, rather candidly, so they had to take drastic measures.

The lost workers, he explained, could be replaced with tablets that are placed on customers’ tables.

"Increasing minimum wage is technology's best friend," Tankel concluded.
We raise the minimum wage, as if that cures poverty. I see these street side beggars . Twenty years ago? Not an issue., I see the HUGE increase in illegal aliens as well , coincidence? Why are we so eager to excuse illegal migrants and then ignore poor needy folks that need jobs? Why the disconnect?

Matt recently brought you up to date on how liberals’ minimum wage demands have done severe damage to Seattle's and New York’s businesses. He highlighted a New York Post report revealing that, in the wake of the increased rate to $15 an hour, New York lost a staggering 1,000 restaurants.

Applebee's was one of the businesses that has been especially hard pressed by the minimum wage hike. Zane Tankel, the CEO of Applebee’s New York franchise, explained that his restaurants were forced to fire at least 1,000 employees so far thanks to the liberal policy. He shared the unfortunate news with Fox Business's Stuart Varney on Monday.

Instead of typical servers, the CEO explained that they will soon be replaced by concierges, who merely check on customers from time to time to make them feel "warm and comfortable."

"The model now that we're heading towards where we had one server for three or four tables, we're moving towards one server for ten tables, eliminating about two-thirds of our labor ultimately. But it's because of Cuomo, De Blasio, the liberal agenda."

If Applebee's completely follows through with its concierge service, nearly 2,000 employees will be heading for the exit, Newsbusters explains.

Tankel discussed this same issue with Varney in January, back when he had *only* fired 500 employees.

“We can’t raise prices anymore,” he said at the time, rather candidly, so they had to take drastic measures.

The lost workers, he explained, could be replaced with tablets that are placed on customers’ tables.

We raise the minimum wage, as if that cures poverty. I see these street side beggars . Twenty years ago? Not an issue., I see the HUGE increase in illegal aliens as well , coincidence? Why are we so eager to excuse illegal migrants and then ignore poor needy folks that need jobs? Why the disconnect?

Since minimum wage is $15.00/hr below where it should be (23.50hr), yes. The problem is the 65 to 75 year old's. The peace, live, and rock and roll crowd that for the most part had everything handed to them. They've become the 'I've got mine, so fuck everyone else' crowd.

Since minimum wage is $15.00/hr below where it should be (23.50hr), yes. The problem is the 65 to 75 year old's. The peace, live, and rock and roll crowd that for the most part had everything handed to them. They've become the 'I've got mine, so fuck everyone else' crowd.

Since minimum wage is $15.00/hr below where it should be (23.50hr),

You've never provided proof for this claim.
Provide your starting date and Index (CPI, GDP deflator, etc) you're using and I'll show you your error.

Ridiculous.

Are you running out of people to blame for your own shortcomings?

Provide your starting date and Index (CPI, GDP deflator, etc) you're using and I'll show you your error.

Let's use 1970 to today.

I use actual numbers. Purchased a car lately? How about a house? How about a restaurant steak? A pair of Levi 501's? Rent?

Here's an article I posted for you before. I see you didn't read it.....

The Major Problem With CPI And How It Hurts The Economy

Ridiculous.

Are you running out of people to blame for your own shortcomings?

Or did I get it right?

Let's use 1970 to today.

I use actual numbers. Purchased a car lately? How about a house? How about a restaurant steak? A pair of Levi 501's? Rent?

Let's use 1970 to today.

Thanks.
Where is the Index that uses only cars, houses, steaks and 501s?
The cars and houses would need to be equivalent, for a more accurate measurement.

I read it. And many others like it.
It doesn't help prove your claim, but thanks nonetheless.

Let's use 1970 to today.

Let's use 1970 to today.

Thanks.
Where is the Index that uses only cars, houses, steaks and 501s?
The cars and houses would need to be equivalent, for a more accurate measurement.

I read it. And many others like it.
It doesn't help prove your claim, but thanks nonetheless.

I used items that people actually buy.

Why doesn't the article not prove my claim?

Forum List

Back