AP: Half of U.S. pays no federal income tax

What preamble is Joe referring to?
I don't see anywhere in the preamble where it says the government is authorized to take from the moderately well off and give to the poor.

That part is in Art. 1, Sec. 8.; tax and borrow to provide for the general welfare.

Government exists to promote the general welfare. That requires equitable tax policies. Equitable does not necessarily mean equal tax rates.

Try and understand the difference between 'the general welfare f the United States' and individual welfare and entitlement programs...

And yet another winger in support of only SELECTIVE equality... so typical of the far left

Crawl back under your rock, ignorant troll

Try again, dumbass.

Promoting individual welfare does promote the general welfare. We can't be healthy and prosperous as a nation if we're a significant portion of us are poor and sick.

No, we can't be healthy and propserous as a nation if we rob our most successful people, and remove motivation for the rest to climb up out of the gutter.

Not nonsense.

It's in the Preamble.

Again... try and understand the difference between 'the general welfare of the united states' and personal welfare and entitlement programs

The framers never intended to government to play robin hood

The Constitutional Dictionary - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Quit while you are behind, idiot

Try again, dumbass.

Your link is an unsupported assertion. Make an argument or concede the point.

Nowhere does "the general welfare of the United States" refer to individual people.
For example:

I am not entitled to a government paid bodyguard from terrorists. My country is entitled to government paid defense from terrorism.

Thats my argument. I will respond to your refute.

Not nonsense.

It's in the Preamble.

Again... try and understand the difference between 'the general welfare of the united states' and personal welfare and entitlement programs

The framers never intended to government to play robin hood

The Constitutional Dictionary - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Quit while you are behind, idiot

Try again, dumbass.

Your link is an unsupported assertion. Make an argument or concede the point.

Idiot.. with any education or wisdom you would indeed know that the term welfare as used by the framers does not mean entitlements and redistribution... you are indeed one ignorant motherfucking troll

U.S. Constitution - Preamble
Madison on the Meaning of the "General Welfare," the "Purpose" of Enumerated Powers, and the "Definition" of Constitutional Government -- Sorenson 22 (2): 109 -- Publius: The Journal of Federalism
general welfare

Go fuck yourself back under the rock you crawled out from

Moral arguments aside - has it occurred to the boneheads in DC, that the "5 percent" may be shrinking? How many small businesses have gone under this year? How many executives making six figures are now unemployed? This VAT is inevitible and I also see the income tax on the middle class to rise. Promoting class warfare during a severe recession does nothing but create - trickle down misery.

Try and understand the difference between 'the general welfare f the United States' and individual welfare and entitlement programs...

And yet another winger in support of only SELECTIVE equality... so typical of the far left

Crawl back under your rock, ignorant troll

Try again, dumbass.

Promoting individual welfare does promote the general welfare. We can't be healthy and prosperous as a nation if we're a significant portion of us are poor and sick.

Try again dumbass... it's not hard to research what was meant with the statement of promoting the general welfare or providing for the general welfare of the United States...

Robbing the wealth of Canada and redistributing it among US citizens would promote the general welfare as well.. it does not give the government the authority to do such a thing

You also make the mistake of tying individual well being with the well being of the populace and citizenry as a whole

You are not owed jack shit for your personal well being or to take care of your personal responsibilities at the expense of the government or any other citizen...

Try again, dumbass.

The whole is the sum of the parts. A country of diseased paupers cannot be healthy and prosperous.

If you paid more than $0.01 in 2009 income tax, you are in a similar predicament to mine - we've each paid more US income tax than GM and Exxon combined.

It's funny how I can be forced to pay thousands of dollars annually while trying to raise a family, while these companies can earn tens of billions and keep all of it - in the name of raising a profit.

What preamble is Joe referring to?
I don't see anywhere in the preamble where it says the government is authorized to take from the moderately well off and give to the poor.

That part is in Art. 1, Sec. 8.; tax and borrow to provide for the general welfare.

You gotta love how idiot left wingers leave off the end of that phrase...

General Welfare of the United States... not particular individuals within the states and not to take over the personal responsibilities of individuals

Being as ignorant as you is no way to go through life

Its a sad reflection on how little money 50% of Americans make.

And what a person or group of persons make as individuals is on nobody but THEM... but that also should not exclude them from being treated equally and blindly by the government in terms of taxation for running the government....

Damn you!

Its your own fault you are poor!

Hmmmmm... Whose word should we take on the meaning of the General Welfare clause?...yours?... or James "Father of the Constitution" Madison's?

If Congress can employ money indefinitely to the general welfare,
and are the sole and supreme judges of the general welfare,
they may take the care of religion into their own hands;
they may appoint teachers in every State, county and parish
and pay them out of their public treasury;
they may take into their own hands the education of children,
establishing in like manner schools throughout the Union;
they may assume the provision of the poor;
they may undertake the regulation of all roads other than post-roads;
in short, every thing, from the highest object of state legislation
down to the most minute object of police,
would be thrown under the power of Congress.... Were the power
of Congress to be established in the latitude contended for,
it would subvert the very foundations, and transmute the very nature
of the limited Government established by the people of America."
-- James Madison

Such a quandary..... :lol:

Try again, dumbass.

Try again dumbass... it's not hard to research what was meant with the statement of promoting the general welfare or providing for the general welfare of the United States...

Robbing the wealth of Canada and redistributing it among US citizens would promote the general welfare as well.. it does not give the government the authority to do such a thing

You also make the mistake of tying individual well being with the well being of the populace and citizenry as a whole

You are not owed jack shit for your personal well being or to take care of your personal responsibilities at the expense of the government or any other citizen...

Try again, dumbass.

The whole is the sum of the parts. A country of diseased paupers cannot be healthy and prosperous.

Try again you fuck nugget

The freedoms are ensured for individuals... the protection of the union is for the country as a whole... there is nothing within our constitution or governmental setup that has the government taking over your personal responsibilities for you

And what a person or group of persons make as individuals is on nobody but THEM... but that also should not exclude them from being treated equally and blindly by the government in terms of taxation for running the government....

Damn you!

Yep... not the government's fault... or not Joe Sixpack's fault in Bald Knob Arkansas

If you paid more than $0.01 in 2009 income tax, you are in a similar predicament to mine - we've each paid more US income tax than GM and Exxon combined.

It's funny how I can be forced to pay thousands of dollars annually while trying to raise a family, while these companies can earn tens of billions and keep all of it - in the name of raising a profit.

Corporations just pass their costs on to consumers anyway. It's a fool's errand to try to squeeze cash out of them. Workers end up paying twice... once on their own income, and again on the higher cost of goods and services.

It's better to leave corporate taxation at a minimum so as to keep prices low and allow enough money for wage increases to their employees.

Of course GM posted a loss of 4.5 Billion in the last quarter of 2009, but your point illustrates the basic problem with the tax code(s).
The fair tax, flat tax and other non progressive taxes appeal to those who don't think through the problem of too much wealth in the hands of too few. World history is repleat with examples where the small ruling class amasses great wealth and privilige while the hoi polloi suffer.
I suffered through three pages of whiners which I find revolting but not so much as to cause me to take up arms against those incapable of critical thinking, and that too provides an example. People will revolt when their expectations of a better life cannot be met, or when they realize the ruling elite don't care if their children suffer; thus Tea Party anger, manufactured anger, is absurd. Listening to people, well fed and clothed not in rags but middle class attire, and some carrying expensive hand guns in expensive holsters scream revoltution is theater. Not a one has the balls to do anything but make threats, and the ones who do shot those they disagree with in the back.

Last edited:
You might want to consider that the reason we have so many low income Americans not paying income taxes is the result of having so many low income Americans.

Those good paying jobs in manufacturing etc., that have all disappeared over the years have been replaced, essentially, by lower paying jobs that don't generate income taxes.

Damn you!

At least up until now responsibility for success has rested with the individual.

Now we can blame economic failure on the government.

Someone is keeping strange stats here. Half of America pays no income tax. Sixty percent receives some type of entitlement. I am under the average annual income level and working. No entitlements, but a tax bill hmmm... I smell cheating.

Forum List

Back