AP: Half of U.S. pays no federal income tax

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaféAuLait, Apr 8, 2010.

  1. CaféAuLait
    Offline

    CaféAuLait This Space for Rent

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7,776
    Thanks Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    Half of U.S. pays no federal income tax
    Credits for low- and middle-income families exempt many





    Half of Americans pay no federal income tax - Tax Tactics - msnbc.com
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. oreo
    Offline

    oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    12,438
    Thanks Received:
    1,959
    Trophy Points:
    255
    Location:
    rocky mountains
    Ratings:
    +4,147


    Yes sad but very true. Only 5% of this population makes over 250K per year and less than 1% of the population makes over 300K per year.

    But Obama and liberals want to hammer them again with higher taxes---:lol::lol::lol:

    It really doesn't make any sense--does it? Of course, not unless you're a socialist and believe in wealth redistribution--then it would make sense to you.
     
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. CaféAuLait
    Offline

    CaféAuLait This Space for Rent

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7,776
    Thanks Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +2,323


    The article adds:


    Wow!
     
  4. oreo
    Offline

    oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    12,438
    Thanks Received:
    1,959
    Trophy Points:
    255
    Location:
    rocky mountains
    Ratings:
    +4,147

    Yeah--it's called the "earned income tax CREDIT"--- meaning if you earned some income during the year, and didn't have any federal tax liability--this tax credit gives you back a federal government refund check--even if you didn't pay a penny in federal income tax during the year.

    I imagine with the economy in shambles--millions will be qualifying under this tax code this year.
     
  5. CaféAuLait
    Offline

    CaféAuLait This Space for Rent

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7,776
    Thanks Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    So what your saying is they pay nothing for infrastructure yet get to take advantage of such? They also “get paid” ( for the lack of a better word) as well by the top ten percent of earners? AND that same 10 percent of earners making over 300, 000 a year will now have to now have to pay for even more to pay for their health care too? :eek:
     
  6. GilbertArizona
    Offline

    GilbertArizona BANNED

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2010
    Messages:
    175
    Thanks Received:
    24
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Ratings:
    +24
    Half of folks don't pay any income tax? That is outrageous! When it was first implemented, more than 99% of the population didn't pay any income tax.
     
  7. oreo
    Offline

    oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2008
    Messages:
    12,438
    Thanks Received:
    1,959
    Trophy Points:
    255
    Location:
    rocky mountains
    Ratings:
    +4,147
    Yeah--but remember--you're really not talking about 10% of the population--you're stating the top 10% of wage earners--which is only a reflection of about 5% of the entire population who has been made responsible by federal tax structure of taking care of the other 95% of the population.
     
  8. CaféAuLait
    Offline

    CaféAuLait This Space for Rent

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2008
    Messages:
    7,776
    Thanks Received:
    1,947
    Trophy Points:
    245
    Location:
    Pacific Northwest
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    Help me pick my chin up off the floor-- I think it got stuck when my jaw just dropped.
     
  9. FA_Q2
    Offline

    FA_Q2 Gold Member

    Joined:
    Dec 12, 2009
    Messages:
    14,227
    Thanks Received:
    2,076
    Trophy Points:
    255
    Location:
    Washington State
    Ratings:
    +4,277
    Come now, members here have been stating this fact for many months. It has been well known here since the time I started on this board. This is just more official.

    Now, let's get back to crucifying Bush because he cut the taxes on those greedy rich bastards, never mind that he didn't cut taxes for the poor BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T PAY ANY TAXES TO CUT.
     
  10. Kex
    Offline

    Kex Member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2010
    Messages:
    408
    Thanks Received:
    32
    Trophy Points:
    16
    Ratings:
    +32
    Conservatives: Half of US population isn't taxed enough!!!!!
     

Share This Page