AP 'Fact Checking' Obama's Promises On Health Care and More

Here's the danger: The entrenched GOP leadership still doesn't get it. Today, Boehner blinked and said he would vote to extend the tax cuts for those who make less than $250K per year. Such compromises make the GOP the party of "Big Government Lite".

Yeah, that was disappointing. He did say it was bad public policy though. Maybe he has something else up his sleeve.

Yes, maybe he has something up his sleeve.

:rolleyes:

Or, he's doing the same thing Repubs have done for the past 20 years, and become Democrat-Lite.
Indeed. Unfortunately. :mad:

Here's the danger: The entrenched GOP leadership still doesn't get it. Today, Boehner blinked and said he would vote to extend the tax cuts for those who make less than $250K per year. Such compromises make the GOP the party of "Big Government Lite".

Yeah, that was disappointing. He did say it was bad public policy though. Maybe he has something else up his sleeve.

Or, he's doing the same thing Repubs have done for the past 20 years, and become Democrat-Lite.

Yes, he does.
Senate Republicans say they'll block tax increase - Yahoo! News
Now he gets to look bipartisan while still opposing bad policy. Hooray for Boehner! He will wrap Team Obama around his finger.
The funny thing is Obama blaming the GOP for this. The Democrats have enough votes on their own to push it through. It is the blocking by Democrats that is making it impossible.

the healthcare bill should be repealed, i think, until we know what's in it.
the bigger the government the better, i think...
it would be great if there were a big swap. everyone one who is not in the government now should become the government. conversely, everyone who is in the government now, become the rest of the country. i know this sounds like an ambitious plan, but, it could provide hope and change for promoting welfare and lower taxes. it could really work, i think, this is only my second post

Seriously?

Think about it and if you can't find at least four major problems with it, you should consider not making a third post.

If the Republicans do regain some power i think repealing parts of the Health Care debacle should be their #1 priority. They should at the very least repeal the mandatory coverage aspect. Fining and possibly imprisoning fellow Americans for not having health insurance is just plain Un-American. They gotta win some power back first though. So get out and vote.

Actually their #1 priority should be economy, meaning not funding legislation that was pushed through, cutting spending, paying down the debt. They should leave 'health care' repeal be, until the economy improves. If they come in and just start 'investigating' and complaining about Obama, they too will be out in 2012.

Yes, he does.
Now he gets to look bipartisan while still opposing bad policy. Hooray for Boehner! He will wrap Team Obama around his finger.
The funny thing is Obama blaming the GOP for this. The Democrats have enough votes on their own to push it through. It is the blocking by Democrats that is making it impossible.

I disagree.

He opened the door and led the way for tax increases on those who create jobs, which won't work. The only "positive" in this is that he increased the chances that the Republicans take the House and Senate.

But if things continue to get worse due to the Progressive and Progressive-lite view of economics, is it actually a positive?

Yes, he does.

I disagree.

He opened the door and led the way for tax increases on those who create jobs, which won't work. The only "positive" in this is that he increased the chances that the Republicans take the House and Senate.

But if things continue to get worse due to the Progressive and Progressive-lite view of economics, is it actually a positive?

I've read your post three times and still have no idea what you mean.

Boehner cleverly announced he would "work with" Obama, probably knowing full well the GOP in the Senate would block it anyway (and the GOP in the House doesn't have the votes to do much). So he looks like a deal maker and compromiser while in reality doing nothing f the sort. He personally opposed anything other than an across the board continuatuon of the cuts.

Yes, he does.

Well, if it makes you happy to believe Boehner's admission that he could fold to Dem pressure if forced to vote for a compromise is part of a vast master plan, then you go right ahead.

However, It seems more likely he's changed his mind since Boedicca called him and told him to get his head out of his ass.

It is all about framing the discussions and making the appearance of working for the public. These guys ALL care more about how things look than what the public wants or needs.

It is all about framing the discussions and making the appearance of working for the public. These guys ALL care more about how things look than what the public wants or needs.

:eek:

I thought Clinton was the only "Pander Bear."

Anyone that works in any capacity for the public cares more about their appearance than reality: It is the Curse of Democracy.

Yes, he does.

I disagree.

Boehner cleverly announced he would "work with" Obama, probably knowing full well the GOP in the Senate would block it anyway (and the GOP in the House doesn't have the votes to do much). So he looks like a deal maker and compromiser while in reality doing nothing f the sort. He personally opposed anything other than an across the board continuatuon of the cuts.

All that inside baseball and strategy is going to accomplish is a GOP Senator who has voted in favor of tax increases. Trying to play this game of appearances and conciliation is what messed things up in the first place.

Yes, he does.

I disagree.

Yeah, that Boner. What a kidder.

I disagree.

All that inside baseball and strategy is going to accomplish is a GOP Senator who has voted in favor of tax increases. Trying to play this game of appearances and conciliation is what messed things up in the first place.

Boehner is in the House of Representatives.
It wasn't trying to play the game. It was actually believing anyone could work succesfully with the Democrats to do anything other than be their fall guys. The Democrats repeatedly made agreements and then turned around and screwed the GOP, screaming how the GOP were tricksters. They are the North Koreans of the US political scene.

Boehner cleverly announced he would "work with" Obama, probably knowing full well the GOP in the Senate would block it anyway (and the GOP in the House doesn't have the votes to do much). So he looks like a deal maker and compromiser while in reality doing nothing f the sort.......

It wasn't trying to play the game.......

:eusa_eh:

Will you please make up your mind?

Frankly, I've begun to dislike Boehner only because I'm reading your description of his slimy behaviour.

Boehner cleverly announced he would "work with" Obama, probably knowing full well the GOP in the Senate would block it anyway (and the GOP in the House doesn't have the votes to do much). So he looks like a deal maker and compromiser while in reality doing nothing f the sort.......

Frankly, I've begun to dislike Boehner only because I'm reading your description of his slimy behaviour.
Look, it's called "politics". It's a game. It involves creating perceptions and strategies in order to look good, influence public opinion, and get things done.
If you think every political system is not like that then I'd suggest you grow the fuck up and get with the picture.
We are not going to be governed by people who say things with total unconcern for how they are going to be perceived in the media. That's just the reality. Live with it.

FACT CHECK: Obama's tone shifts on health care - Yahoo! News

FACT CHECK: Obama's tone shifts on health care

By ERICA WERNER and CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press Writers
Sat Sep 11, 3:20 am ET

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama told voters repeatedly during the health care debate that the overhaul legislation would bring down fast-rising health care costs and save them money. Now, he's hemming and hawing on that.
So far, the law he signed earlier this year hasn't had the desired effect. An analysis from Medicare's Office of the Actuary this week said that the nation's health care tab will go up — not down — through 2019 as a result of Obama's sweeping law, though the increase is modest.
Obama offered some caveats when asked in his news conference Friday about the apparent discrepancy between what he promised and what's actually happening so far. On several other topics, too, his rhetoric fell short of a full accounting.

Democrats have been told to avoid the question of cost savings mainly because they know they can't sell it anymore.

FACT CHECK: Obama's tone shifts on health care - Yahoo! News

FACT CHECK: Obama's tone shifts on health care

By ERICA WERNER and CALVIN WOODWARD, Associated Press Writers
Sat Sep 11, 3:20 am ET

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama told voters repeatedly during the health care debate that the overhaul legislation would bring down fast-rising health care costs and save them money. Now, he's hemming and hawing on that.
So far, the law he signed earlier this year hasn't had the desired effect. An analysis from Medicare's Office of the Actuary this week said that the nation's health care tab will go up — not down — through 2019 as a result of Obama's sweeping law, though the increase is modest.
Obama offered some caveats when asked in his news conference Friday about the apparent discrepancy between what he promised and what's actually happening so far. On several other topics, too, his rhetoric fell short of a full accounting.

Democrats have been told to avoid the question of cost savings mainly because they know they can't sell it anymore.

Actually they are avoiding the whole topic except to say we need to re-elect them so they can fix it.
This really is the advice they are getting.
If, Gd forbid, the Democrats manage to scrape out a win in the House you can bet Speaker Pelosi will still be history.

Look, it's called "politics". It's a game. It involves creating perceptions and strategies in order to look good, influence public opinion, and get things done.
If you think every political system is not like that then I'd suggest you grow the fuck up and get with the picture.
We are not going to be governed by people who say things with total unconcern for how they are going to be perceived in the media. That's just the reality. Live with it.

:clap2::clap2:

Thank you for a wonderfully accurate Republican Perspective, and for illustrating why they are as popular as they are: They cannot say what they mean, and mean what they say.

Actually they are avoiding the whole topic except to say we need to re-elect them so they can fix it.
This really is the advice they are getting.
If, Gd forbid, the Democrats manage to scrape out a win in the House you can bet Speaker Pelosi will still be history.

Running away from party and actions:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/13/us/politics/13ads.html?_r=2&hp

September 12, 2010
In Ad Wars, Democrats Shy From Ties to Own Party
By JEFF ZELENY
WASHINGTON — Representative Mark Schauer of Michigan does not dwell on the legislation he has voted for during his first term in Congress, which includes the Democratic stimulus plan and health insurance overhaul. But he reminds his constituents what he has fought against, declaring, “I must ask myself 10 times a day, what is Washington thinking?”

Representative Glenn Nye of Virginia does not mention in his television advertisements that he is a Democrat. But he expresses a deep worry about the national debt, saying, “I stood up to my party leaders and voted no.”

Representative Suzanne M. Kosmas of Florida looks straight into the camera during her latest commercial and declares, “People in this district are mad, and I’m mad, too.”

The advertisements from these three vulnerable Democrats offer a window into the party’s strategy to try to keep control of the House in November at a moment when Republicans and their allies are substantially outspending Democrats and their backers.

Two years after arriving in Washington on a message of hope and change, Democratic candidates are not extolling their party’s accomplishments, but rather distancing themselves from their party’s agenda.

Forum List

Back