71% Say Another 9/11 is Likely To Happen

Discussion in 'Politics' started by chanel, Sep 12, 2010.

?

Do you predict a terror attack within the decade?

Poll closed Oct 12, 2010.
  1. Very likely

16 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Likely

7 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Not likely

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  4. I hope so because America deserves it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    71% Say Another 9/11 is Likely To Happen In Next 10 Years - Rasmussen Reports

I'd be interested to see who would agree/disagree with this report. I believe an attempt is "very likely". A successful attack? I pray not.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    I don't see the 0bama people taking the issue seriously, which was one of the problems of the Clinton administration as well, the systems we have in place are mostly either chinese fire drill or worse, a useless burden on normal folks, and the terrorists have learned a few darwinian lessons over the last 9 nears, I am pretty sure that A) we are going to get something similar or worse and B) I think the time frame is closer to 5 years than 10

3. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    I agree. And if one is thwarted, I expect it to be by accident by a vigilant citizen just like at Times Square. If anyone has used public transportation in NY, they have seen reminders everywhere "If you see something; say something". I'm not sure if that's what people do elsewhere, but denying the possibilities will ensure a successful attack.

4. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,085
    With every anniversary of 9-11 that passes, I am amazed that another attack hasn't occurred.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. washamericom

washamericom Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,701
    does anyone know how many children were killed that day? cause the differece from past wars i think, is that those muslims targeted civilians, women and children and men non military. of course japan nuked notwithstanding... was the al qaeda/taliban intent to end the war?

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    If it had happened an hour later, I believe it would have been 10 fold.

7. washamericom

washamericom Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,701
    don't think the western world is used to having war served up as religion. there is protestant against catholic in ireland, that's terrorism, and of course the one million year old battle between arab and jew. christians tend not to take religion to the battlefield (in modern times... since the holy wars). i've never heard a christian say "we must kill the infidels" however team christian touts "thou shall have no other god before me". religion can be confusing

8. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Thinking your religion is "better" is not the quite same thing as wanting to kill non-believers or setting up a religious theocracy. I'm not aware of any other religion that would want that in the U.S. except for the Muslims. Or maybe the atheists. :eusa_whistle:

9. rightwinger

rightwinger Paid Messageboard Poster Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +45,443
    I doubt if they have the ability to duplicate an attack of the magnitude of 9-11. Planes are no longer available and security is much tighter than ten years ago. The command structure of AlQaida has been severely compromised and their access to funding has been cut.
    More importantly, they do not have the support of the Islamic world they once did. I believe there was a romantic view towards jihadists as freedom fighters and martyrs. They are now seen as the terrorists they are.
    Recent attempts at attacks have been amateurish blunders showing how far they have fallen in terms of preparation and execution.

Will there be attacks in the future? Probably yes, but they will be relatively minor

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  10. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    You took the words out of my mouth. I think 9/11 made it clear we are not immune and sooner or later another attack will happen. But another attack on the same scale? I doubt it. Look also at the level of vigilance in the public and the fact that law enforcement takes citizen reports seriously. Before 9/11, would the would-be Times Square bombers have been reported? Would the people reporting it have been laughed off? If somebody were taking pilot lessons now and didn't want to learn how to land, would it be shrugged off? It's a whole different attitude and awareness. That makes a difference.